Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

fishy foot spa in pregnancy?

(17 Posts)
jimmijam Fri 01-Jul-11 20:06:29

i cant remember the name, they seem 2 b the latest craze. one has opened up locally (we live almost in the middle of nowhere so its quite exciting), is it ok 2 have one whilst pregnant? just unsure as im not sure what the risks of spread of disease r.
thanks

iWILLdothis Fri 01-Jul-11 20:10:58

a fish pedicure. I plan to go to one with a friend later in the summer. Never occurred to me that it might be a problem in pregnancy.

allthefires Fri 01-Jul-11 20:13:00

Be wondering the same.........

missnevermind Fri 01-Jul-11 20:22:22

When I asked I was told the fishy part was no problem whatsoever. Just if they do a foot massage with lotions after to be sure to let them know how pregnant you are as it will affect what they use and the pressure points they avoid.

Lynzilove Fri 01-Jul-11 21:18:45

I had one a week ago. They're completely safe, only thing I found is that my feet were quite swollen afterwards- hot day and feet dangling in water. The company said it was no more unsafe than going to a public swimming pool.

JimmyChoo17 Sat 02-Jul-11 11:52:34

Totally safe did it inthailand and got a session booked for last week of pregnancy feet were amazing after. Lasted me for 6 months.

Feels like bad pins and needles and tickled like hell on my arches but worth every penny smile

The worst part is having your feet cleaned first my arches are sooooooo ticklish I nearly kicked the girl in the face lol! grin

Enjoy!

DebbieL78 Sat 02-Jul-11 13:50:53

Really glad to hear it is safe. Just found I was pregnant and was looking at my feet at the time - they need dealing with in an urgent way! What lotions should be avoided? Is it okay to get a foot rub off my other my half? Please say yes as I don't want to deprive him of a bit of hard work!

JimmyChoo17 Sat 02-Jul-11 21:18:14

Perfectly ok Debbie!! in fact....i would tell him it's compulsory!

My feet never been bad but since put that bit more weight in in last weeks, heels have started to harden and the fish r great for that!

There are a fair few oils to avoid? To be honest most of these warnings are just being careful but I would just have baby oil to the ready instead! I carried a small bottle with me in Thailand so I could still indulge in the massages!

DebbieL78 Sun 03-Jul-11 13:59:38

Many thanks - he will be delighted with this news! I am also going to book a fish spa then. Feet first then the doctors - I have my priorities right as you can tell x

jimmijam Sun 03-Jul-11 15:08:34

Think i may b popping in 4 1 this week then :-)

JimmyChoo17 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:36:42

Too right drs can wait! Our local one is called dr fish...so that counts as helpful medicine, right?

I do hope u have briefed dh on other compulsory things like drinks service, his housework duties....it's a little known fact that hoovering, dusting, Lauren, ironing, generally lifting a finger around house, cooking......all VERY dangerous in pregnancy so it's best you put your feet up and avoid at all costs...grin

JimmyChoo17 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:37:07

Lauren? Laundry.

DebbieL78 Mon 04-Jul-11 20:26:01

I agree... he will soon be doing it all. I have a question though. We have friends up this weekend and it's really early days, don't want to tell them but they will be expecting me to drink! Any suggestions - I mean obviously I won't be drinking.

jimmijam Mon 04-Jul-11 20:50:49

On.antibiptics 4 a water infection?

JimmyChoo17 Tue 05-Jul-11 19:18:56

or for toothache? save sharing your waterworks as a reason? There are some nasty reactions you can have with booze and antibiotics for your gums (erm not that I drank against Drs advice on them once....ho hum)

I was in the early days over Xmas and Im not an alcy but me not having a drink was very obvious! Got away with it most of the time

They may guess but if you over excuse yourself they will def guess! So try to wave it off as easily as poss! Unless you will be serving yourself in which case say you cant drink much due to antibiotics but pour yourself a few Rose wines (Schloer or however you spell it is the same colour! Just make sure you do have some rose wine to offer your guest! Or they do a white wine coloured one...not a fan of that one mind!)

DebbieL78 Mon 11-Jul-11 09:18:20

Thank you ladies. I think I got away with it. When we are at the pub I just drank tonic/soda water sans gin and I bought non alcoholic red wine which tasted awful but seemed to convince them!

NigellaLawless Mon 11-Jul-11 10:35:50

I have been to the fishy foot spa thingys a few times (twice whilst prego) but don't really feel like they do an awful lot. I went to a chiropodist at the weekend, however, and my feet feel tonnes better (with the heat they were getting very achey and I can't reach past my bump these days to sort out hard skin myself). Not much more expensive than the foot spa and loads better value for money in my opinion grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now