Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

id you manage to stay home for as long as you thought before going to the hospital?

(30 Posts)
JimmyChoo17 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:13:59

hi

For everyone who had their FIRST baby, if you had planned to stay home as long as possible before going in......did you really stick to this plan?

Considering you have no idea of how u will react for your first and also that unknown without baby monitoring - is everything ok with baby, is this normal and also for more pain relief.....

My plan is to stay at home as long as possible before going into midwife unit for water birth. I'm thinking of ordering a tens machine to use whilst I'm at home but wondering how realistic it is to think that I will stay at home long enough to use it? Considering it's first birth you see?

I'm a low risk birth and only 5 mins from hospital.

Would love to hear how other mums dealt with their first birth BEFORE going into hospital.

Cheers.

apple99 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:25:33

With my first my contractions started at about 6pm, they were very mild though so didn't panic, as they started to pick up speed and get more painful at about 11pm my waters broke all over my new carpet!!! I rang the hospital who asked me to come in, it is a 25 min drive so off we went, as my waters were clear and I was only 1cm dilated I was sent home only to return 2 hours later 3cm dilated and not coping with the pain at home.

I would have liked to have stayed at home longer but like I said above I was not coping with my contractions which were all in my back and making it hard for me to cope without pain relief. As you live so close to the hospital you may feel more comfortable at home if you are managing with your contractions.

I had a tens machine but didn't really like using it, however have friends who loved them and used them at home before going in.

JimmyChoo17 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:28:26

Thanks, did you try anything like a hot bath or painkillers? Have been told to try that too but wondering if helps.

I may well just order the machine as only £30 hire and if it works I'm sure will be glad of it. Most people I know have said they got more out of the distraction of using it mind!

Did you feel panicked at all whilst at home in that pain?

JimmyChoo17 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:29:58

Ps I'm avoiding spending time in certain rooms in my house at the moment due to new carpet smile I've been hanging out in the kitchen in case! Knowing my luck I'll pop at work! (I'm 38+1)

apple99 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:36:33

I didn't feel panicky at first more relieved as I was 10 days overdue and booked in for induction the next day (which I wasn't looking forward to).

After being sent home I felt more panicky as my contractions picked up very quickly. I was told to have a bath and take paracetamol which I did, helped a little but getting out of the bath was less than glamourous (more like a stuck pig!).

I am 33 weeks with my 2nd now and am hoping I will cope better and stay at home longer before going in but am trying to keep an open mind. My main worry is the drive to the hospital, which in rush hour can take much much longer than 25 mins it takes late at night!!

LauLauLemon Sun 03-Jul-11 20:37:37

My first baby was an induction at 39 weeks so I.was in the hospital.

With my second I.was in false labour for a month so when it happened I just fobbed it off. DD2 almost vame on the toilet (I thought I was constipated and when I was pushing due to pain I thought I needed a poo not that I was pushing out my baby!)

DD2 came on the living room floor and the midwives and paramedics just made it in time. I kept waiting until I felt like I couldn't anymore but it just didn't happen. Although painful it wasn't unbearable and never reached that point.

I guess I'm trying to say you may have a high pain tolerance and so.when it's time you.may not feel like it's bad enough.

LauLauLemon Sun 03-Jul-11 20:38:03

Excuse the errors. Phone is silly.

JimmyChoo17 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:39:45

Am very lucky am so close and several access routes to the hospital for us. The speed humps on one road might b hard mind!!!!

This week (38) I have developed stuck pig syndrome too.... Have hit the stage where I need assistance getting up, bending over....the bath is a mission!

JimmyChoo17 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:43:39

Lau I imagine that was a surprise number 2!!

Did you get to stay home or did they take u in? I guess when the time comes u just ring yourself to it..

JimmyChoo17 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:44:26

Ring? Resign!!! Yep am with you on the annoying phone deciding what I'm writing with predictive text!

Flossbert Sun 03-Jul-11 20:45:28

I didn't really have any expectations, and was happy to go to hospital when the tens machine wasn't cutting it any longer. Tbh, I'd completely forgotten about paracetamol as an option and could only think about gas and air! Also, for me, a bath really slowed things down, as did sitting in the car. Upright and mobile was the only way to get the show on the road!

Pavlovthecat Sun 03-Jul-11 20:51:52

first birth, waters went at 5:30am or so, had to go into hosp to get checked out due to previous concerns relating to birthweight (had been due for induction due to size issue).

Checked in hosp at 9am, sent home, got home at 11am latest, and stayed at home through BH, first painful contraction at 1:30pm, left home for hospital at 6:45pm into hospital delivery suite by 7:30pm at 7cm dilated. baby arrived at 11:47pm.

I managed at home by

1. tens machine once contractions were painful (not sure if it helped, but it bloody annoyed me after 10 mins of forgetting to turn it off after contraction!)
2. Counting and writing down the times and lengths of contractions, gave me something to focus on
3. repacking my bag and re-going over my birth plan.
4. re-checked my ipod music
5. calming DH down and stopping him from repacking my bag (again) (he was quite keen to get to hospital)
6. paracetamol, have no idea if it helped or not!
8. moving about
9. contacting the labour ward when times sped up/pain changed to check if they wanted me in. They were fab with me calling, and helped me stay at home, i suspect I would have gone in earlier if I had left it to my own instinct/worry that I would give birth on carpet miss out on diamorphine!

I attempted the hot bath, but it irritated me, I could not relax in it, I just wanted to be moving around, so I got straight back out again. Same with the birthing ball, could not focus enough to just keep bouncing on it. I felt very figity in between contractions so just 'did stuff' to keep me occupied though, and moving about.

nicolamumof3 Sun 03-Jul-11 21:29:57

for all my labours i have stayed at home as long as possible. I never wanted to be 'sent home' from hospital and tbh first labour you have no clue and don't know how bad its going to get!

