Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How on EARTH do you stay a normal size during pregnancy?

(24 Posts)
you Sun 03-Jul-11 16:22:22

With DD who's just turned two, I put on over 5 stone during pregnancy. I literally just ate and ate particularly in the first trimester and felt constantly nauseous unless I was eating some bread or carbs of some description. Having always been about a size 12 I shot up to a size 20 shock and after working really hard for over a year to get it all off, I swore to myself I wouldn't do that again as it really affected my confience levels, I stayed in for months after DD was born, and I'm such it also contributed to high blood pressure during my pregnancy and eventually, my induction.

Anyhoo, I'm around 7 weeks pregnant again atm, and seems I forgot just how horrible early pregnancy is. I feel rough THE WHOLE time, and can't see how I'm going to get through it without turning into a blob again. I've tried so so hard to not eat carbs but where I have a sald for lunch literally every day, the thought now makes me heave and all I want is marmite on toast hmm. I know it sounds like a silly worry, but I'm truely terrified I'm going to get so big again but if I don't eat carbs (loads of them, not a sensible amount) I have zero energy and am constantly gagging. Noty much fun with a toddler to look after too sad

How does anyone go through pregnancy staying the same size? Tips anyone?

you Sun 03-Jul-11 16:23:24

Sorry, so many spelling mistakes it's silly. Sigh.

confidence, salad, yada yada

allhailtheaubergine Sun 03-Jul-11 16:31:09

Congratulations smile

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and thinking about the same thing.

I have recently seen quite a few good friends have trim and glam pregnancies so am resolved to do the same. I think discipline and exercise are the key. And small amounts of food. A couple of crisps instead of a packet. One piece of toast instead of 4. And I am also trying to keep busy because when I hang around at home I feel vile and think about food too much.

I am still doing quite a hefty exercise regime with my sport team 3 times a week (haven't told them yet). I am going to start yoga on the in-between days.

babyonbord Sun 03-Jul-11 16:32:00

I don't think there is really any advice, i think it's probably down to genes and the luck of the draw, i think its best not to worry about it and be prepared to lose the weight when baby comes. I'm at a point now where i'm having a bit of a panic about the weight i want to lose, (i'm nearly 39 weeks) but i intend to avoid startchy carbs after the baby is here and do some serious working out to get my figure back, i don't think it's healthy to limit food while you're pregnant, you just have to accept that for those nine months you are going to put on a lot of weight, enjoy the fact that you can eat what you want i think of it as a food holiday and have really enjoyed myself with all the cake and icecream that would normally be forbidden. I know it sucks but it's just one of those many crosses us women have to bear for the men folk lol

spout Sun 03-Jul-11 16:39:17

allhail has the key - getting out and keeping busy is the best distraction from all the cake.

you Sun 03-Jul-11 16:39:36

Ha, have just eaten 4 slices of toast hmm

The thing is, discipline sounds all well and good an in theory, I can do it. I eat brilliantly usually, loads of fruit and veg and at a size 12 and 5ft 10, I'm not at all overweight. I just don't see how it's possible when pregnant. DH is at work today and I've tried so hard to be 'good' but don't want to eat any 'good' food. So practically ate nothing, had no energy, sat around feeling sorry for myself, have just eaten 4 slices of toast and am suddenly much more perky. Argh!

I think maybe you're right baby but I can't BEAR the thought of going through that again! It sounds so selfish but I felt horrible about myself and really struggled with the weight gain. I'm not sure there is an answer really, is there. I just need to moan and vent about my worries. I don't want to be a size 20 again <sob>

you Sun 03-Jul-11 16:42:21

Yep, am definetely better when out and about, but those days where you wake up, vomit and heave for an hour then feel like you've been awake all week complete with nausea, aching limbs and sheer exhaustion don't really aid the process!

TheProvincialLady Sun 03-Jul-11 16:46:04

You don't need more salad, you need more protein. It will fill you up so much more and you won't need as many carbs. Eat a good amount of protein every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner - and have some nuts or cheese to snack on when you need to.

I do sympathise - I felt like crap every day with DS2 and nothing seemed to help except eating. I wish I had known what I do now about having more protein, I'm sure it would have helped.

mummy2l Sun 03-Jul-11 16:46:38

I was exactly the same with dc1 who is 18mo now, I too put on 5 stone and went from a petite 10 to huge and it really affected my confidence. Took a year to loose it and am now 27 weeks with no 2 having started this time from a curvy 12 I have gained less than a stone so far as I'm literally so busy running round after ds and taking him to things. I also agree that exercise and moderation are key but I think that you need to eat if your body tells you to after all you are making a baby in there! When you have 2 to run round after I'm sure it will come of a lot quicker anyway.
Congratulations and enjoy it!

KatieWatie Sun 03-Jul-11 16:48:36

I know how you feel but I would concentrate on just getting through the pregnancy as best you can and worry about the weight loss if and when you need to. If you're running around after a toddler you might find it's not actually as hard to lose (or as easy to put on) as the first time. Breastfeeding will help too if you're planning on doing this.

Marmite on toast doesn't sound that unhealthy to me but could you not switch where possible e.g. to brown bread, brown rice, brown pasta so at least it's a bit healthier and you don't psychologically feel as bad and sinful?

I think a bit of exercise is key too if you can. If you can't get out to classes because of your little girl then perhaps a DVD you can do at home once she's in bed, and lots of walking.

pregnantmimi Sun 03-Jul-11 17:22:14

I put stone and a half on first trimester and lost half stone secong I needed like you too eat allt he time cause felt sick but no sickness gone calmed down a bit and tryed eat bit less and next week thing Im going start walking bit more. I do think thou that everyones different so dont panic too much at least you managed to lose the weight afterxx

DilysPrice Sun 03-Jul-11 17:36:57

Protein is a good idea I agree, and less refined carbs - porridge and wholemeal bread and flapjacks rather than Krispy Kreme and white toast.

