Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sunburn when pregnant

(13 Posts)
babycarmen Sat 02-Jul-11 17:44:05

I got bad sunburn on my back and shoulders today, is there anything i can do to help? Not sure whats safe/whats not!

supadupapupascupa Sat 02-Jul-11 17:45:12

do you have an aloe vera plant? if not GET ONE. Snap of a leaf and squeeze out the inside gloopy stuff, apply to burn.....lovely

heavenstobetsy Sat 02-Jul-11 17:46:07

Savlon and lots of it!!!

You have my sympathy sunburn is a killer and it happens so much more easily when you're pregnant

MotherJack Sat 02-Jul-11 17:46:52

have a look here - there's lots NOT to do but some ideas for what you CAN do

babycarmen Sat 02-Jul-11 17:47:11

Sadly i dont have an aloe vera plant - gave it away a while back sadsad i have savlon though, thanks!!

meditrina Sat 02-Jul-11 18:00:39

Using mayo is surely just like using butter. I'd be wary.

Do you have any lavender oil? It's very good for burns, and one of the few essential oils safe in pregnancy.

babycarmen Sat 02-Jul-11 18:02:42

I do have lavender oil, didnt know it helped burns though, thanks smile

meditrina Sat 02-Jul-11 18:05:07

I'm how dilute it needs to be to be OK - I hope you've got somewhere reliable to look it up.

MotherJack Sat 02-Jul-11 20:38:01

The mayo remedy is all over the internet. It is of course, horses for courses smile

KatieWatie Sat 02-Jul-11 20:42:11

My MW told me that due to melanin production I would find that I'd tan really easily and not burn at all - haha how wrong was she?! I burned within an hour on holiday (normally never burn) and the burns lasted for 4 days. Half my holiday I could barely move!

Lesson learned for next time, deffo.

MotherJack Sat 02-Jul-11 22:51:20

Rubbish midwife there, Katie - you're supposed to be more prone to sunburn due to increased blood flow (or somesuch).

hermionejgranger Sun 03-Jul-11 08:10:32

agreed - rubbish midwife advice! it's a burn, after all, so keep it cool (not cold because direct contact with really cold stuff can also "burn" the skin) - try putting a towel in the fridge. and try not to get burnt again smile

MadYoungCatLady Sun 03-Jul-11 16:37:30

Can you not use aftersun when PG? Oh shit....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now