Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Big Bump at 11+5 (first pregnancy) - this can't be right?

(21 Posts)
AKP79 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:40:30

Hi

I'm having a little (well big really) worry because I seem to have a big bump and I'm only 11weeks +5. I look as pregnant as my friend did at 5 months. The bump is a lot smaller in the morning, but seems massive in the evening. I have put on weight in the last 12 weeks, but I don't think (and I hope) the bump isn't a result of this as it does look like a pregnancy bump rather than flab and it's quite firm.

Everyone else I know who have had babies haven't looked like this, this early on, it's getting me really down.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm really worried that I will be absolutely massive towards the end.

x

TyDontWannaMissAthing Sun 03-Jul-11 20:44:55

Have you had a scan yet? Are you sure it isnt twins?
It is normal for the bump to be larger by the end of the day. When I was 30 weeks in the morning i didnt even look pg, but i had a very small bump for both of my 2 pg.

JenniL1977 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:48:51

Are you drinking enough water? Could be water retention. Or bloating from too much salt in your diet, or an allergy (pregnancy does wierd things to you and you might be intolerant to something you've never had problems with before)
When's your 12 wk scan? It could be twins... Much bigger bump early on with twins.
If you're worried, call your mw or gp, they won't mind.

outthere Sun 03-Jul-11 20:50:34

Are you normally quite slim? I showed very significantly before 12 weeks with both my pregnancies. However even though I showed early, my bumps seemed to "even" out and be very similar to everyone else's by the end.

I really wouldn't worry - enjoy the fact that you seem to have skipped that stage where you look more fat than pregnant - I couldn't wait to have a proper bump!

AKP79 Sun 03-Jul-11 21:00:17

Hi - thanks for the replies. It's possible it could be bloating, I've been craving salty things, so have been adding salt to my food more than I was before and I could probably do with increasing my water intake. I should of mentioned before, I had a dating scan at 8 weeks, so I know it's definitely only one! Have got my 12 week scan on Tuesday!

Outthere - I'm 5'6" and was a 10/12 before I became pregnant - I'm already in size 14 clothes! Some of it is definitely weight gain because I was losing weight before on a very low calorie diet, so eating more every day resulted in a quick weight gain. But whilst I'm sure some of the bump is fat, it definitely looks like a baby bump

Thanks for the reassurances though, I suppose I'm just really worried I'm going to have a really big baby! Ouch!

Sorry for rambling!

x

pregnantmimi Sun 03-Jul-11 21:05:20

I got a massive bump in the first trimester!!!

Was embarrasing telling people only 10 weeks lol.

Its gone down a bit now mind you I put on a stone and half and lost half a stone in second trimester.xx

AKP79 Sun 03-Jul-11 21:16:21

Thanks pregnantmimi... it's good to hear I'm not the only one!! And very reassuring to know that you've managed to lose some weight in the second trimester. Can I ask, is that something you've tried to do or has it happened naturally? The weight gain has been really bothering me so I'm hoping I might be able to lose a bit once I've got through this tired, ratty and nauseous stage! xx

witches Sun 03-Jul-11 21:27:49

I showed super early too but... I am massive at 37weeks! People kept asking me the twin thing too but no just one. Have put on like 4 stone tho and people still tell me its all bump - clearly not or else biggest baby ever! Hoping water retention might account for some of the weight.

blueeyedmonster Sun 03-Jul-11 21:52:51

I have a bump the same size as I did at 22 weeks with ds and I am 12 weeks tomorrow! I've put on no weight yet though...........hoping my scan reveals only one in there. I'm pretty sure my bump will even out at some point.

outthere Sun 03-Jul-11 22:00:50

AKP - I'm 5'6 and normally size ten too. I put on loads of weight early on because of sickness.

I was asked outright by two separate people at work whether I was pregnant even though I was only 10 weeks. The lady who asked me was mortified when I said how early it was and that I didn't want people to know - she thought I was about 20 weeks and wondered why I was keeping it a secret!

Also, some people just have a shallow pelvis which means you show earlier. I'm 19 weeks now and although I haven't lost any weight, my appetite has evened out and my weight has steadied. I'm not going to try and lose any weight while pregnant but I'm certainly trying to be healthier and generally eat less now that my sickness has subsided. I'm hoping I won't gain too much more fat before the end... (seems to be going ok so far).

Good luck!

Tillyscoutsmum Sun 03-Jul-11 22:03:35

I had huge bumps with both of mine. I couldn't get into my normal work clothes at 6 weeks and there was no way on earth I could have kept my pregnancies secret until 12 weeks. Everyone was always asking if I was having twins. I did have big babies though hmm

peppapighastakenovermylife Sun 03-Jul-11 22:04:39

Babies don't really vary in size that much up to around 14 weeks so you can't really get a 'big' baby in the first trimester or so. That is why they use the measurements from your 12 week scan to date you (but these measurements are less accurate at 20 weeks).

