Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

headaches in 1st trimester?

(6 Posts)
allhailtheaubergine Mon 04-Jul-11 11:16:18

I never get headaches.

6 weeks pregnant and this is my 3rd blinding headache this week.

It could just be because I am violently ill, nauseous, vomiting, gagging and utterly knackered. And struggling to eat and drink.

Is that likely?

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Mon 04-Jul-11 11:22:09

Could well be that you are dehydrated. Also it seems quite common to have a phase of daily headaches during the first/early second trimester, but in my experience and from previous MN threads I think this usually comes a bit later on, I think for me it was usually somewhere round the 12 to 18-weeks mark and then went off again after that.

You can use 4-Head for headaches in pregnancy, it helped me a bit; but if dehydration is the problem then only getting more fluids somehow will actually stop them I guess... can only suggest keep trying to drink and eat (though I know it's hard!) and try to get as much rest as you can - and chances are it will just be a phase and will pass soon, I hope so for your sake!

grottielottie Mon 04-Jul-11 11:25:40

It's probably a combination of your other symptoms, particularly dehydration, and the amount of extra hormones running around your body.

I had awful headaches which I had rarely had before, in my first trimester. I did my best to sip water constantly and took the occasional paracetamol when it got too much. They gradually got better and disappeared at around 16 weeks.

allhailtheaubergine Mon 04-Jul-11 12:45:40

Thanks both.

I will make an effort to sip water more.

Oeisha Mon 04-Jul-11 18:43:57

Just out of interest, how much paracetamol should we take in 1st trimester, both in 1 go, and over 24h?
I've got a viscious headache. If I wasn't pregnant (wk10/11 according to a 7wk scan) I'd assume I was pre-migraine...been lucky enough for the migraines to have gone so far...
Plenty hydrated (day off, so have been supping away at fluids).
Feel a bit hot, but then it IS hot (23.6*c), and have had plenty of rest too. Can't think of anything I've eaten that would trigger a migraine - but I did have a BAD day at work yesterday, so that'd usually be a good enough excuse for a migraine...

Oeisha Mon 04-Jul-11 18:45:24

Oh. and I've had a few headaches before, including yesterday, but have put this down to tiredness previously. They've not been this bad and they've not lasted very long. Only about 1h into this one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now