Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

early scans

(25 Posts)
LoneStarGirl Tue 28-Jun-11 17:15:14

hi, I'm 6 weeks with my first pregnancy and along with all the excitement & happiness I'm feeling anxious about everything going to plan - which is normal, I know.

I wondered if anyone had paid to have an early scan for peace of mind rather than for any medical reason? My doctor has said that unless there is a known health risk, there isn't really much point, and if they can't see anything at the early scan for whatever reason (mixed up dates etc) this can actually cause more anxiety.

we haven't told anyone yet but people are going to guess soon especially as we've got a big family gathering coming up where it will be REALLY obvious that I'm not drinking. I think that I/we would feel much happier with people finding out earlier knowing that we had an early scan done.

anyone had this done/wish they'd had it done?
any advice is much appreciated.

Bartimaeus Tue 28-Jun-11 17:20:45

I didn't get an early scan done, no medical reason to get one done.

I remember how hard it was waiting for the 12 weeks but I was glad I did because we saw a proper little baby plus I can't imagine how heartbreaking it must be to get an early scan, say at 8 or 9 weeks and to see a heartbeat and then miscarry a few weeks later sad...

Another point, 9 months is a LONG time and it's good to space out the milestones!!! grin

LoneStarGirl Tue 28-Jun-11 17:26:05

thanks bartimaeus,
i think i'm probably over eager and over excited! I just don't think I can wait til the first scan.

my husband does get quite anxious though and i do think it would alleviate his fears in some way? I guess I've got time to decide anyway...

Littlepic Tue 28-Jun-11 17:27:39

Hi,

I had an early scan at 8 weeks. I'd had some bleeding so I found it really reassuring. I was planning to have the scan anyway just for piece of mind and was really glad I'd booked it when I had the bleeding.

Totally your decision as I could see in some circumstances how it could cause more heart ache!!

Chocolocolate Tue 28-Jun-11 17:31:55

I had an early scan at 9 weeks as I was anxious like you.

For me, it was well worth the money as I felt so much better afterwards.

jamama Tue 28-Jun-11 17:32:29

I didn't either - I thought about it, but decided that if there wasn't a medical reason to do it, I wouldn't. As Barti says, there is sadly no guarantee that if the embryo is happy and well at 7 or 8 weeks that one won't miscarry, which is the principle reason not to tell many people until after the 12wk scan.
I worried excessively about other people noticing that I wasn't drinking at events, but actually, no-one really notices what anyone else is doing. If at a wedding, perfectly fine to let them pour you a glass and then fiddle with it whilst drinking water. I was at a conference a few weeks ago, was not 'out' yet at work, and given my normal attitude to free booze grin was terrified that colleagues would comment. But everyone else was battered and didn't notice or care, as evidenced by the young lad who insisted on giving me a hug as I wasn't going out clubbing with them (my look of confused mild disdain must've been a picture!)

Beesok Tue 28-Jun-11 17:32:29

I had one at 9 weeks for reassurance as I had had a previous MMC at 8 weeks and it was amazing to see a tiny baby with a flickering heartbeat smile It's different than the actual 12 weeks scan where the baby is bigger - I was glad we did it and that first scan pic is still my favourite smile

It def. gave me lots of reassurance and I did tell my parents and in-laws as well as some close friends after that early scan.

faintpositive Tue 28-Jun-11 17:36:08

ahhh your just really excited thats all.
BUT

imhe 6 weeks may or may not show anything other than an empty sac...no baby yet. This causes utter utter hopeless distress as this is an indication of miscarriage to come. (blighted ovum)

Another 2 weeks and a baby & HB should show up.
Im the same, desperate for a scan butt hen i have had loads of mcs so im anxious for other reasons.

Bless, it IS exciting and congratulations smilegrin

PrincessScrumpy Tue 28-Jun-11 17:46:51

at 6 weeks we were told pg wasn't viable and were devastated, then at 7 weeks we were told all was fine and we actually had 2 healthy babies sharing the space! IMO 6 week scans can cause far more stress and upset - Id at least wait until 7 or 8 weeks as there should be a heart beat.

banana87 Tue 28-Jun-11 17:51:41

I would wait until 8 weeks if I were you. If you are near St. George's they have a self refer EPU which you can attend and get scanned if you are anxious.

TallulahBetty Tue 28-Jun-11 17:54:11

I had an early scan at 6+4 due to unexplained pain. While it was for more reason than just 'reassurance', it did reassure me sooo much that there was a tiny heartbeat (and obviously that my pain was not caused by anything going wrong with baby).

juneau Tue 28-Jun-11 17:56:24

I had a 7-week scan with pregnancy #1 and an 8-week scan with pregnancy #3 - both were fine and it really set my mind at rest. Pregnancy #2 I didn't have an early scan and I had a MMC at 12 weeks, so learned my lesson!

Cattleprod Tue 28-Jun-11 18:04:38

If you really can't wait for 12 weeks, then I'd suggest waiting until at least 8 or 9 weeks, when there will definitely be a heartbeat if there's going to be one, and also the chances of miscarrying become much less at this point once a heartbeat has been seen.

