Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Water birth trained midwives? Why aren't they all trained?

(8 Posts)
JimmyChoo17 Wed 29-Jun-11 21:34:10

I really want to give water birthing a go but am advised that only if a water birth trained midwife is present, can I deliver in the pool.

If one isn't available I can labour but not deliver in the pool.I would have to get out to actually give birth.

Why can some do water deliveries and some can't? What affects/prevents training?

Am guessing will be money but would love to know if anyone knows the actual reason.

Also I have read that you are entitled to your choice of birth (if no other safety factors to bear in mind) so you could actually insist on pushing baby out in the water without a water trained midwife anyway......

Would be a shame if labouring was fine in water but you had to get out at the end. Especially when during the midwife/hospital tour they really sell the water birth and benefits wrt pain and reduced risk of tearing. At our childbirth class today tho they said that we could well be denied due to lack of water mw's...

CBear6 Wed 29-Jun-11 21:58:13

I have no idea but I'm really hankering for a water birth this time after being denied it last time so I'm watching with interest.

Have a free bump while I lurk smile

JimmyChoo17 Wed 29-Jun-11 22:01:35

smile thanks! Must be some wise mn-er who can advise! I have mw appt tomorrow so will ask her too.

AnnieLobeseder Wed 29-Jun-11 22:08:35

When DD1 was born they fobbed me off a water birth with various excuses including no trained mw. It ended up being a horrible experience flat on my back. I become weirdly paralysed in labour so I couldn't move about.

I had DD2 at home in water and it was amazing.

Sadly I think the only was to be sure of a water birth is to stay home.

But could they really physically remove you from the water if you refused? wink

VivaLeBeaver Wed 29-Jun-11 22:08:37

Where I work we haven't had the pool long. Well OK we've had it two years now but it doesn't get used a lot. Some midwives are more confident than others in using it. I'm happy as I came from a unit where a pool was used more. But some of the midwives just haven't had the experience. I think when the pool was introduced they got an hour training or something and just don't feel confident. Most of them do, just a few that don't.

I've probably only facilitaed 2 waterbirths in the last 2 years.

Some hospitals may have proper training courses that their midwives need to go on ebfore being signed off. I don't think that insisting on getting in the pool if there isn't a trained midwife will get you very far. They'll just not fill the pool and cite insurance reasons, etc. We sometimes can't let ladies in the pool as we're just too busy. They could insist all they want but it wouldn't change anything.

Hopefully though if your hospital promote it a lot then most of hte midwives will be trained. If you're given a midwife who isn't ask to speak to the shift co-ordinator to ask if midwives could be swapped about to try and find you one that is. Good luck.

notcitrus Wed 29-Jun-11 22:34:24

Are midwives who attend homebirths trained in water birth?

chinateacup Wed 29-Jun-11 22:42:47

I had a water birth with DS1. I arrived at hospital at 7cm and was desperate for pain relief. The MW promised gas & air in the birthing pool. I was uselesly trying to say that I did not want water birth - I was (for some reason) totally against it - but was so desperate for relief that I just did what I was told! Have to say it was a wonderful experience and so am now lurking here as I am really keen to have the same this time (but have moved to a different area).

nunnie Thu 30-Jun-11 09:35:38

There are only two pools at my local hospital and it's a case of first come first serve never mentioned midwife training, but I suppose with only two pools they would realistically only need two trained on a shift here. Didn't want one with DD or DS but fanicied one with this one for some reason but I'm not allowed one, maybe it is the wanting what I can't have been like that since I was child wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now