Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ketones in urine at 37 weeks

(9 Posts)
GruffaloMama Mon 04-Jul-11 14:15:09

Just had a midwife appointment. My urine sample came back with 4+ ketones, but no glucose. I asked what it meant but she was obtuse and said she would send it off for further tests and the hospital would contact me if required. Does anyone know why I might have ketones or what they might do. Some history:
* I did have gestational diabetes with DS but have been tested this time twice and don't have it.
* I did the sample at 6am not having had breakfast and only having eaten lightly yesterday (was v hot and I couldn't be bothered with big meals)

I really want to keep this pregnancy low risk to enable me to have a more normal birth - DS was induced and his birth was not a great experience.

VioletV Mon 04-Jul-11 14:56:47

Hiya, It's normally because you hadn't eaten so your urine will show up with them. You best up your food and take a sample there and then rather than 6am as it'll show you at your worst after sleeping etc

HTH

Badgerwife Mon 04-Jul-11 14:57:32

I'll be watching this because I had the exact same thing this morning at my own midwife appt at 37+3, although it doesn't specify exactly on my notes, just ketones +

I'd missed the first pee sample (completely forgot) and so did it at 11am, just 10mins before my appt.

The midwife asked if I'd had breakfast (which I'd had but just cereals, about 2-3 hours before), she wasn't overly concerned but said I should make sure I eat proteins with each meal i.e. a little eggs, tuna of cheese

It sounds like it could very much just be due to your diet of the last 24hrs

I don't have any past history and it's my first baby, not sure if that'd have an effect

Badgerwife Mon 04-Jul-11 14:59:03

tuna or cheese
The thought of tuna at breakfast though <boak>

edwinbear Mon 04-Jul-11 15:34:22

I had this on Thurs, my midwife said it would be either that I hadn't eaten enough (I'd not had dinner the night before and had just had a salad for lunch) or that I was dehydrated, or both. She sent me off with midwives orders to eat cake and drink milk!

GruffaloMama Mon 04-Jul-11 15:37:42

Thanks both. Nicoise salad for breakfast does sound a little OTT! Will let them know. Have generally been feeling pretty well so it was a bit of a surprise.

Badgerwife I guess you must be due around 23? I'm 37+3 too, I think. Any twinges?

Badgerwife Mon 04-Jul-11 16:18:34

yep, 22 July, and not a twinge in sight, no Braxton Hicks, no nothing; Babybadger occasionally bumps her head on my pelvic bone but she's not engaged yet.
I however am willing her to arrive now smile

mumblebum Mon 04-Jul-11 16:25:14

I had this in my last pg when I was very ill and not eating much and being sick a lot. I got told sternly to eat more. It sounds like it may be related to you not eating much from what you have said.

GruffaloMama Mon 04-Jul-11 18:12:44

Thanks mumblebum - because of the gestational diabetes risk I thought I was doing the right thing not to go mad on the carbs... Doh! Have had some good wholemeal bread today with cheese for a snack this afternoon and will see how that goes.

Badgerwife - hope that the waiting isn't too long. I've been getting lots of Braxton Hicks but baby is still really high and no immediate signs of anything more interesting. Don't fancy another 5 weeks of this so have started lots of birth ball bouncing etc...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now