Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can anyone recommend some really nice nightwear for hosp?

(19 Posts)
lucysnowe Tue 28-Jun-11 12:45:39

Hi all

I am having a c-section and since I will be hospital for a few days, thought I would get some really nice nightwear, ie, a nightie (ideally with buttons for bfing), dressing gown and slippers.

Don't want anything too sexy or frumpy, just nice and comfy, really.

Any recommendations?

beanlet Tue 28-Jun-11 13:11:50

What, so you can bleed all over it?

I had a CS - you still have locha to deal with once it's over, so you really don't want a nice new nightie. Get a cheap cotton nightie in a dark colour that you can throw away once yoy're done with it. And mahoosive granny full briefs to go over your stitches, and maybe yoga pants if you want to feel semi-dressed.

beanlet Tue 28-Jun-11 13:12:31

Lochia...

Cattleprod Tue 28-Jun-11 13:16:31

Whatever you get, get it in a dark colour. Disguises the blood stains better....

Rootatoot Tue 28-Jun-11 13:20:11

Whilst i know what Beanlet means, you still have to be comfortable. If you bleed on it, then you bleed on it but if you go for dead cheap ( I have just been for a look) then they're often not very soft. I've just got a nice bhs nightie and dressing gown which were very reasonable. They're pale colours but then most nightwear is. Just loose and cool cotton with buttons right down front.

I want to find some soft black yoga pants/top which will work as PJs too but haven't been able to go shopping yet. Want to feel fabric first rather than do pot luck online.

I know NEXT have black PJs in just now btw, was tempted to try them as can send back if no good.

lucysnowe Tue 28-Jun-11 13:36:49

LOL at the blood!

I know what you mean but last time I wore a horrible pink stripey polyester thing and I want to look posher this time. smile Also since I'll be in for a while I want something that won't be too skanky if I can't get changed.

Rootatoot, thanks. I checked out Next but the nicest stuff is all pjs (not recommended with a catheter) and the nighties all look a bit short and baby-dollish, IYKWIM.

Any other suggestions?

silverangel Tue 28-Jun-11 13:49:11

I'm having a section too and read that nightdresses are better than pjs as you will have catheter at first and then they won't cut in the scar. I get a couple a navy one and a black one in Mothercare at the weekend, chemise type things suitable for bf. Otherwise haven't seen anything at all!

lucysnowe Tue 28-Jun-11 14:00:14

Ooh, there's this

that's the kind of thing I'm looking for...

Rootatoot Tue 28-Jun-11 14:04:13

Did you find the black nightie? Looks knee length to me but maybe not. Nice black lightweight dressing gown.

http://www.next.co.uk/women-maternity-collections/maternity-collections/39

Not easy to find nice stuff though, you're right.

Millie26 Tue 28-Jun-11 14:06:43

I didnt bleed that much with my c section as they suck most of it out. I wore my DHs shirts that he didnt want anymore.

They smelt of him so when he wasnt there I gave them a good sniff smile

Also, fab for bfeeding and not in the way of the catheter.

Bear in mind that it is BOILING in hospital. Get something thin.

Mothercare do lovely breastfeeding tops and sleepwear, I had some of them in hospital too.

lucysnowe Tue 28-Jun-11 14:07:05

Oh, I didn't see that that was a maternity one! That will probably make it longish. Thanks, Rootatoot, will take another look!

(NB that one does look quite sexy to me tho but I think that says more about what I usually wear in bed than the nightie smile)

Rootatoot Tue 28-Jun-11 14:11:17

lollucysnowe ...I'm saying nothing about state of my nightwear! ;)

AJH2007 Tue 28-Jun-11 15:28:54

Am booked for a C section next week and I've just bought a 'womana' birthing wrap from the NCT online shop - it's on offer down from £49 to £32, which I guess is still quite expensive - but thought I'd treat myself. You can untie it at the front for feeding/skin to skin etc.

Sidge Tue 28-Jun-11 15:50:56

You will only have a catheter in for the first 6-8 hours or so, and you'll probably still be in a hospital gown for that period so don't rule out PJs on that basis.

Whatever you get, make sure it's soft cotton, not fleecy (hospitals are HOT), not polyester (you will sweat) and quite roomy as you won't want anything fitted at all.

After the first day I wore my day clothes anyway (ie maternity trousers and tops) as I can't be doing with spending all day in my PJs. Then wore regular PJs at night, the sort that button up the front so I could feed.

Cattleprod Tue 28-Jun-11 17:21:45

Rootatoot, have you tried Sainsbury's for yoga pants? Not the cheap £7-8 ones which go baggy, but the £10-12 which have a different colour waistband and come in different lengths. Mine have worn really well, and Sainsbo's often have 25% off clothing.

Rootatoot Tue 28-Jun-11 17:32:17

ohh thanks Cattleprod, no I haven't. They're knocking lumps out of our Sainsburys right now but I think they're still doing clothes whilst they refit. I've been doing online shopping to give my blood pressure a rest these last couple weeks but I'll have to pop in when I muster up the energy. I'm scared to do much at the mo, in case it sends BP high and they send me back to hospital!

Eviepoo Tue 28-Jun-11 20:55:33

I wear this kind of thing anyway pj bottoms

they are actually really thin and soft and have found they have lasted well throughout my PG. I have grey, black and navy (I'll take the latter two colours with me) (and various tops to go with them) such as this top

but I'm planning to get nursing vests from H&M maternity to wear on the top - both in hospital and later at home for ease of feeding

Rootatoot Tue 28-Jun-11 23:48:40

That's what I was looking for. Found some my size in Debenhams which look similar. Been looking at tops though without much luck. Can't find H&M maternity tops online and don't think I will fancy another trip to horrid big shopping centre anytime soon. i've got a couple maternity/nursing tops but they're a bit tight with the built in under boob elastic bit so not sure if they will be comfy enough after baby born.

I have got nightie and dressing gown, just fancy something else too that will double up as daywear really.

The Next maternity pj's are lovely... really nice silky material... think they had a nightie too? You might want some trousers though to feel comfy... I did after my first which was a c section... Mothercare 2 packs of nighties are nice too, I got a few in the sale, the strappy ones. Black ones for hospital!! Still wearing them now, baby is 12 weeks...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now