Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Contact lenses

(13 Posts)
Squiglettsmummy2bx Tue 28-Jun-11 19:21:20

Does anyone else pregnant wearing contact lenses find their eyes are getting really sore my the end of the day? I'm due a check up next month anyway so will get my eyes checked but had heard this could happen in pregnancy & wondered if anyone else was experiencing it?

emoo777 Tue 28-Jun-11 19:30:17

During my first pregnancy within a few days of ovulation I couldn't wear contacts at all because my eyes were so dry. Hormones are well known to affect your eyes so this problem is far from uncommon. During this pregnancy however I am able to wear them (although I am on a slightly different type).

ICouldHaveWrittenThis Tue 28-Jun-11 19:32:01

Yes, but switched to some different ones and they were much better.

What lenses do you wear?

Squiglettsmummy2bx Tue 28-Jun-11 19:46:22

Mine are lacrima (sp?) monthly ones. I will pop into specsavers tomorrow & see if they can help. Thank u ladies x

figgygal Tue 28-Jun-11 19:47:45

Apparently it's quite common I've not had any problems with mine yet but have bought extra drops in anticipation

AppleyEverAfter Tue 28-Jun-11 19:50:09

My optician mentioned the contacts could feel dry, drier than usual, while pregnant.

silverangel Tue 28-Jun-11 19:52:50

I use dailies and they're fine - don't know if that would make a difference?

silverangel Tue 28-Jun-11 19:54:00

I use dailies and they're fine - don't know if that would make a difference?

Oeisha Tue 28-Jun-11 21:05:24

My optician told me that if my eyes get sore at the end of the day (I have very fussy eyes, on Accuvue Oaysis) whilst I'm pregnant then it WILL be one of 3 things:
1) Too tired...if you're getting morning sickness, or getting other signs of being tired, then you'll get sore eyes. Remedy: get some more sleep or at least put your feet up more.
2) Dry eyes, thus sore. Your eyes will only be drier as you are more likely to be dehydrated. Drink more, a lot more. Your body will be using up fluids at a rapid rate, especially if you're sick.
3) A combination of the above.

Hormoes can have some influence, but less than people think apparently, and you're more likely to get an 'immediate' reaction - within an hour or so of putting them in.

PinkFondantFancy Tue 28-Jun-11 21:55:59

I wear monthly contact lenses and they are very scratchy and sore now. I think it's due to your eyes being drier than normal. Also, I've heard that your eye balls change shape a bit while you're pregnant due to the extra fluid in your body (I know this sounds mad but I'm sure I didn't just dream that!). I'm still wearing the lenses but not for as long every day.

Jareth Wed 29-Jun-11 00:03:48

Try the two-weekly disposable ones, oaysis I think they're called. Much better than other ones I've tried

buttonmoon78 Wed 29-Jun-11 07:39:25

Pink you didn't dream that! You do have increased pressure in your eyes - my glaucoma check at the hospital has been delayed til after pg as I would probably give a false high reading.

It's a known thing that you're eyes become more fussy. I had problems in pg 1&2 but in 3&4 I've been on dailies with no issues.

My eyes are quite fussy anyway - apparently I make protein on the same level as a diabetic. Which is quite high. Or so I've been told confused

Squiglettsmummy2bx Wed 29-Jun-11 08:32:31

Thanks everyone, definitely going to pop into specsavers x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now