My first labour was 12 years ago now, but i laboured at home mostly by myself quite happily sent (now ex)hubby off to work he returned at lunchtime after my sil had called him! went for walk was getting painful and hard to differentiate between contractions. Went to hospital about 2.30ish, ds1 was born four hours later with no pain relief all very calm relaxed.

Similar labouring at home for ds2 and 3 ds2 was a bit more inclined to go in as was group b strep, they put me on ante natal ward on arrival and said i had a while to go. about half an hour later i couldn't walk or breathe through contractions and was whisked down to labour ward in wheelchair. Had only been in hospital few hours before he was born.

ds3 got to hospital about 6amish he was born 8.30am.

will hopefully be the same with dc4 who is due anytime now.

Do whatever feels right tho for you and your body, take it as it comes is definitely my advice!

nicolamumof3 Sun 03-Jul-11 21:31:40

agree with pavlov do anythign you can to distract and carry on with normal activities if poss if you want to stay at home as long as possible ime.

JimmyChoo17 Sun 03-Jul-11 21:39:48

[waves to nicola my due date twin!] exciting with the actual July births happening now ey?! Can u tell I'm really starting to think about it! smile

I really hope can stay away as long as poss ill have to see how it goes, am def going together the tens now tho. Just keep my legs crossed until it arrives!

Pussinflatboots Sun 03-Jul-11 22:01:27

My contractions started about midnight. Used tens machine - it was great. My contractions didn't really get regular, but were getting much stronger. Hospital reluctant to say I could come in - said to come at 6am as I should be in established labour by then (this was at 4am I think).
When I arrived I was refused pain relief 'you can't be in labour - contractions not strong enough or frequent enough'. Then was examined and heard 'where do you want to give birth? Push!' as was fully dilated and ready to go!!
I think believing that I wasn't in labour (at home) helped as psychologically I kept bracing myself for it to get much worse. Didn't have any of my specially packed mars bars! Knew I was in proper labour by the time I got to hospital - stripped off in delivery suite while mw was saying 'we may need to send you home!'.

sparklyrainbow Sun 03-Jul-11 22:06:43

didn't stay home at all as waters went with the second contraction (during the night) and they had meconium in, told to go straight in sad

munkiii Sun 03-Jul-11 22:09:33

I was fully dilated when we arrived. Wouldn't recommend it though!

Ishani Sun 03-Jul-11 22:16:58

They won't let you stay if you are less than 4cm's in my experience, I'd started off with my 4th at 6am and managed until about 1pm breathing through the contractions, hypnobirthing cd and a warm bath. Got to the hospital relatively calm and they wouldn't let me through the doors without enquiring how I knew I was in labour lol.
Everything does slow down once you get to hospital I find so I would stay home until you really cannot bear it. Oh and I self examined to know where I was up to and not going to get sent home.

JimmyChoo17 Sun 03-Jul-11 22:19:56

Erm...ishani..... that a case of working out how many fingers u were? Just transferred my hypo cd onto the iPod.

Ishani Sun 03-Jul-11 22:25:20

Basically yes, wash hands before and after lol but I loved feeling their heads really inspired me to keep going. Hypno birthing is fab, don't let people witter on and chat around you, my midwife asked dh if he had any CDs in the car we wanted to play, I pointed out I wanted silence to focus, she still didn't get it but try and get your partner to tell everyone to shut up other than vital questions. How are you is not a vital question ;-)

JimmyChoo17 Sun 03-Jul-11 22:32:14

I'm going to have to see if I can reach round and in enough sorry if that's tmi! Seem to have lost all agility this week! Hubby is very forward so he will be fab at keeping them in check, he's also my door bouncer for the newborn intruders post birth grin

allthefires Sun 03-Jul-11 22:33:31

I stayed at home for 24 hrs, back to back and slow painful labour. Am glad i went into lovely midwife unit when I did. Was getting scared and was so exhausted. Midwife suggested pethdine to help me rest which worked.
After 7 hours without progress I was transfered by ambulance to main hospital as midwife had concerns about BP and hoped they will put on drip/help labour along.

They didnt and tried to send me home and finally relented to admitting me onto a ward. Finally after a 48hr labour and 5 minutes on delivery ward he was born and the pushing didnt hurt at all.

I tried the tens, parcemotol, pool. The only thing to take the edge off it was the pool. However the others are worth a go as everyone is different and my pain was very intense due to him being back to back.

needsanswers Sun 03-Jul-11 23:56:57

they usually say with a first baby that the women gets so panicy that the midwifes kind of expect them to rush into hospital quickly, i went into labour about 1pm rang was very inconsistant tho, contractions started to get painful at about 8pm, let midwife know what was going on.. had several bath, alot of talk about how i had changed my mind and didnt want to do this anymore lol was a bit upset by 12.30am so midwife turned up, did a check and was 5cm dialated so went into hospital, had a horrible labour which i wont go into lol have been told its a horror story, gave birth 4pm. when it starts keep reminding yourself its all completely worth it and each contraction is 1 less u have to go through till you can meet your beautiful baby! good luck!

MrsVidic Mon 04-Jul-11 05:57:36

I woke at 130 am had a massive poo, then thought something was happening. Had a bath and got Dp to time frequency of contractions- to which we concluded we weren't in labour as they were only 3 mins apart. Got out of bath and the pain made me realise they were bloody contractions. 40 min drive to hospital then gave birth at 8 am. Have been told to go straight away this time as am group strep b pos so need iv for 4 hours. I must be the only person worried about having a labour too short

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now