Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Severe stomach pain only 4 weeks in

(9 Posts)
goodscrabblescore Mon 04-Jul-11 09:05:55

I'm probably over reacting but I'm sure it's not normal to be woken up by stomach cramps several times a night and having such intense pain in the day that I double over and cry. I've had this for the past 2 weeks and have slept through the night only once during this fortnight.

I've been helpfully told to eat oats by my doctor and to take paracetamol but neither are working. I've had an early scan because of the pain and light bleeding but baby seems ok and it's not ectopic.

I don't think I'm a wuss (I've suffered from IBS over the years and can have a bikini wax without wincing wink) but I'm struggling to work out how I'm going to cope with this pain for the next 8 months if it's '...just one of those things...'. Any ideas, helpful advice?

Mmmmcheese Mon 04-Jul-11 09:08:02

When you say stomach cramps is it an intestinal pain or more like period pain? I have an irritable uterus and get period pains on and off all the time. They can be very bad and I have to "breathe" through them. Paracetamol does nothing and they wake me up at night as well. Doctors can't do anything about it. I'm also scared at the thought of spending the next 6 months in pain. I'm 15 weeks now.

spookshowangel Mon 04-Jul-11 09:15:44

i had this as well was told it was just like period pains...my ass. was very painful and had me worried but i am around 7 weeks now and it has passed so fingers crossed it wont come back.

goodscrabblescore Mon 04-Jul-11 09:20:24

Thank you mmmmcheese for your reply. It's hard to pin down - it feels like both kinds of cramp. I know I'm expecting to get constipated etc and my, ahem, 'movements' aren't as they were (TMI?) but this is a potent combo: like a bad period mixed up with the worst tummy bug pain.

I'm sorry to hear you are in discomfort too and if I find anything out, I'll post it. Perhaps hypnosis or something similar might help with pain management.

goodscrabblescore Mon 04-Jul-11 09:21:34

Thanks spookshowangel. There's hope!

kri5ty Mon 04-Jul-11 09:24:40

I had a similar experience,

Terrible pains that woke me up at night, i was sweating, shaking and passing out the pains were that bad (not the "period pains" you read about) I had no bleeding

i went to gp who told me to go to a&e in case it was ectopic, then i was under the care of the early pregnancy unit

they checked my blood every 2 days to make sure my hormones were doubling, then when they were high enough i had a scan to make sure the pregnancy was developing in th correct place and not eptopic

i turned out it was caused by a cyst that sometimes gorws over the developing egg to protect it,t he pain was caused when the cyst started to detatch

I also had really bad constipation... but this was not related, apprently it happens in very early pregnancy

if the pain is really bad i would say go to a&e just to be sure its not eptopic, and for more assurance
One of the main sigs of eptopic though is shoulder tip pains x

goodscrabblescore Mon 04-Jul-11 09:31:36

Early pregnancy unit confirmed it's not ectopic but I'm going back to the docs today to tell him oats aren't cutting it! Thanks Kr5ty.

kri5ty Mon 04-Jul-11 09:35:04

aww good luck at the docs goodscrabblescore

My pains lasted from around week 4-7 when the cyst broke away, so if it is that (and its apprently reall common) it should stop soon!

haha i should have read your post properly as you said you had been to the epu already lol derrrr

goodscrabblescore Mon 04-Jul-11 20:28:06

Doc says it's uterine ligament pain. He's given me strong painkillers. Anybody got a better idea?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now