Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

blood test wimp, anyone else or just me??

(20 Posts)
BellasYummyMummy Wed 29-Jun-11 12:29:36

I have such a phobia of blood tests it's untrue. I've had two children already (one an epidural!) so you would think that I'd be OK with needles by now!
I had to have routine bloods done this morning (am only 10 weeks) and started welling up before she even began! She had to fetch someone else after taking one look at my pathetic veins. Anyway result was they didnt get enough blood and I now have two bruised arms (and a sobbing fit after). I would have thought it would get easier the more often you have it done but I guess not! Not sure if I should ask my hospital to do it as they are amazing there (no offence to the midwives, but phlebotmists do it all the time and I feel know what they;re doing when it comes to rubbish veins).

Anyone else just as pathetic as me?? any tips on how you get through it?

MavisEnderby Wed 29-Jun-11 12:33:31

Hmm needle phobia is awful.I find that sometimes using Emla cream helps patients,but you have to wait a while for the numbing effect.Next time could you take a friend/relative with you who could do some reassurance and handholding.For people with a severe phobia psychological techniques such as visualisation may help in some cases.

crazynanna Wed 29-Jun-11 12:44:04

Poor you BYM sad
I was a Phlebotomist for many years,and it never ceased to amaze me how some of my colleagues really did forget there was a human being at the end of that needle being jabbed repeatedly!
If they are not already using a butterfly needle,insist. Much easier for fragile veins.

And I know it's a cliche,but don't look! It really does reduce the 'fight or flight' reaction.
I think it is reasonable to request your tests be done at the hospital.Midwives have excellent venepuncture skills,but their workload is so heavy and pressurized in the clinics,they maybe do not have the time to spend calming/preparing a nervous/vein challenged patient.
Do some deep breathing whilst you are waiting to go in. smile

harrygraciepie Wed 29-Jun-11 12:57:19

This to is my 3rd pregnancy and Im 9weeks at min so my dreaded bloods are sheduled for next monday arggghhh!!
I have this thing where when I walk in and see which midwife is seeing me that day I know if im going to end up battered and bruised! It is bloody awful and I feel panic attack coming on but Im going to try and not cry this time as I leave the clinic feeling like a utter kn*b!!

roz1982 Wed 29-Jun-11 12:59:52

oh god I HATE blood tests they are hideous!! Whats to like?? someone sucking blood out of your body no thanks!!! I can't watch and I just have to go to a very calm place where I'm thinking 'it will be over soon, It will be over soon,' all the time they are doing it. Especially at the first appt where they take about 95 vials!!!

harrygraciepie Wed 29-Jun-11 13:01:34

Oh Thanks Roz, 95 VIALS U JUST REMINDED ME !!

roz1982 Wed 29-Jun-11 13:08:33

HAHAHA! Sorry harry only 6 really I think...grin

harrygraciepie Wed 29-Jun-11 13:10:30

I know but why does six have to feel like 6 million, ok over cooking it a bit but im so not looking forward to it! I even sit in the car before hand trying to get my veins sticky outy?!! weird..

roz1982 Wed 29-Jun-11 13:15:17

hehe eeeewwwwwww!!! I have a very naturally sticky outy vein, so they are relatively straight forward - I get very quiet and clammy palmed before my blood tests and DH knows to just be quiet and let me dig my nails in - it does take ages though! I don't know how people watch - im SURE i would pass out.

harrygraciepie Wed 29-Jun-11 13:19:25

Its disgusting when u feel the pulling inside your arm, rotten. I think its fantastic that people give blood, I wouldnt be here without it after a messy emergency c section but god know how they volunteer for it! Im aneamic so I cant give blood anyways!

