Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

low lying placenta

(11 Posts)
glitternanny Fri 01-Jul-11 20:03:43

We had our scan today and are team BLUE OH was pretty keen to have a girl so we'll have to try again!!

Everything is OK but I have a low lying placenta so I have to go back in 14 weeks for another scan and see if its shifted, if it hasn't then I'll be having a CS :s but most placentas apparently do move.

I will try not to stress but....

iWILLdothis Fri 01-Jul-11 20:14:43

SNAP!
Also low lying placenta here, but I'm having a CS anyway for a different reason so not too concerned about it.
FWIW, last pregnancy also had low-lying placenta but it shifted in time for a natural delivery....so try not to stress yet. Any bleeding, go straight in to get checked, but I'm sure they told you that anyway.

glitternanny Fri 01-Jul-11 20:35:38

Thanks.

They didn't tell me anything, I don't see the mw for another 5 weeks, will call on Monday I think!!

glitternanny Sun 03-Jul-11 10:35:53

BUMP

silverangel Sun 03-Jul-11 12:08:05

I had a bleed at 11 weeks which was found to be due to a low lying placenta. By the time I went back for a scan at 13 it had moved up to high posterior. Sonographer said it was very common. They also said bleeding was very common if its low lying so if that happens obviously get checked out but don't freak out about it! smile

nicolamumof3 Sun 03-Jul-11 19:24:18

i was told i had this too at 20w scan, had a 4d at 28w to confirm gender and was told that it had moved slightly, 34w scan confirmed it was just on bordlerline of ok so was signed off for natural birth, am now 38+1 and good to go!

katherine2008 Sun 03-Jul-11 19:27:52

me too - was told at 20 weeks not to worry and am booked in for a 36 weeks scan

Fresh01 Sun 03-Jul-11 21:47:38

I had a low lying placenta with DD1 at the 20 week scan. Had a check scan at 34 weeks ish and it was right out of the way so we had a natural delivery. From what I read the majority do move.

I ended up deciding not to worry about it (was always at the back of my mind though) as it was something I could do absolutely nothing about.

FunnysInTheGarden Sun 03-Jul-11 21:51:05

I had this with DS2 and it had moved at 36 weeks. Natural delivery, nothing to worry about. It is a stress, but mostly they move up I think. Best of luck.

Phiney Sat 09-Jul-11 15:58:26

Hi, I am in the same position. In week 29 now, told at 20 weeks placenta low lying and would need c-section if doesn't move. Will be scanned in week 34. I had a bleed just before week 20 scan which was terrifying. I am optimistic placenta will have moved out of the way by the time they scan me, if it hasn't I'll try to push for a later scan to check again - otherwise I'll just be brave and accept a c-section. Good luck to everyone else with low lying placenta.

hollyw Sun 10-Jul-11 10:58:13

I had this too (it seems to me that loads of people are being told this at the moment - hadn't heard of anyone being told of a low lying placenta during my previous 3 pregnancies) This time round I know of 3 people in real life and goodness knows how many on line.

Anyway, mine has moved. It was covering at 20 weeks, had moved to 2.4 cm at 30 weeks and 7cm at 36 weeks.

If it stays low it is an issue but as far as I have read there is nothing you can do about it. If it is borderline at later scans and you want a natural birth I would look into requesting repeat scans/second opinions.

Good luck
x
Holly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now