Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

should i only get a % of stat mat pay cos i work part time?

(5 Posts)
soandsosmum Fri 01-Jul-11 15:48:28

Hi

I worked 3 days a week before having my baby and employer now says I'm only due 3/5 of statutory maternity pay. I've search direct gov andcant find any advise.

Can anyone help me?

PandaNot Fri 01-Jul-11 15:54:01

No I don't think that's right IF your pay is normally more than the SMP. If it's less then yes you only get a %, I think. I'm sure someone else will come along and explain it much better soon!

PandaNot Fri 01-Jul-11 15:56:10

From direct.gov

If you qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) it is paid for a maximum period of 39 weeks. It is paid:
for the first six weeks at 90 per cent of your average gross weekly earnings with no upper limit
for the remaining 33 weeks at the lower of either the standard rate of £128.73, or 90 per cent of your average gross weekly earnings

I got paid it at this rate even though I only work 2.5 days per week

WinterLover Fri 01-Jul-11 17:19:43

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/calcs/smp.htm

This is what they use to calculate what you get. Might be worth doing it yourself too.

nannyl Fri 01-Jul-11 17:29:37

No that cant be right

if you have 2 employers (so 2 part time jobs) you get 2 FULL lots of maternity pay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now