Talk

Advanced search

39+2 and strong period pains - is this normal?

(13 Posts)
NewMummy5July2011 Thu 30-Jun-11 08:58:25

Hi
Was wondering if anyone knows if this is normal... I've been getting strong period pains since yesterday - they aren't regualar but are really very painful and seem to be constant at times. Occassionally feeling the pain around my back as well. My bump feels awfully tight most of the time too.

Baby is still moving fine in between the cramping.

Is this normal? Any ideas on what this means?

Thanks for the advice. :-)

isthismadness Thu 30-Jun-11 09:01:50

It sounds like labour is starting
However call your midwife if pains are constant though in case it's something else
Is baby moving?

isthismadness Thu 30-Jun-11 09:04:23

Sorry yes baby moving didn't see that
When you say constantwhat do you mean exactly?
How long does each pain last when it comes?
Any reason why you think this isn't early labour? Just wondering as this would be most peoples first thought

RitaMorgan Thu 30-Jun-11 09:06:54

Oooh, you're in labour! Take some paracetamol and have a relaxing bath, and try to get some rest/sleep before it kicks off.

piratecat Thu 30-Jun-11 09:07:01

i'd say you're gearing up for labour. i had similar two weeks on and off before it all started properly. Labour does feel like the worst period pain!

banana87 Thu 30-Jun-11 09:18:20

You're in labour! Yay! Good luck smile

NewMummy5July2011 Thu 30-Jun-11 09:20:15

Hi isthismadness - when I say constant, I mean the period pain just feels like it's there for quite a long time (for example I've had the latest pain for the last 1/2 hour) or so.

Perhaps it is early labour - I've had braxton hicks on and off for so many weeks, and on and off short bouts of cramping for so long, I'm not sure what this is! Although it does feel alot stronger and alot for more painful. I suppose I'm confused because the pain isn't coming at regular intervals!

I've rung the midwives and suggested I come in to get checked over, so I have an appointment in a couple of hours! Hurray!

BikeRunSki Thu 30-Jun-11 09:28:05

Sounds exactly how my labour started.

KaraJS Thu 30-Jun-11 09:31:45

My last two labours started the same, congratulations sounds like baby is on it's way, phone mw or hospital tho to see what they say and try to keep walking around, good luck!

surreygirl Thu 30-Jun-11 14:44:40

You're in labour.... I started off the same... good luck and definitely keep walking as much as you can ... <pulls up chair to wait for further news> grin

mousymouse Thu 30-Jun-11 14:48:16

good luck!

Georgimama Thu 30-Jun-11 14:50:43

My labour started exactly like period pains, and the pain around the back as well. Keep moving but rest as well, and eat and drink regularly it could be days (like mine was).....

NewMummy5July2011 Thu 30-Jun-11 17:21:29

Thanks! I saw the MW earlier, and baby is fully engaged - in fact she can even feel the top of the shoulders in my pelvis. She felt a contraction happen whilst I was there, and she reckons things are getting started and while she can't say how much longer it will be, she did say she would be gobsmacked if I went past my due date! So fingers crossed - still getting lots of cramping. Georgimama - thanks for the advice - MW said the same thing - drink lots, snack lots and rest lots in preparation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now