Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone done Slimming World while pregnant?

(7 Posts)
WantBaby Mon 04-Jul-11 10:37:48

Hi am 5 weeks pg. Got pg 2 years ago and was on steriods so put on a lot of weight and then lost the baby at 20 weeks. Still haven't lost all the weight I put on and am worried about how big I might get this time. I've heard that you can do Slimming World while pregnant - has anyone else tried this?

tea4tw0 Mon 04-Jul-11 12:46:53

Hi - Slimming World is the only slimming plan approved during pregnancy. It is not so much a diet that you follow until you reach an ideal weight and then go back to the old eating habits - it's a permanent new way of healthy eating - and i don't mean rabbit food. I highly recommend it and during pregnancy it will be closely monitored by your midwife too.

fallingandlaughing Mon 04-Jul-11 16:25:42

Don't do anything without discussing it with your GP. Pregnancy is not the time to be depriving yourself, and not the time to be losing weight.

IssyStark Mon 04-Jul-11 16:50:46

Yes, Slimming World pregnancy plans are fully endorsed by the Royal College of Midwives and in fact some NHS Trusts actually pay for mums-to-be to go to Slimming World.

Your midwife will have to agree to your attendence and sign a form saying she's still happy with you going whenever you see her. On the form she can advise on a weight goal (e.g. putting on no more than N pounds by next appt) or she can leave it blank.

I'm 17w pregnant and am doing SW. I was doing it before I became pregnant this time as I'd put a load of weight on following multiple miscarriages. I'm not losing any weight but I am making sure I am eating healthily, including all the necessary food groups. And there's the social aspect to it as well which I really enjoy.

IssyStark Mon 04-Jul-11 16:55:51

@ fallingandlaughing

You can lose weight during pregnancy safely but it of course depends how overweight you are to being with. Being very overweight when pregnany and/or in labour presents its own set of problems and can led to complications.

Slimming World is a healthy eating plan: the pregnancy plan is basically a maintenance plan to maintain weight rather than lose it. The only things you deprive yourself of are some fats and sugars. Fruit, veg, pasta, rice, meat, fish, very low fat yoghurt can all be eaten in unlimited quanities, other diary, nuts, seeds and cereals should be eaten daily in limited quanities. If you need chocolate every day you can have chocolate every day but just not bars and bars of it!

DoodleAlley Mon 04-Jul-11 17:50:34

I carried on with slimming world while pregnant. The midwife and dr were really impressed with it but I had to stop (personal choice) when continued sickness meant I could only eat small amounts of certain types of goods which didn't fit in with slimming world plan.

Certainly in a normal pregnancy I'd see no problem provided your midwife knows in case it becomes relevant

harrygracejessica Mon 04-Jul-11 17:56:23

I followed plan loosely and gained 3 stone with twins, that 3 stone went within 2 weeks of having the boys. It def helps change your eating ways smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now