Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just had a fall- 7 months pregnant - Urgent advice please.

(10 Posts)
emoo777 Tue 28-Jun-11 11:58:49

I work in a lab and was walking along and slipped on something wet and fell over but managed to stick my hands out before I hit the ground (quite a jolt). I thought I had hurt my ankle but that now feels OK. I am just worried about the impact on the baby. Tried to phone my midwife but she is in an appointment so has 'added me to her list' to call back. Any advice? Should I try to get seen more urgently? I can feel the baby moving.

MonkeeMummy Tue 28-Jun-11 12:03:18

Poor thing... hope someone more helpful comes along but until then... have you got a first aid room where you can lie down for a bit until you feel better? Might be worth giving the maternity unit a call but try not to worry... your baby is really well protected in there. Take care.

mumblebum Tue 28-Jun-11 12:07:04

If you feel ok and can feel baby moving then you are more than likely fine. Might be worth taking a break and having some rest while you wait to speak to the MW though. You've given yourself a nasty fright if nothing else. If you are worried then call the hospital. They might suggest you come in for some monitoring.

Mintmagnums Tue 28-Jun-11 12:07:53

I had a fall around 6 or 7 months and the midwife asked if id fallen on my bump (I hadn't) or whether I had any pain in bump (I didn't). And she asked if I could feel baby moving (which I could). She said baby would be fine in that case. So it sounds like your baby is fine too - would maybe try the midwife again in a bit though if she doesn't ring back in the next hour, just for your own peace of mind! As Monkeemummy said, baby is very well protected x

shmoz Tue 28-Jun-11 12:08:48

Good thing that baby is moving. They are pretty well protected in there with the amniotic fluid, they can withstand a bit of jolting, but you would be wise to get checked.

Do you have the number for your maternity unit in your notes? You could give them a ring and ask their advice if your mw doesn't come back to you soon.

Hope everything's ok.

As my mother would very helpfully say, ooh be careful, look where you're going

porcupine11 Tue 28-Jun-11 12:10:05

I had a big fall at 8 months, feet went under me on slippy decking and I slammed down flat on my back. The hospital were keen that i come in and be hooked up to the machines for an hour or two to make sure baby was fine (he was, and it didn't kickstart labour either). Worth doing, for peace of mind. My friend tumbled down the stairs top to bottom at 7 months and she was also fine, but also had the monitoring done. Call the hospital unit where you are planning to give birth and ask if you can come in today.

TobyLerone Tue 28-Jun-11 12:11:19

I fell over playing rounders at about 6mths pregnant. Fell forward but I managed to twist sideways so that I landed on my hip. I also hurt my boob quite a lot! Everything was fine. I was at an NHS picnic, of all places, so I was surrounded by nurses. Baby was moving, I didn't really hurt myself apart from a huge bruise on my hip, and it was all fine.

Try not to worry. Hope your midwife can reassure you.

fraktious Tue 28-Jun-11 12:15:32

Personal I would ask to go in and be monitored. The likelihood of serious consequences is small but the risk is there.

Keep an eye on how your bump feels. If it goes hard, go straight in. Likewise if you have any bleeding or the baby stops moving.

Icelollycraving Tue 28-Jun-11 14:05:53

I had a fall recently at 37 weeks really whacking my bump so I can appreciate you feel worried.
Good news is that baby is still moving,is that kicking? It's important that it's more kicks than just the feeling of them swishing. If you didn't land on yr bump I'm sure you will be absolutely fine.
Can you call yr maternity unit at the hospital for advice or fetal assessment centre?
You must record this in yr accident at work though.

emoo777 Tue 28-Jun-11 19:07:52

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I am only just back from hospital. My midwife suggested I call the hospital because I am rhesus negative and so any trauma could cause a more serious problem. I then had an hour when the baby didn't move so got a bit nervous. Then he/she did move again. Assessment unit was very busy so wasn't seen for 3 hours but they did monitor the heartbeat for 45 mins and everything seemed fine. They took blood to test for the presence of foetal cells and if they are present I will get anti-D tomorrow. Although I didn't get discharged for 6 hours, I felt they did check thoroughly so it was well worth going in to make sure. Just writing this in case anyone finds themself in the same position.

Bizarrely in my last pregnancy I had a bad fall bang on 7 months and that is precisely what I am today!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now