Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Calf Cramp advice please.

(14 Posts)
nunnie Tue 05-Jul-11 07:58:08

I get it most if not every night and I usually get out of bed and walk and it eases. Last night I got it but it was really painful to the point where it made me vocal (not able to repeat on here too many ladies present) and brought a tear to my eye, it took longer to ease as I was unable to put any pressure on it.

Anyway waffle aside, is there anything I can do to reduce it happening again?

Thank you

Bartimaeus Tue 05-Jul-11 08:06:50

If you do a search on mumsnet you'll find lots of similar threads with good advice (although I can't quite remember a lot of them blush)

The advice I was given was drink a lot of water and up your magnesium intake.

I'm sure someone else will be along soon with better advice!

coastgirl Tue 05-Jul-11 08:09:14

Drinking more milk helped with mine.

nunnie Tue 05-Jul-11 08:09:48

Ohh searching would have been logical (I am no good at logical thinking in the morning).
Thank you.

goodnightmoon Tue 05-Jul-11 09:39:12

stretch whenever you can - a heel dip on a stair with ball of foot on step and heel stretching down can really help. do it a few times a day for 60 seconds.

Vix286 Tue 05-Jul-11 09:43:48

I get this too, my MW said Tonic Water and Bananas?

However I then read threads on here saying too much Tonic Water was not a good thing, so you might want to do some research?

I had a banana chopped up with a pot of custard on it microwaved for a couple of minutes for pudding and it did seem to help.

Pillow under your feet as well?

To be honest the biggest trigger for me day or night is if my feet or calves get cold, even if its a hot night and I stick my feet out the duvet they cramp, and wearing flip flops down the cold food aisles of Tescos had made hopping up and down like a loon whilst DH looked on bemused! grin

nunnie Tue 05-Jul-11 09:52:44

Mmmm bananas and custard I think I can just about cope with that wink

94100 Tue 05-Jul-11 10:16:12

I get terribly painful leg cramp each pregnancy, the only thing that works for is a course of magnesium B6 tablets as advised by my pharmicist, truly radical.

H007 Tue 05-Jul-11 10:53:50

Bananas have lots of magnesium in them so should help smile

Booboostoo Tue 05-Jul-11 11:34:17

My doc put me on a magnesium supplement which sorted me out immediately.

candr Tue 05-Jul-11 17:27:01

Hi, have bad cramp myself and was getting it a few times each night. I have a heat pad that is from Boots £20 and switch it on as soon as I feel cramp often after 4am, it heats instantly and helps. I also have milk and a banana a short while before bed and it has made a huge difference. Have previously woken my neighbours with colourful language after cramp for 4th time in same place. Try to bend toes up which hurts like hell but the pain stops quicker. Good luck cause I can really sympathise and hope this helps

PrincessJenga Tue 05-Jul-11 17:43:26

Wear socks in bed (for some reason I get less cramps when my feet are warm) and invest in a smoothie maker! Since I started having a banana smoothie (literally just banana, milk and ice) each day I've got cramp maybe once every four nights, much improved on the four times a night I was getting it!

hazelnutlatte Tue 05-Jul-11 18:01:12

my midwife recommended I eat a banana a day - it seems to be working so far as I've not had a proper leg cramp since!

nickstermum Tue 05-Jul-11 19:53:55

bananas smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now