Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Rib and upper back pain on the right side :(

(6 Posts)
Sumi76 Tue 28-Jun-11 23:31:00

I am 28w and have been suffering from rib and upper back pain on the right side since the past 8 weeks. When Im resting its fine but the moment I am out of the house for a couple of hours, it becomes unbearable. Any advice will be helpful.

EightiesChick Tue 28-Jun-11 23:33:52

Have you told a medical professional? Has it got worse over the 8 weeks or stayed the same? I'm off to bed now but my default advice would be get an appointment and discuss it. Better to be safe.

NorthLondonDoulas Wed 29-Jun-11 00:03:18

Aww sorry to hear that, pregnancy isnt the most comfortable thing to go through thats for sure! It is most probably just the way your baby is positioned and he/she is pressing on some nerves and up against your ribs. But as eightiesChick said, just to be on the safe side and for your own peace of mind mention it at your next appointment. Good luck and i hope the discomfort subsides soon - try a nice massage after a warm bath, that can help.x

Safariboots Wed 29-Jun-11 01:23:43

Sumi76, it feels like you wrote my OP, I am 24 weeks and have been getting these gripping pains in the upper back, also on my right side, which then hurt in my ribs and can get really excruciating. I initially dismissed it as trapped wind or some such for which i got painkillers /antacids but it's getting worse. I have today booked an appointment to see someone and I'm hoping doctor/midwfe can explain what this is about.

mummymccar Wed 29-Jun-11 09:40:52

Hey, it sounds like you have costochondritis. It's inflammation of the rib cartilage which is made worse by exercise. It can be caused by pregnancy or a sharp blow to the ribs. For some reason the Drs and Midwives don't really tell people about this despite so many people having it. Unfortunately the only cures are NSAIDs (which you can't take), chiropractic care, and rest. It should go when you deliver but in the meantime don't do any heavy lifting or strenuous exercise. Obviously check all this with your dr. I have it too so I feel your pain!

Sumi76 Sat 02-Jul-11 01:10:50

Hi All. Checked with my consultant and it is indeed Costochondritis. She has prescribed Paracetemol (2 tablets) everyday but I really think thats too much a dosage. But guess I will take it when the pain gets unbearable. My baby is breech since the past few weeks and thats only worsening the issue. Hope she turns soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now