Afaik 7 weeks is the point at which a lot of the brain, heart, spine etc development occurs, so best to wait until after this to have a reassurance check.

mummyzoe2012 Thu 30-Jun-11 11:59:25

ive had two early scans one due to quireed eptopic at 7 weeks and one due an assalt at 10 weeks 5 days, both were fine. if ur wanting reasurance ask them to do a blood test preg test and that will tell you that ur producing the right amount of hgc if your not they will do a scan then! thats what doc told me to do but he was more concered about the pains i was getting but they are normal as your organs move out the way for baby to grow

kri5ty Thu 30-Jun-11 12:04:26

i had 3 early scans (suspected eptopic), the last of these was around 9 weeks and you could see the little alien and a heartbeat lol. And these were all internal scans

i was going to pay to have an early dating scan as my nhs was was at 13 weeks... it costs around £100, however if you are going to get one, you would prob have to wait until around 9/10 weeks

Its normal to feel anxious, as long as you are having no pain/ bleeding i would try and wait. the one thing that stopped be from booking it is i thught "if anything has happened finding out 2 weeks earlier will not change the fact"

YBR Thu 30-Jun-11 12:52:02

LoneStarGirl - you could, if you wish, claim to be on some medicine which reacts badly to alcohol?

(Now on my 3rd Pregnancy at 15 wks after 2 MMCs both ending around 8 wks. We told close friends and family imediately this time - so they could support us!)

RickGhastley Thu 30-Jun-11 12:56:50

I'd wait a bit if you can, even if you have a good scan at 6/7 wks and start telling people, there is unfortunately still a chance that you could m/c between then and the 12 wk scan (this was my experience sad)

benne81 Thu 30-Jun-11 14:32:37

I had a previous ectopic so had scans at 4, 6, 8 , 11 and 12 weeks (in fact I've now had so many scans I think my husband would be pretty confident doing the next one!) You can't really see much until at least 8 weeks and even then it is pretty blobby but the heartbeat can be seen. Usually the reason why people wait to tell people is the increased risk of misscarriage before 12 weeks and also you can't have the full combined screening which tells you about potential problems (down etc.) before 11 weeks. At 8 weeks it is just a case of giving you a confirmed due date, telling you it is in the right place and that its got a heart beat. Its completely up to you, even with the multiple scans we had I waited until 13 weeks to tell people as the combined screening at 12 weeks threw up that I was increased risk etc and I needed to get my head round that before telling people.

LoneStarGirl Thu 30-Jun-11 18:01:37

thanks for all the advice!much appreciated.

we've decided to go ahead with the early scan but wait until I'm a bit further along.

angeljefferson Thu 30-Jun-11 18:09:36

Lonestar just to make you aware it will be an internal scan! They cant do an external scan until your 12 weeks, I had 2, one at 7 1/2 weeks and it looks like a prawn with a heart beat, my second scan at 10 wks 4 days was great and looked like a tiny baby! I dont want you getting a shock when they ask you to take your underwear off and get up on a bed with stirups!! good luck grin

RickGhastley Fri 01-Jul-11 20:07:35

My sonographer called it "DildoCam"!!

MelanieWiggles Fri 01-Jul-11 20:32:05

I had early scans at 9+0 weeks in both pregnancies and they were both external (thankfully!). They were for reassurance as a friend had a missed mc diagnosed at 12 weeks (baby seemed to have stopped growing at 6 weeks) and I was very nervous of the same thing happening.

PinkFondantFancy Sat 02-Jul-11 06:53:58

Just wanted to add that even if your scan is internal, it's really nothing at all to worry about-only a tiny amount of the probe goes in and it is nothing at all like an internal examination, more like the feeling of a tampon. I've had 6 done..... They can do early scans externally but I think it's more detailed if it's done internally.

I think having an early scan is a great idea, it's very reassuring to see something there at 8 weeks and although 12 weeks is cited as the critical 'safe' point, if everything is looking ok at 8 weeks you have a good chance it's going to be ok.

By the way I wouldn't worry about people noticing, as the others have said, you'd be surprised but they really don't notice whether you're drinking or not. As Jamama says, if it's wine on a table, just fiddle with it a bit while drinking water. If you normally drink spirit and mixer, lime and side in a half pint glass looks the same as vodka lime and soda. And Becks blue is alcohol free and really nice.

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Sat 02-Jul-11 21:21:49

It's likely they'll do an external scan first at least (only doing a vaginal scan if they can't see anything). I've had 2 early scans (in different pregnancies) - one at 8+5, one at 6+2 and saw a wee bean with a heart both times on external scanning.

fatandknackered Sat 02-Jul-11 21:29:34

I had a 9 week scan with first pregnancy, just like you because we were anxious and also wanted to tell people as we had lots of weddings and things coming up. It was an external scan. Don't expect a wonderful little picture like you get with a 12 week scan, there is less to see and the heartbeat is harder to find etc. Mind you that was 5 years ago, technology has probably moved on!!

But we found it very reassuring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now