Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone got swollen feet and near the end?

(11 Posts)
snowchick1977 Thu 30-Jun-11 13:29:35

I'm lucky enough to have got to 36 weeks with no complications, however since the hot weekend my ankles and feet have swollen to double their normal size. I can't get any shoes on and I have been told to rest.

I have no blood pressure issues or protein in urine and no swelling elsewhere but it's now stopping me from doing things, as I've been told to elevate my legs and rest.

Have any ladies got a similar issue, are you resting or are u carrying on as normal? I guess what I am trying to say is, what are the dangers if I just think "sod it" and carry on? What will happen, if anything?

The swelling doesn't even go down overnight.

Thanks in advance.

silverangel Thu 30-Jun-11 13:41:57

Mine are a bit like that and I'm only 27 weeks - havianas are the extent of my shoe wardrobe at the moment. I think as long as BP, protein etc are ok its just a side effect that some people are more susceptible to...

rooks14 Thu 30-Jun-11 13:43:58

Hiya smile I'm 35 weeks and haven't had any swelling or blood pressure problems so far either!

This week i've been moving house and cooked roast dinner on sunday so was on my feet all day and my ankles went huge!! Since then they've been going down overnight but swelling during any amount of walking or standing.

As long as your midwife hasn't thought it's anything serious and the swelling is more just discomfort for you, I think carrying on as normal is fine as long as you're not in pain! I have been, having said that I've been sick all day so have been sat on my butt watching tv grin

babyonbord Thu 30-Jun-11 13:50:41

my feet are swollen its completly normal just another cross for us pregnant women to bear ive been wearing flip flops and have a nice hot bath on an evening they will go back to normal so try not to worry xx

lostmybounce Thu 30-Jun-11 14:48:25

I was like this from 32 weeks with both my pregnancies, the good news is that it usually goes away within a day or two of delivering the baby. I found I had to buy some new shoes to get through the last stage. Evans EEE fitting did the trick. It helped not to wear socks that cut into your ankles too, Evans will do some larger ones or popsocks are an option. Rest and support tights made no difference but a gentle walk every day made me feel better. It will pass soon hopefully!

Danilou22 Thu 30-Jun-11 17:18:07

I am now 41 weeks pregnant and have had swollen feet, hands and even now the bottom of my bump for weeks!

My feet are constantly fat and the only way I have managed to get the swelling down is for someone to give them a really good massage and push all the fluid back up my legs.

Danilou22 Thu 30-Jun-11 17:18:54

and thank god it is summer (ish) and I have been able to wear flip flops!

ninipops Thu 30-Jun-11 21:35:59

Totally normal especially in the heat. Try to keep your fluids up - I know the last thing you want to do is encourage more peeing but it does work!

witches Thu 30-Jun-11 22:48:35

Im unsure if my swollen ankles are general pregnancy problem or because i am on a strong dose of cocodamol as i have not had any problems and since upping dose i am blowing up quite dramatically! Im 36weeks anyone had cocodamol and had this side effect it is listed as a possible issue but not sure how to tell!

Eviepoo Fri 01-Jul-11 09:48:26

I've had bad swelling since 24 weeks, it's gradually got worse - at almost 33w I've given up hope of even fitting into wide fitting shoes. It's flip flops or slippers - pretty much.
I can't just rest, as I am in work and I can't afford to take a longer mat leave - so I am managing as best I can smile as long as you are being sensible I am sure you will be fine. -I'm counting the days now, I'm so heavy (put 2st on - all water and bump) but I guess I'm not the only one counting the days.
I drink 5+ pints of water a day and try to elevate my legs as much as possible.
I agree a bath helps relax my sore legs as does, putting my legs up on a pillow in bed. During the night they go down a bit - but not fully. I do suggest the pillow in bed thing - that made a difference.

The bit you may not want to hear is I get up between 3 and 6 times a night to pee, all the water I drink and the re-distribution of fluid when my feet are up menas that I pee way more during the night

My hands are also swollen - my fingertips now permenantly have that numb tingly feeling again - oh I can't wait til LO comes smile

fingers crossed you won't suffer too long xx

highheelsandequations Fri 01-Jul-11 10:43:40

I've had really swollen feet and ankles for weeks now (am currently 38+2). Couldn't put my feet up and rest as I only finished work (on my feet all day as a teacher) last Friday so just carried on. Nothing terrible has happened I just have horrible looking fat feet and am fed up of wearing flip flops and ballet b
pumps! And it aches! MW recommended swimming so am trying to get along to the pool a bit more now I am a lady of leisure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now