Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When should I have my next midwife appointment?

(7 Posts)
Bess12 Thu 30-Jun-11 20:30:39

I had my booking in appointment and have not heard anything since. I am 19 weeks now (have had scan appointment sent through). I seem to remember having an appointment at 16 weeks with DD but thought maybe you don't get that one with second? I think I used to make the next appointment at the end of the previous one. Wondering whether to give them a ring or whether they will contact me.

Thank you in advance.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 30-Jun-11 20:31:34

I'd be interested to know. I think it's not as frequent with subsequent babies, which suits me tbh but they should tell you.

CBear6 Thu 30-Jun-11 20:37:22

With subsequent babies it should be:

10wks, booking
16wks
28wks, long wait for that one! All bloods repeated.
34wks
36wks
38wks
40wks

They should see you four weekly for a first pregnancy up until 34wks, then it's fortnightly. For a subsequent pregnancy they only see you 7-8 times in total for a low risk pregnancy with no issues.

cupofteaplease Thu 30-Jun-11 21:38:36

This is my 3rd baby.

I had a booking in appointment at 10 weeks and MW made an appointment for 16 weeks. However, I had an appointment with consultant at 15+5 and he advised cancelling MW appointment, which I did. I was told to book next appointment for 28 weeks. I rang her at 23 weeks as I was worried about having a lot of sharp pains, but she said she didn't want to see me. I managed to get in with a nurse who diagnosed an UTI.

I am now 25 weeks and received a call from the surgery today from a student midwife. She wanted to know if I was okay, and they were worried as they haven't seen me since 10 weeks confused. I explained about seeing a consultant, and that MW didn't want to see me until 28 weeks for blood tests, but she was adament I make an appointment sooner. So I tried to get an appointment, but will still be 27 weeks by the time they fit me in!!

I haven't a clue what is normal. My friend who is 34 weeks saw the same MW today who told her as she is having a section at 39 weeks she doesn't want to see her again until after the baby is born. confused hmm

Cattleprod Thu 30-Jun-11 21:44:47

I'd ring them. You should have had one at 16 weeks. They don't do very much, just urine test, check heartbeat with doppler, blood pressure and a chat. After that there's the 21 week scan then another midwife appt at 28 weeks, unless you have any probs of course when they like to see you sooner.

MadYoungCatLady Thu 30-Jun-11 22:35:05

Doesn't matter what number pregnancy, you should have an appointment at 16 weeks. Have you had your 12 week scan? Are you mw-led care or consultant?
I'm on pregnancy number 4 (1 survivng child), only second time I have got this far along (17 weeks) but have had booking appointment, then scan at 11 weeks, should have had a follow up after scan but had a bit of a cock up, 16 week mw appointment yesterday, then my 20 week scan in 3 weeks, and another mw appointment made for august.
Call your mw, I presume you have your notes, not her?

Bess12 Fri 01-Jul-11 16:59:49

Thank you for your replies. I have just spoken to midwife who says yes should have had one at 16 weeks. Can't actually get an appointment until 20 weeks but at least I'll be back on track. As Cbear says the next one is 28 weeks.
Thanks everyone, best wishes for you and your babies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now