Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I eat roule?

(14 Posts)
Chocolocolate Tue 28-Jun-11 18:05:25

The title says it all really.

DH bought some yesterday and I'd love to spread it on toast!

Chocolocolate Tue 28-Jun-11 18:39:53

Does anyone know the answer to this? It's sitting in the fridge - I am sooo tempted.

Macaroona Tue 28-Jun-11 18:41:55

I would. My rule of thumb is if you can buy it prepackaged in Tesco, it'll be fine. I've been merrily munching cured meats and runny eggs throughout pg though so feel free to ignore me!

lizandlulu Tue 28-Jun-11 18:41:56

i am not 100% sure but i dont think so. its soft cheese isnt it so i presume it would come under the soft cheese catagory, unless you look at the packet and see if it says its pasturised??

prolificwillybreeder Tue 28-Jun-11 19:21:28

I'm not certain but garlic and herb Philly could be a worst case there is no substitute for roule who am I kidding a worthy substitute?

salvadory Tue 28-Jun-11 19:39:19

it is pasteurised, I've been eating shed loads of it in the last 2 weeks (am 10 weeks) £1/pack at Sainsbos, yum

Badgerwife Tue 28-Jun-11 20:07:41

i'd say it's fine as long as it's pasteurised. It's cheeses with a rind and blue cheeses you should avoid. And anything unpasteurised of course

prolificwillybreeder Tue 28-Jun-11 20:11:01

£1 in Sains?! This is excellent news grin

Flowerydems Tue 28-Jun-11 21:16:57

I agree with Salvadory. I saw it was pasteurised and it was all I could do to stop myself from having the whole pack at once. I thought soft cheese was fine during pregnancy and went by the rules that badgerwife said. smile

BuffyFan Tue 28-Jun-11 21:22:14

Yep, I think you're fine. It's a cream cheese rather than a "soft" cheese. Munch away! grin

PoppysMom Wed 29-Jun-11 03:28:07

All cheeses are pasteurised in UK supermarkets unless it says otherwise on the packed.
Even Brie and Camembert are fine.

But avoid blue cheeses. Enjoy smile

lizandlulu Wed 29-Jun-11 07:52:37

wow i really thought i couldnt have it! i love itgrin i have got to 35 weeks not having anything cream cheesysad off to the shops i go this morninggrin

aethelfleda Wed 29-Jun-11 21:18:58

poppys: not trying to be alarmist but the mould-ripened cheeses (brie, camenbert) are a matter of debate- although the milk used to make them is sometimes pasteurised, they reintroduce the mould to make the white mouldy outer, so that makes it a potential source of listeria (which likes the white mould a lot).
I looked on the pasteurised brie in Sainsburys and it still had a warning to avoid if pregnant.

However, non mould ripened cheeses made with pastuerised milk (like roule, hooray!) are fine.

Tangle Wed 29-Jun-11 23:20:03

I'd also be very cautious of any mould ripened cheese - blue or white. AFAIK its not that the white mould is attractive to listeria so much as that a mould ripened cheese is, by definition, an environment conducive to bacterial growth. If there is any contamination post pasteurization (which happens at a pretty early stage in the process) then the unwanted bacteria are likely to thrive just as much as those that were introduced to mature the cheese.

Hard cheeses are less of an issue as they have a far higher salt content than their squidgey, mouldy counterparts - which makes them far less bacteria-friendly (in fact IIRC Parmesan is considered safe to eat as the salt content is so high, even though its usually made from unpasteurised milk).

That said, its worth remembering that any cheese on the risky list (including brie, camembert, chevre, stilton, etc) is fine as long as its cooked and is piping hot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now