Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

39 weeks and not engaged - am I facing a long wait?

(15 Posts)
KittyChat Thu 30-Jun-11 13:44:53

I've just had an appointment with my midwife and, as I thought, he/she is not engaged and seems 'very comfortable where it is'.

Does it look like I'll be hanging around a while? Any experiences of going into labour when baby is still up high?

I want this baby out on time, dammit!

Trinaluce Thu 30-Jun-11 13:50:36

DD never engaged, went into labour at 40+4

Babies always arrive on time: just that their definition of 'on time' is not the same as ours wink

KittyChat Thu 30-Jun-11 14:04:12

Ooh, thanks Trina!

I know the baby will come when it's ready, but I am already contemplating turning my phone off because I've had it up to here with the 'is it here' texts and calls. Why oh why did I tell people my due date...?

Trinaluce Thu 30-Jun-11 14:26:31

Just get snippy with them. 'Oh, yeah, the baby arrived three weeks ago, we've called her Fido, we just didn't tell you because we hate you' wink

Either that or answer the phone with a drowsy half-awake voice. 'Hello? Oh, hi, yeah, I was asleep. No, no, it's fine, I'm just SO tired at the moment and I'd finally managed to doze off. NO, don't worry, I'm sure I'll get a decent nap in another day or so. Knowing my luck though as soon as I do, labour will start. Now, why were you calling?'

With any luck the guilt overload will be great enough to make them leave you alone grin

Supersunnyday Thu 30-Jun-11 14:33:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KittyChat Thu 30-Jun-11 14:40:25

Thanks Super. I have heard they can sometimes engage and then move back up? It's a confusing business.

Thank you for the passive-aggressive suggestions, Trina! One of the most prolific callers is my colleague, who I wouldn't say I am even friends with. "Just checking to see if anything's happening! Do you promise to call me when you're in labour?"

Yes, I'll call you before the hospital, before DP, before anyone. I promise.

Lynzilove Thu 30-Jun-11 14:51:16

I wouldn't have thought so. I'm 38 weeks and he's only just started to engage, midwife said he might not go any further than 3/5 until labour. It doesn't work on the flipside as my sister was fully engaged for about 6 weeks before she was due and kept being told she'd be early, she went 6 days over and even then baby didn't want to come out when waters broke!!

Supersunnyday Thu 30-Jun-11 16:32:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Trinaluce Thu 30-Jun-11 16:38:12

Kitty Oh, she wants to be called when you go into labour? Ring at around 3-4am every day four days running. Each time, ring back again an hour later saying it was a false alarm. With any luck she won't be asking you to ring any more wink [just plain EVIL emoticon]

KittyChat Thu 30-Jun-11 16:48:37

I like your style, Trina, you devious woman!

CBear6 Thu 30-Jun-11 18:28:19

At 39 weeks DS was still incredibly high up and showed no signs of moving himself downwards any time soon. I had dire predictions given to me by everyone from my mum to my aunts to the sodding lady in the Post Office - you'll go overdue, you'll have to be induced, an extra two weeks in there will mean it'll be a huuuuuge baby, blah blah blah.

I went into labour and delivered exactly on my due date - DS didn't engage until I was 6cm dilated (my waters didn't break until I was 10cm).

ipredicttrouble Thu 30-Jun-11 19:47:23

Is this your first Kitty?

JimmyChoo17 Thu 30-Jun-11 21:03:24

im on first and baby popped head down for a short spell last night but then popped back out again this morning!! Ive said he/she is doing the birthing equivalent of the Hokey Cokey!

Im 38 + 5..

KittyChat Fri 01-Jul-11 11:02:58

Yes it's my first - and getting impatient! Should be glad he or she is not here yet as the house is filthy. Maybe some floor scrubbing this weekend will help.

ipredicttrouble Fri 01-Jul-11 19:33:32

I think it's normal for the head to engage and then pop out again during the last few weeks. TBH, I don't think it's a sign of when you'll go into labour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now