Mind you I constructed my two DCs entirely from Magnum ice creams and Pret a Manger hot chocolate, so it's definitely do as I say not as I do here.

LadyGoneGaga Sun 03-Jul-11 17:37:05

Oh, I piled the weight on first pregnancy. Lost it within 9 months or so. Remember, 9 months on, 9 months off. Some people just get big when they are pregnant. Am 37 weeks and same again - have gained 4 stone but it's hard when you are so hungry all the time. I have also been just diagnosed with gestational Diabetes and feeling a bit guilty about the amount of carbs I have munched through so I agree to try and eat a bit more protein and less simple carbs - more brown rice, pasta, veggies but is hard when you feel rubbish at first. Just eat what you can now and focus on changing things when you feel better in second tri. Remember, you have lost it once before and you can again. Good luck!

hollypocks Sun 03-Jul-11 17:47:45

Eat little and often, things like dried apricots, ryvita and low fat houmous seemed to fill me and help with the nausea

SelinaDoula Sun 03-Jul-11 23:33:08

I had a similar thing and lost lots of weight by avoiding carbs.
But just couldn't manage when I got pregnant, but I have stayed much fitter this time exercising, I was still cycling to work till 34 weeks and the gym twice a week. I have put on quite alot, but I think its mostly baby etc as m arms and face are still pretty slim and my BP has stayed normal this time.

Beesok Mon 04-Jul-11 08:07:15

In addition to what is mentioned above I think it has a lot to do with your "base" - I started exercising intensely and eating properly to lose weight and tone up for my wedding 3 yrs ago and have pretty much maintained that lifestyle up until I got pregnant so even though I put on around 7kg up to date (just started 25th week!) you can't really tell - my ab muscles were quite strong before and I hope that will contribute to less flab and stretch marks. I still buy "normal" dresses a size or two larger and most of my looser pre-pg tops still fit, have been wearing the same maternity jeans since week 16.
I do watch what I eat in the sense of trying to eliminate unnecessary sugar etc but I do indulge every now and again - anyway when pregnant you need more carbs (just try to get "good" ones smile I also walk, walk, walk and try to go to the gym 1-2 times a week.
Am planning on doing lots of yoga once I go on maternity leave.
Having said that - don't worry too much about it! At the end of the day, you're pregnant and the most important thing is growing your baby - you can always sign up to a boot camp after you give birth smile Now is the time to relax and enjoy the amazing changes in your body x

HighFibreDiet Mon 04-Jul-11 08:24:07

I agree with ProvincialLady, SelinaDoula and LadyGoneGaga. More protein and less carbs and more exercise. This time round I have been forced to do this as also diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes and monitoring my blood sugars regularly. I have only put on about 7kg (16lb) overall and I am 38 wks now. It is a pain when you want to be relaxing and eating whenever you want, but I actually feel far better this time round than I did in last pregnancy when I was exercising far less.

Look into a low GI diet. Good snacks for me are almonds, small pieces of dark sugar, pumpernickel or oatcakes with nut butter or cheese, low GI fruit like pears or peaches, and everything in moderation except loads of salad! I am not walking very much because of spd but I try to get on the exercise bike every night if possible, even if it's only for 20-30 mins.

HighFibreDiet Mon 04-Jul-11 08:26:09

I meant dark chocolate, not dark sugar! (70% cocoa or higher).

BikeRunSki Mon 04-Jul-11 08:32:32

Hyperemisis worked for me.

kri5ty Mon 04-Jul-11 08:32:42

another trick.... switch meat for quorn! full of protein and fat free! Plus less calories!!

Anomaly Tue 05-Jul-11 21:54:44

Don't assume you'll end up the same. With both my children I put on about three stone but with the first I had to actively lose it. With the second I was half a stone over pre-pregnancy weight when he was a month old. One thing to keep in mind is that having a small child around who will want to eat whatever you have should help keep you on the straight and narrow.

UKSky Tue 05-Jul-11 22:01:48

Have you tried an iron supplement such as Spatone. I was horrendously sick throughout most of my pregnancy until my doctor recommended it (after my stupid obstetrician told me just to put up with it). After about a week it made a real difference and I felt much better. I took 2 sachets a day in orange juice and it really helped. It will also help with your energy levels.

It also meant that my iron levels were still high after giving birth.

TimeWasting Tue 05-Jul-11 22:07:34

I've lost 5 lbs since my booking in appointment. I'm 26 weeks atm.
I achieved this by being really fat to start with and just eating what I feel like for once in my life.

Agree with the protein advice. Some peanut butter on that toast would be lovely.

wearenotinkansas Tue 05-Jul-11 22:27:20

haven't read all the thread but I was much the same with DD1. I am now coming up to 8 months and have a huge bump but I think I am about a stone lighter than I was with DD1. My theory (which probably has no scientific fact) is that you should eat what your body demands in the first trimester/beginning of second trimester but after that make sure you are eating what you need - not just carrying on as before. I stuffed myself during the third trimester last time. I know you are supposed to need to eat a little more in the last 3 months but I am also much less active, so eating normally is probably going to balance it all out. Also, I don't have the same cravings now - except for ice cream grin so it's easier to control what I eat. I still get the odd carb craving but now it's a couple of times a week - rather than a couple of times a day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now