Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weight gain

(7 Posts)
Markandkark Sat 02-Jul-11 19:05:37

I'm 13 weeks,have put on about 5 pounds. I'm overweight to start with, so am concerned I don't gain too much. Is this ok do you think?

BeeMyBaby Sat 02-Jul-11 22:13:12

if you do a google search for 'pregnancy weight gain calculator' or something along those lines, there are quite a few good web sites which give you guides to weight gain dependent on how many weeks you are, your height, and your start weight.

Blobby11 Sat 02-Jul-11 22:29:01

I had gained a pound a week between weeks 6 and 14 as I felt so sick all the time. I wasn't physically sick but felt queasy all the time and food was the only thing that helped. I was worried about weight gain particularly when I googled and found lots of charts saying I should put on a pound or two during the first trimester and a pound a week during the second trimester; I thought I'd be gigantic. Luckily my gain really slowed down in the second trimester so I ended up being on track.

I think everyone is different so I wouldn't worry too much.

MummyTigger Sat 02-Jul-11 22:35:38

To be honest, I never freaked out about my weight, even now at 37+5 I'm actually really happy with my body - which is the first time in a LONG while.

My advice is to enjoy it while it lasts. You can eat almost anything you like during pregnancy and people will allow you to do so because, like we say, you're PREGNANT! With every biscuit you consume you help a little person grow :D

And then once you've had the baby you'll get bitchy, horrible people turning around to people like my friend Mel and saying "ooh, he's five months old? And you're pregnant again? Oh, sorry, you obviously just haven't snapped back and lost the weight like you should have" angry (and for the record, she found that glaring at people and saying that you've been too busy having sex to try and do situps works a treat in wiping their smug expressions off their faces)

I wouldn't worry about it - it's a beautiful and wonderful thing, and one of the few times when you can eat what you like and not be judged for it smile I had my DP running to the shop every day to get me more packs of strawberry laces :D

Crosshair Sat 02-Jul-11 23:04:16

I wouldn't worry too much as everyones different, Some people put abit on at the start then even out by the end.

Totally the opposite with me MummyTigger, been getting plenty of 'make sure you watch what you eat' and 'you're not eating for two'.envy

Reallea Sat 02-Jul-11 23:30:01

I put on four and a half stone whilst pregnant last time and had lost three and a half stone of that 9 months later. I'd been pretty skinny before getting pregnant and had no interest in trying hard to lose the final stone when I knew I'd be trying again in a few months so I've eaten whatever I've wanted. In other words the three and a half kind of came off naturally over the nine months and I'm plateaued at my natural weight that I stay at normally without doing a 10k run 3 times a week. So don't worry, your body will crave what it needs and if it wants to give you a high energy store then go with it and lose it later.

Ps no one was rude to me that I was fat. Poor mummytigger's friend!

pregnantmimi Sun 03-Jul-11 13:55:49

its fine dont worry I put on stone and a half in the first trimester and in the second trimester I lost half a stone. Im a bit worried about gaining weight as I have had weight problems in the past and struggle to maintain a size 12/14.

My friend just had her baby and lost 2 and half stone very quickly in 6 weeks actually a stone few days after which makes me think alot of the weight is water and baby.

Dont worry about it too much the way I see it is Im going to put weight on so might as well enjoy it!! You will find you cant eat s much as you want in second trimester anyway. xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now