Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Long distance meetings 30 weeks +

(4 Posts)
Newmummytobe79 Tue 28-Jun-11 16:58:52

I'm a bit stuck ... one manager (felmale) has stopped me travelling long distances to meetings - 7 hour round trips in one day. One manager (male) seems a little annoyed at this decision.

Do I just sit back and accept there will be no long distance travel up to maternity leave, or do I fight to go on them?

I'm 31 weeks and have appox 3 in the next 5 weeks.

Thanks

flamegirl77 Tue 28-Jun-11 17:11:26

Can you phone in to the meetings? I wouldn't fancy travelling distances like that. I'm 30 weeks. Do you feel you're mssing out if you don't go or are you worried about annoying the male manager? Is her your line manager?

lightsandshapes Tue 28-Jun-11 17:17:22

do you really want to?? It may be a health and safety isue. I just did a long train journey at 23 weeks for work - it wasn't nice, esp on the train, and things including my bump getting squished at a ticket barrier, sitting next to drunken youths really ped me off! I even got the sweats and palpitations at one point.

I'd say s*d your male boss.....

Pastabee Tue 28-Jun-11 19:54:55

I think it should be up to you really. If you feel ok then your pregnancy shouldn't stop you attending meetings you want to be involved in. If you do find travelling hard then you should be supported in not going to long distance meetings or should be allowed to stay over the night before to break journey down.

I also travel a lot. Just in UK but includes flying to NI. My boss (male, works in office 200 miles away so give him his due here) got me to complete a risk assessment for pregnant women which took into account travelling by train and when I have to stop flying and his conclusion was apart from flying which air passenger rules cover to just do what I feel is best re long train and car journeys. I really think that's the right answer for an employer to give here.

How do you think you are coping? I've found I'm doing ok with travelling so far but it is much more tiring than before so am trying to use video link more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now