Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dopler worry

(8 Posts)
xkatyx Thu 30-Jun-11 20:55:11

Hi everyone I am 11 weeks 3 days with twins.

I have a heart monitor from previous pregnancy and thought I would give it a go. For the last 4 evenings I have pocked up heart eat straight away but only 1 each time, I can't seam to find the other one.

PinkFondantFancy Fri 01-Jul-11 08:31:58

It sounds quite early to find the heartbeats reliably-I know the midwife wouldn't do a Doppler on me until 16 weeks. If you're worried though it's worth giving the EPAU a call and see what they think?

silverangel Fri 01-Jul-11 09:50:42

I agree with Pink - too early! Also the reason I didnt get a doppler as I would be obsessive about it. Do you have a 12 week scan coming up soon?

tunnocksteacake Fri 01-Jul-11 10:12:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AKMD Fri 01-Jul-11 11:15:26

Home-use dopplers are honestly more trouble and worry than they're worth. Unless you're a trained medical professional, it's really hard to reliably find a fetal heartbeat, even at the later stages of pregnancy. It's also very easy to find a 'heartbeat' through the placenta, which has led to some terribly sad stories of mothers who were concerned about lack of fetal movement checking themselves out with a home-use doppler, finding what they thought was a heartbeat and then going on to lose the baby.

You should think of your doppler as a bit of fun rather than a piece of medical equipment. If you are concerned about your pregnancy in any way, call your midwife or other HCP straightaway and get yourself checked out.

Congratulations on the twins smile

eurochick Fri 01-Jul-11 11:42:56

I took my friend who was 34 weeks PG with twins in for her birth and waiting with her until her husband arrived. While I was there, they hooked her up to a doppler. They had no trouble finding one heartbeat but terrible trouble finding the other and even when they did manage to find it, they would lose it after a few seconds. This happened repeatedly with a trained medical professional and hospital equipment. So if the professionals have trouble so late in PG, it's no wonder you are! If you are worried for other reasons, have a chat with your midwife.

harassedandherbug Fri 01-Jul-11 11:59:33

That's really early to find a hb! I'm 15wks now and my gp found a hb at 12+6. This is dc4, and that's the earliest I've ever heard a hb.

Most mw's won't even attempt before 16 wks in my experience.

I've actually just bought a doppler after having two mc's this year. I've been lucky and found the hb, but you shouldn't worry too much if you can't find it on a home doppler.

And I agree, if there are reduced movements then it's off to the mw regardless of the doppler.

xkatyx Fri 01-Jul-11 12:51:14

Thank you all I had my mw app today and she said I'm crazy lol cause even she finds it hard to find 2 heartbeats with twins at any stage.

Thank you all feel a little relieved

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now