Talk

Advanced search

A question about cot mattresses...

(10 Posts)
Annie456 Sun 03-Jul-11 18:48:43

Evening all,
I borrowed a cot from my brother that he bought from ikea 4 years ago. I went today to buy a mattress (they are all a standard size and their cots are too) but when I put the mattress in the cot it was a really really tight squeeze with the sides almost bulging out of the cot bars.

I appreciate that they need to be tight but I wondered if that was normal? Maybe it needs a few days to adjust to the shape of the cot but I wondered what other peoples experiences were?

Thanks!

PrincessScrumpy Sun 03-Jul-11 19:02:24

It's far better to have it tight - it's only a problem if there is a space between the bars and the mattress as baby can get his/her head stuck.

Trinaluce Sun 03-Jul-11 20:00:25

I'd advise you to have a look at this site - I've bought two mattresses from them (not that I'm suggesting you have to, not spamming or anything!) and their advise is really helpful. And if you decide that the mattress you have IS the wrong size, do give these people a shot, I was really impressed. Especially as I was buying a tailor-made mattress for an heirloom crib, the size and shape of which I couldn't find ANYWHERE!

Lynzilove Sun 03-Jul-11 20:09:45

I've bought ours from them. Got the wrong size first time round due to duff information from mamas and papas which I didn't bother to check. Were really good about swapping for the one I needed. As said they do custom sizes too.

Annie456 Sun 03-Jul-11 21:41:09

I've already unwrapped the mattress so will definitely be keeping it - its just a question of whether we need to get one of ikeas new cots to match or whether it's supposed to be that squashed in? Has anyone bought an ikea cot and found this?

SarahScot Sun 03-Jul-11 21:50:08

Ikea changed their cost sizes about 3 or 4 years ago, changing the measurements by just a few cms, so it's possible your brother bought a smaller size cot than the mattress you've just bought.

Georgimama Sun 03-Jul-11 21:57:16

Thanks for that link - I have just bought a 60cm x 120cm mattress for my existing mamas and papas cot after measuring the base. I have got the right size

Scaredycat3000 Sun 03-Jul-11 22:14:27

I have a second hand Ikea cot and bought a new mattress and it is very tight. It still bulges though the bars 2 years on. Personally I don't have a problem with that, keeps the flat sheet in place! But no, doesn't look great.

Annie456 Mon 04-Jul-11 00:14:52

Yep, just measured and sure enough, it's the old size cot. Bloody ikea....!!! *#%+$! of course they don't have cots available for online delivery so after a very painful trip today where we vowed 'never again', we're going to have to go back again-and who wants to bet they won't have one in stock and it'll just be £20 worth of tea lights. Grrrr.

Thanks for helping me solve the mystery!
X

Reallea Mon 04-Jul-11 12:45:46

Ikeas website let you check availability before you go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now