It could just be twins, the way you carry a baby, bloating, constipation grin - sorry!

I wouldnt worry about the baby being big though smile

AKP79 Sun 03-Jul-11 22:09:38

Hi Outthere... thanks so much for your message, so reassuring to hear I'm not alone! I'm hoping I'll end up in the same situation as you with everything settling down.

I'm trying to keep my pregnancy a secret until after my scan, but it's like my belly has ballooned this weekend! At least I've only got two days to go until I can tell everyone. I'm sure I can work some clothing magic until Wednesday!

I'll keep my fingers crossed on your weight gain for you, but sounds like things have slowed down for you.

xx

pregnantmimi Mon 04-Jul-11 20:46:31

Hi me again I put on stone and a half so went from 11 stone 4 size 12 to 12 stone 11 in first trimeseter I even had a woman on the plane saying to me ooooo hope you dont give birth on the plane lol.

In the second trimester my appitite went down thats all I found in the first trimester I felt more hungry and it seemed to help with sickness. So the weight dropped off quite fast.

Also I noticed my face puffed up a bit so perhaps it was fluid retention so no no change in diet just find I cant finish what im eating where as before I would scoff the lot and more.

Im hoping the weight gain will stay like this Im in size 14 and dont want to get much bigger now apart from bump.

pregnantmimi Mon 04-Jul-11 20:47:14

Im down to 12 stone 3 now without dieting

eurochick Mon 04-Jul-11 23:00:02

One of my friends was showing at 6 weeks with her first and had a full on baby bump by 12 weeks - she looked much more pregnant than she actually was. Some women just show earlier than others.

Badgerwife Tue 05-Jul-11 13:15:02

I was totally freaked out I was going to have twins when I was in my first trimester, because I went off work for a month due to morning sickness around the 7-12 weeks, lost half a stone, and still could not get into any of my work clothes when I went back to work. Thankfully there is only one in there smile

It might just have to do with your body shape...

BellaCB Tue 05-Jul-11 18:27:57

If it's any consolation I am 11+4 and I'm massive too, it's a proper pregnancy bump and I am struggling with almost all my clothes - I couldn't keep this secret if I had wanted to!! I've already had a scan at 8+3 and its definitely not twins, so I wouldn't be too worried about that. Personally I think mine is a combination of 'bad luck' i.e. I'm just going to show, and body shape - I tend towards a sticky-out tummy anyway, so I suppose it's not an enormous surprise. Don't get too worried - everyone's body shape is different!

Jennyrosity Wed 06-Jul-11 10:46:50

Are you me? I am 11+3 and have had an obvious bump since about week 4! Like you it is all bump, smaller in the morning, and very firm to the touch. It has been impossible to keep it a secret - colleagues guessed weeks ago - and I had to give in and buy some maternity clothes 3 weeks ago because nothing fitted anymore. People keep telling me I've either got my dates wrong (I haven't) or that it must be twins (I doubt it), and my mum has taken to calling the bump "Nellie" (as in "...the Elephant").

My MiL says she showed very early with DH, but it was mostly water, so it could be that. Big babies (8lb plus) do run in my family though, so who knows....

pixiekid Wed 06-Jul-11 19:30:45

I started showing really early (around 9 weeks), I think a lot was hormonal/fluid and it settled for a while before the major growth started. I'm now 22 weeks and people seem to have a look of disbelief when I tell them I'm due in November as they all presume it's an autumn baby...

salmam Wed 13-Jul-11 13:36:12

Hi, I'm just trawling the internet looking for anyone who has a bump early. This is my 7th pregnancy, and in all of them I had a bump early! With No1 my GP thought i was around 6 months pregnant when I went to see him. I went for a dating scan 3 weeks later to find out I was only 5 weeks pregnant when I saw him. I cried a bucket load worrying how big I would be by the end, but everything was fine. Different peoples bodies react differently to the change in hormone levels. On pregnancy No 3 my 4 year old son came into the bedroom when I was changing the bedding and must have caught me at an unflattering angle because he pipped up with "mammy your tummies getting big is there a baby in there?" Again I was only around 5 week and hadn't actually done a test. The day I took the test a lady in church asked me how long I had left to go!! Anyway, the main thing that gets to me is that everyone knows straight away that I'm expecting, I can't hide it and it feels like I'm pregnant forever! I've never had that secret time when just you and dad know. Even when I've chosen not to speak to people about being pregnant until three months I still end up with strangers commenting and family and friends teasing me trying to get me to tell them. But this time I have decided to just be proud and not to worry about other people. Pregnancy is such a special time, why spoil it? So, no it is not that common to have a bump very early on but I have been reassured time and again that it does happen and that it is normal.

A good excuse to buy lots of new maternity clothes since I'll get a lot more wear out of them than most!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: