Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

UTI & spotting in first tri - miscarriage or normal?

(19 Posts)
mummymccar Tue 05-Jul-11 10:23:58

Since last wednesday I've been having some abdominal cramping on my right side which wasn't too bad at first but which really ramped up yesterday. I went straight to hospital and they diagnosed me with a UTI. They gave me antibiotics and sent me home, but a few hours later I realised that I was spotting (just a little bit of pink mucousy discharge). We went straight back to the hospital, where, to be honest I was hysterical. They saw me straight away and discharged me again within an hour of getting there with instructions to 'go home, read some books on pregnancy' (yes, said exactly like that) and to come back tomorrow (weds) for an early pregnancy scan. I haven't had any bleeding or spotting since.
I'm terrified that this is the beginning of the end and don't know if I should be preparing myself. The way the hospital dealt with us seemed to suggest this was something we shouldn't worry about, although they gave us no reassurance. Has anyone else experienced a UTI with spotting and gone on to have a healthy pregnancy? I'm 6+5
Thanks

kri5ty Tue 05-Jul-11 10:27:49

Hi hun

Omg i cant believe how badly they treated you, that is an awful thing to say!! I think (not 100%) that you can get spotting with a UTI, i seem to remember getting it a few yers ago when i was not pregnant. it was kind of a very light pink colour

I know it is hard but try to stay calm, you will be able to see everything tomorrow on the scan.. i had an early scan at around 6 weeks, and could see the heartbeat!! smile it was a lovely thing to see, as most people have to wait until 12 weeks x

mummymccar Tue 05-Jul-11 10:33:58

Thank you Kri5ty. We're trying to stay hopeful as I haven't had any 'proper' bleeding. I think if I hadn't been so hysterical at the hospital I would have gone crazy. My symptoms were also a bit easier yesterday so I asked if that was a sign of miscarriage and the same woman said 'That'd just pregnancy. Have you bought any books yet?' Me: 'Yes, but I just wanted to...' Her: 'Read them then'. Normally they are really nice at this hospital, she was the only person I've ever encountered there that was so awful, but she really made the experience worse.
I wasn't sure if we would be able to see anything tomorrow, but I'm quite excited now!

Coppernoddle Tue 05-Jul-11 10:35:18

Oh what a way to treat a first time mother!!! Sometimes I think they employ the most people with no feelings!!! I had bleeding at 6 weeks which was an implantation bleed and again at 8 weeks where the placenta implants aswell. It wasn't a lot, but enough to get you worried! My sister had periods until she was 5 months pregnant and had no idea! Don't panic! And with the antibiotics, at this time baby is still using the hormones to grow and develop, not your blood and placenta. Baby doesn't switch over to placenta till about 12-14 weeks, so don't worry about the anti biotics. Good luck for tomorrow x x

kri5ty Tue 05-Jul-11 10:41:40

I am honestly shocked about that!!

yes, it will be an internal scan tomorrow (more than likely), it is fine and does not hurt at all, on mine they found a cyst on my right ovary that was protecting the devloping egg... the pains i had was this detatching itself.

if it is too early to see the heartbeat you can still see the "alien" mine kind of looked like a mini elephant!

I know the cramping is normal, although i never had it, and hopefully the spotting may just be due to the UTI

I know they were very rude at the hospital, but try to tke comfort in the fact that they were not bothered (as they couldnt be worried smile ) i would have gone there too x

mummymccar Tue 05-Jul-11 10:51:23

Thanks Coppernoddle. Its my first pregnancy so although I've been reading a lot (despite what the nurse was insinuating) I'm freaking out about anything that hasn't been mentioned in the books.
Thank you for reassuring me ladies, I've been in a funk on the sofa today watching 'the hills' because I couldn't be bothered to switch the channel.
I was worrying about the antibiotics so thanks for the reassurance about that too.
Thank you xxx

mummymccar Tue 05-Jul-11 10:55:31

Kri5ty - Fingers crossed we see little bean tomorrow.
I'm trying to take the nurse's rudeness as annoyance that I was taking up her time with something so routine. I'm feeling a lot better now since coming on here. Thanks for reassuring me
x

ToriaPumpkin Tue 05-Jul-11 11:08:16

Just to put your mind at rest about the anti biotics, I had a UTI diagnosed at 16 weeks (though had probably had it since 8 weeks judging by my urine results at my booking in appt) and took the pills then as was assured they were safe. They did turn my wee bright green though!

Also had many incidences of spotting (six so far and am now 23+5) and have had two scans and two listens of the heartbeat and all is well smile

Fingers crossed you get to see your little bean tomorrow and everything is fine.

mummymccar Tue 05-Jul-11 11:32:34

Thank you ToriaPumpkin - glad your little bean was ok and I'm feeling a lot better about mine now too.
Thank you everyone!

mummymccar Tue 05-Jul-11 11:32:36

Thank you ToriaPumpkin - glad your little bean was ok and I'm feeling a lot better about mine now too.
Thank you everyone!

kri5ty Wed 06-Jul-11 07:23:52

good luck mummymccar xx

Coppernoddle Wed 06-Jul-11 09:32:05

Good luck for today!! Don't be worried if you don't see much as your very early! My first scan at 6 weeks all they said was, "well there are signs of a pregnancy there, so we'll scan you next week again" (not very reassuring!!) all there was was a blob!! The following week, I saw a tiny heartbeat, so don't panic if you don't see much today!

mummymccar Wed 06-Jul-11 16:37:00

Just back from the scan and all is well!!! Such a relief. We saw our little bean and even a heartbeat. Really looking forward to the next scan now so that we can see how she is growing. Thank you so much for all your reassurance and well wishes ladies, it really meant the world to me.

Coppernoddle Wed 06-Jul-11 18:09:16

Fantastic news!! Now you can relax!! Phew!! smile

lolajane2009 Wed 06-Jul-11 19:13:10

i had spotting with a uti at 14 weeks and it was pinky red. so scary. also had unexplained spotting at 7 and 11 weeks.no reason behind it and I am now 30 weeks pregnant.

mummymccar Wed 06-Jul-11 19:28:36

Thank you! So relieved!

kri5ty Thu 07-Jul-11 07:28:59

awww fantastic hun smile

How amazing is it to see that little heart beat racing??!! grin
And only abother 6 weeks (ish) until you get to see it again!!
xx

mummymccar Thu 07-Jul-11 13:45:44

Thanks kri5ty!

GetOffOfMyCloud Thu 07-Jul-11 14:06:36

Glad everything was okay, I also bled a little between 6 and 8 weeks (and panicked and had an early scan) so I think it's more normal than most people realise. Good luck with everything. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now