Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I take Nytol while pregnant?

(8 Posts)
SchrodingersMew Sat 02-Jul-11 19:42:20

This may sound silly but I've been having a bit of a breakdown where looks are concerned in the past couple of months, having a totally very premature midlife crisis of sorts! Spent loads on make up and perfume and getting my hair cut and dyed to make myself feel better.

So, what I'm getting to it, I have just had glued in hair extensions a couple of days ago and my scalp is getting extremely itchy for the moment, so much that it is waking me up. I know in a couple of days the itchyness will go away but for now it's horrible.

I don't have any anti-histamines in the house that didn't go out of date in 2007! But I do have Nytol and I know this is made from anti-histamines.

My question is, will I be safe to take them just tonight?

Sorry about the long OP.

SchrodingersMew Sat 02-Jul-11 19:45:30

I'm 26 weeks btw.

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Sat 02-Jul-11 19:52:11

No way. I'd go and see a pharmacist

SchrodingersMew Sat 02-Jul-11 19:54:09

Bit late to see a pharmacist. wink

I might phone NHS 24 and ask them if I can use it or not.

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Sat 02-Jul-11 20:02:04

Not really, a pharmacy in supermarket will still be open.

SchrodingersMew Sat 02-Jul-11 20:04:42

We don't have any of them anywhere near here unfortunately. sad

Just normal chemists and even they are at least 2 miles away. sad

I don't drive and am not willing to get a bus at the moment as the big orange walk was today and the City is really rowdy at the moment.

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Sat 02-Jul-11 20:09:03

I guess you should call nhs direct then, but as far as I know all anti histimines are contraindicated in pregnancy.

When I had a scalp infection showering my head with cold water really helped

SchrodingersMew Sat 02-Jul-11 20:12:20

Thanks, I might just try the cold water first. smile

Had a check online and it said diphenhydramine (the ingredient in Nytol) is category B. So it's not been classed as such but studies show that high doses can cause an Oxytocin like effect.
It wouldn't have been a high dose anyway, just a normal once off dose to get a decent nights sleep without my scalp killing me!

I'll try the water first though. smile It's my own bloody fault anyways, just struggling with everything changing so quickly I guess. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now