NickyE119 Wed 29-Jun-11 13:25:09

I don't have a needle phobia as such (I have 2 tattoos!) even so, I don't look at what is happening. 2 vials can be taken before you realise. I have had different people take my blood and each one was different. A trained phlebotomist was the only one to leave a bruise and one midwife had created so much pressure in my vein that when she stuck the needle in it squirted blood all over her! Try not to get too worked up about it as I think it just makes things worse. I look at it that its necessary for my health and the health of my unborn child. Now epidurals that's something that scares the crap out of me, won't be having one of those!

harrygraciepie Wed 29-Jun-11 13:32:39

i had to have a planned section with my second after the horrific ordeal with my first and the worst thing was sitting on the bed in theatre having a spinal! I had the biggest panic attack ever ther had to send my hubby out while they calmed me down. I was convinced i couldnt breathe. AWFUL

KatyN Wed 29-Jun-11 13:44:49

When I went for my appointment DH was with me and the mw checked that we were both alright with blood tests.. DH looked a bit confused by the question as he thought he might be getting a test too but the MW explained she'd already had 2 husband's pass out on her that MONTH and wasn't risking any more.

so it's not just us who struggle with the needles!

harrygraciepie Wed 29-Jun-11 13:49:19

Id of given mine a slap if he had fainted after everything we go through to bring there heirs into the world lol

H007 Wed 29-Jun-11 14:00:58

I have difficult veins too, and I guess that is what gives me my issues with having my blood taken. My veins are really thin, so thin that I have been told I can't give blood sad cos the general needle they use for it is bigger. I think having a lifetime of it taking 4/5 different people to poke and prod me with needles and still not get any blood make me very suspicious of people coming towards me with a needle. In fact my MW has been the only person to get me first time.

firsttimer84 Wed 29-Jun-11 16:34:35

I'm normally okish, I don't particularly like them but I used to be phobic. I've been a diabetic for 6 years so I'm more or less used to them now.

I've found that drinking a lot of water does help and telling the nurse that I'm not great with needles, usually means they are a bit more careful. The time before last I didn't mention it to her and she made me yelp!

However, saying all that, I've just been to have my 28 week ones done and I nearly fainted. She had to call a midwife in and everything. I think it was more to do with I'd been at the hospital already for 4 hours by this point going from one appointment to another and then she couldn't get any blood from me. I felt funny before I went in though so I think it was the final straw. Plus I've low bp so it all adds up. I've got to pop back on fri and she'll try again!

milkyways Wed 29-Jun-11 17:22:34

Hi, I am exactly the same. My fear of needles started when I was 17 - went for a blood test and the bloody doctor used a latex glove as a tourniquet, which pinched my skin and then she "poked" around my arm with the needle looking for a vein.
After my DD, I've had numerous miscarriages, and have had to give bloods loads of times. As a rule, I don't trust doctors, midwives or nurses to take my blood. After my first miscarriage, I had a horrible doctor who made holes all they way down my arm looking for a vein - I started hyperventilating and got really light headed and nearly collapsed!
Like you, I trust phelbotomists because they use nice small butterfly needles which don't hurt as much and they are more experienced. Our doctor's surgery have a phlebotomist who comes in on a Thursday to take bloods - you may want to call up your surgery to ask if they have one too. Otherwise, the only tip I can give you, is to ask your doctor to prescribe you emla cream and use it on both arms before you go in to give bloods.

PinkFondantFancy Wed 29-Jun-11 17:45:39

I would definitely recommend drinking lots of water first. Also agree with the advice to look away while it's being done.

I give blood, it's really not as bad as you'd think it would be. Again, they are very experienced at doing it so have definitely got the knack of being able to do it painlessly.

PoppysMom Thu 30-Jun-11 04:50:38

I have a needle phobia too. I always insit on the numbing cream and butterfly needles, but still usually cry.

I am so scared of needles that I let my IV line get infected when I was in hospital, as I was so scared they would move it to the other arm!

It self recovered after 3 weeks, but that was really painful sad

BellasYummyMummy Thu 30-Jun-11 18:29:20

thanks everyone for your replies!!!!! soo nice to see im not alone (though reading the stories has made me feel all funny...!). I never look when they take my blood, my eyes close as soon as i sit down as i dont even want to see the needle on the tray! whimper!!
harry how old are your other two? How do you feel about baby 3?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now