Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Raspberry leaf capsules

(11 Posts)
Lynzilove Tue 28-Jun-11 17:53:27

Read somewhere about taking these for a few weeks before edd and also arnica tablets. Does anyone know how often etc. Can't find the info i got it from, I'm 37+5.

ohanotherone Tue 28-Jun-11 17:55:54

Or tea, I've bought two packets, when do I start drinking it???? Sorry to hijack thread..... It's in the NICE guidelines that it helps prevent a ceasarian!!!!

EauRouge Tue 28-Jun-11 17:57:15

Arnica tablets are just sugar homeopathy pills with no arnica at all in them so no need to bother with those.

Raspberry leaf capsules or tea should only be taken after 37 weeks so you're good to go grin The packaging will tell you how much to take. You can get Ready mama tea in some of the bigger supermarkets or I think Holland and Barretts sell the capsules. Not sure how effective they are, I don't think there have been any conclusive studies. The ready mama tea is quite nice anyway.

VioletV Tue 28-Jun-11 18:20:50

You can drink Raspberry leaf tea from 32 weeks. Not sure about the tablets. I've been drinking mine 3-4 cups a day since Saturday and nothing so far!!

I'm 37+4

ohanotherone Tue 28-Jun-11 20:06:01

I drank lots of raspberry tea last time and had a very easy birth but it was 5 years ago and I couldn't remember when to take them. If it's in the NICE clinical guidelines about ceasarians (draft doc) then I would imagine that there is conclusive evidence that they have some effect.

VeryHungryKatypillar Tue 28-Jun-11 20:08:51

I definitely recommend raspberry leaf tea, they used to increase my BH and I credit it with quick second stage (13 mins, 3 contractions). Totally anecdotal evidence of course but I know I'm right! grin
I started taking it around 37 weeks, bout 3/4 cups a day.

Lynzilove Tue 28-Jun-11 21:11:45

It says you can use a capsule to make tea so I'm guessing around 3/4 capsules a day, that's what it said on the bottle but it seemed alot!

NorthLondonDoulas Tue 28-Jun-11 23:39:26

I absolutly love love love rasberry leaf and swear by them!!! I dont like the taste of the tea, but have used the capsules in all four of my pregnancies. I have also recommended them to my expectant clients and those who took rasberry leaf (including myself) all had a fast and smooth 2nd stage of labour - def recommend them to all!!!

Capsules are x3 a day
Tea between x2 - x5 a day

Good luck.x

marykat2004 Tue 28-Jun-11 23:44:02

I drank raspberry leaf tea for the last few weeks of pregnancy, aged 38. I had a very fast labour but unfortunately had a c-section because the baby's head got stuck. Just my 2 cents, anyway. Raspberry leaf tea won't do any harm, might do some good, and tastes nice. But it is not a cure for ALL of the things can cause ceasarians .

As for Arnica, I thought that was for trauma and bruises. Can't see much point in that before the birth, but maybe afterwards.

WinterLover Wed 29-Jun-11 17:24:45

Im drinking Raspberry Leaf Tea x1 per day. It may be a coincidence but since drinking it, I can cough and sneeze without worrying wink

Im almost 33 weeks and MW says it wont do any harm, just dont take the tablets until your 37 weeks. Im upping tea to 2 cups from 33 weeks, I do like the taste and its not increased BH or any other affects like that so MW says its ok to carry on.

Plus its nice to drink it for a change rather than decaff tea or decaff green tea smile

Its not meant to bring on labour, just aid the second stage of labour. The only side affect is that it can increase BH, but from what I was told as long as you dont go from not drinking it to drinking 5 cups a day you should be ok. Introduce it slowly grin

aethelfleda Wed 29-Jun-11 21:00:28

There's a study from Australia where they used rasperry leaf tea extract in several hundred women and it made the second stage eight and a half minutes quicker and reduced levels of instrumental delivery (forceps, ventouse).

I drank it with my DDs from 36 weeks and had a short second stage with them both (20 mins each). Might be placebo effect but it worked for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now