Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Video of second scan

(5 Posts)
SmB12345 Tue 28-Jun-11 17:33:34

I had my second scan for Number Two this afternoon at St Thomas' Hospital and am upset that the sonographer didn't let us video the scan. She didn't seem to have a good reason: she cited 'Medical appointment' and 'Hospital policy'.

For her maybe it was just a medical appointment. For me it was emotional viewing of my second child.

I feel angry that she didn't allow us to video it and share our special experience with others. We were allowed to video the first scan there. I left the appointment crying and shaking. It took me an hour to feel normal enough to return to work.

It also brought back scary memories for me. I remember feeling powerless and not in control of my choices (that do exist but are not communicated by many health professionals) around DD1's birth and aftercare. Forced induction, being told I wasn't allowed to leave the hospital until three days after the birth, and not being allowed to use my mobile phone in the ward. Three days of isolation as I don't have family in London.

Am I being unreasonable? Why does the NHS insist on treating you this way?

TittyBojangles Tue 28-Jun-11 17:55:56

Did you ask the hospital in advance?

silverangel Tue 28-Jun-11 20:01:50

Presuming as its a second scan it was an anomaly scan - perhaps they don't want it videoed in case there is a problem. I'm pretty sure I have seen a sign in my hospital saying videoing isn't allowed.

Have to say, I wouldn't want to be videoed at work!

SmB12345 Thu 30-Jun-11 08:36:43

Hm. My partner was videoing the screen, not the sonographer, for the first scan. I think it is unreasonable that they didn't allow this.

Renaissance227 Thu 30-Jun-11 10:38:29

I've never heard of videoing the scan, but I wish I had before!! Can't believe I missed the chance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now