Talk

Advanced search

Worried about ectopic pregnancy

(9 Posts)
fufulina Fri 01-Jul-11 18:31:12

Hello - am 6 weeks pregnant. Just got to pick up DD from nursery and had a 'turn'. Severe pain in my tummy (but felt windy, IYKWIM), then had to go and sit in the loo for 15 minutes sweating feeling v nauseaous and not really with it. Have managed to get home, but not feeling right - just a bit light headed. Worried about ectopic pregnancy. Am I being a drama queen, and has anyone else had weird turns like this?
Thanks very much

ZhenXiang Fri 01-Jul-11 18:36:34

Hi not an expert, but here is the NHS website link with the symptoms. If any of the symptoms fit I would trust your gut instinct and get yourself checked out the stress of thinking and worrying is no good for you and the baby. It could be a virus there is one with symptoms a bit like that doing the rounds. Have you got someone there with you just in case you start to feel worse?

fufulina Fri 01-Jul-11 18:40:28

Thanks Zhen - Just me and DD. Rang DH and he's on his way home - so should be back in 50 minutes (tubes being all good). Symptom checker - thank you. Not sure; am feeling nauseous, but have been for a few days now, and thought it was just basic pregnancy-related sickness.

NorthLondonDoulas Fri 01-Jul-11 18:46:03

The hospital suspected i was having an ectopic pregnancy (which turms out i am not) but some of the symptoms were bleeding, sharp pain on one side, shoulder tip pain and a temperature. I have experienced funny turns like the one you just described in my first two pregnancies and they were both fine. Of course if you are really worried then go to A&E and explain your worries - they may be able to give you an ultrasound, but be aware that if your Hcg levels are not over 1000 they may not be able to detect anything on the scan. Good luck and i hope you found this to be of some use.x

ZhenXiang Fri 01-Jul-11 18:54:30

Have you tried eating something? Could be low blood sugar or low iron levels. I am 5 weeks pregnant and have been finding that the nausea gets better when I eat something salty. If it is wind a nice hot cup of tea will help.

fufulina Fri 01-Jul-11 19:06:35

Thanks both - very much. NL Doulas, I think I had similar things in my last pregnancy, but is all very hazy. I think it may be sugar levels. I always find my sickness is worse about 4-7, and it's when I'm most exhausted. Thank you again.

NorthLondonDoulas Fri 01-Jul-11 19:22:05

Your very welcome... let me give you a huge tip for sickness! In my first and second pregnancies i was so so sick right up until the day i gave birth and then in my third pregnancy i discovered that taking vitamin b6 helps combat sickness. Within a week or so of taking it the vomiting stopped completly and the nausea went right down, so i took it from the beginning in my fourth pregnancy and it had the same effect and again this time round. I even find that if i miss a one or two i feel so awfully sick! You can get them from any local supermarket, pharmacy or health food shop and i now swear by them! It doesnt make the nausea disapear completly but it does make a drastic improvement! Give it a go and let me know if it works for you too.x

ZhenXiang Fri 01-Jul-11 19:39:28

I never knew that about vitamin b6 NL Doulas, but as I took vitamin supplement with b6 in it through whole of last pregnancy and this one too I wouldn't have noticed the change. I found that eating grapefruits helped me during last pregnancy, my GP suggested them as she had eaten them during her pregnancies!

kri5ty Mon 04-Jul-11 08:14:00

fufulina how are you getting on?

I had the same thing at around 6 weeks

Really bad pains that were waking me up at night, sweats, shaking and fainting they hurt that much. tender tummy on one side, and constipated (although this was just diff symptom)

I went to a&e as i was worried about the pain, they put me under the early pregnancy unit and i had my hormone levels checked everyday to ensure they were doubling... When they were high enough i had an internal scan, which showed the pregnancy was developing in the correct place and not ectopic ... It turned out the painw as being caused by a cyst that sometimes grows over the developing egg to protect it, it had done its job and was now breaking away, thats what the pain was.

I had no bleeding, just relly really bad pain (not the "period cramps" you hear about)

I would say if it is still bad, go to a&e just to make sure, as if it is ectopic it can become very dangerous for yourself.

but fingers crossed its that pesky cyst!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now