Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Come tell me I'm being a stupid cow about this Use By date

(10 Posts)
CBear6 Mon 04-Jul-11 13:35:49

I shared a pizza with my mum and DS for lunch, one of those Asda create your own things - sweetcorn, ham, and cheese. When I was putting the plates away I chucked the wrapper in the recycling and realise that it had "Use By 2nd July" stamped on it.

Feck.

It's been stored in the fridge, was piping hot when we ate it, and it tasted fine although now I know it was two days out of date it seems like the kitchen smells of off meat/ham, probably my imagination though.

Am I right in thinking that I should be okay, lesson learned, blah blah or am I going to get ecoli and salmonella and listeria and the bad mother award and all sorts of other nasties?

Please come tell me I'm worrying about nothing!

nannyl Mon 04-Jul-11 13:38:01

Im sure you will be fine

think about it 36 hours or so ago it was officially fine.... its been stored properly and was piping hot.... looked and smelled (at the time) normal

You will be fine!

KaraJS Mon 04-Jul-11 13:40:28

You should be fine, all food has to have a use by date by law but this doesn't mean the food goes off the min the date has passed, shops have to air on the side of caution so it won't be bad the min it goes out of date, try not to worry

CBear6 Mon 04-Jul-11 13:49:00

Know when you just need a slap and for someone to tell you to buck up? Thanks ladies smile

Renaissance227 Mon 04-Jul-11 16:02:51

Don't worry. I'm sure you'll be fine.
STOP BEING SILLY! smile

CBear6 Mon 04-Jul-11 16:12:40

Well I have a raging case of heartburn from the tomato sauce but other than that I could quite happily eat it again. I need a trough today, can't seem to fill a hole.

KatieWatie Mon 04-Jul-11 16:36:24

Really don't worry about it. I had some mince that I froze, defrosted, froze again, defrosted again, then left raw in the fridge for 8 days while I was away on holiday. When I came home it had mould spores growing on it and stank the whole house out.

Once cooked up it was fine and I mixed it with tomato sauce which disguised the taste of rot and the spores. I intend for my baby to be born hardened to the worst that my culinary skills can throw at it.

p.s. some of this is true (first paragraph), some is a lie (the rest)

LolaRennt Mon 04-Jul-11 16:41:37

YABS

MMM thinking of pizza
now

CBear6 Mon 04-Jul-11 17:09:12

Well yesterday DS kissed a goat and then kissed me straight after so I'm doomed anyway.

icravecheese Mon 04-Jul-11 18:57:03

My mum served me & my 2 kids meatballs when I was about 11 wks pregnant....I realised they weren't properly cooked through half way thru eating them, and then she told me they were a month out of date too, but they had been frozen so would be fine!!!
Suffice to say, she didnt realise I was preg at the time, & was horrified when I told her the following wk after my 12wk scan!!

I didnt get sick or food poisoning from them, and was tested for toxoplasmosis at about 17wks preg and that came back fine, so all fine!! I think best before dates are now VERY over cautious by supermarkets, just to cover their arses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now