Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Head or Bum????

(25 Posts)
Kerri1983 Mon 27-Jun-11 18:29:22

I had my 36 week appointment (at home) nearly two weeks ago now, when midwife felt for the baby she said oh this is a head but I was shocked as I was getting lots of movements/kicks around my ribs and thought that the baby was engaged.

I then laid on the floor and she examined the baby again and confirmed that she had got it wrong and that what she thought was a head was a bum.

I still get kicks at my sides and around my ribs but had a braxton hicks the other night and I could of swore it looked and felt more like a head at the top of my bump.

I am really quite worried and it is playing on my mind, silly question but how much can a head be like a bum???? Surely I would know if I was being kicked in the wrong direction???

I have my 38 week app on Thursday and don't want to bother my midwife before then but thought I would ask all you lovely ladies if you had any advice?

Thanks, Kerri xxx

jezebelle Mon 27-Jun-11 18:34:13

I had my son last week and was induced, i was told a few times that he might be breech but at 38 wks midwife thought not, anyhow ended up being scanned when admitted as his bum wiggled like a head smile turned out he had a very boney bum, even the consultant wasn't 100% until scan.

NightLark Mon 27-Jun-11 18:37:51

A head can be VERY like a bum. Took 3 midwives, one obs and a scan to confirm my baby was breech at 38 weeks. It is surprisingly difficult to tell.

BikeRunSki Mon 27-Jun-11 18:40:13

From about 30 weeks, DS used to kick me so hard in the soft bit between my pelvis/fanjo that my leg would buckle. When I said this to DH and MW, they said it must be punches I was feeling. I said it was too powerful to be punches... guess what... DS was undiagnosed breech, emcs etc.

suzikettles Mon 27-Jun-11 18:45:18

Apparently there was a week when my mum was pregnant with me where she thought she was having twins (this is pre scans) because the Dr mistook my bum for a head.

So, I guess they can feel pretty similar!

Kerri1983 Mon 27-Jun-11 18:46:40

Thank you ladies, making me feel much better about things now smile

I was pretty sure baby is the right way around but midwife put that bit of doubt in my mind x

PrincessJenga Mon 27-Jun-11 18:52:43

I'm watching this thread with interest as my midwife also couldn't tell where the head was last time I went in. There's a very round, very hard patch at the top of my bump, which could be bum or head. She wasn't sure. I've been obsessed with trying to work out where he is since, but he's getting hiccups less than he used to so I can't use that to gauge where he is!

I have my 36 week app on Thurs and was under the impression that if they couldn't tell then they would send me for a scan to check and then discuss EVC/ELCS etc. It sounds from your experiences that maybe that won't be the case.

chocolatehobnobs Mon 27-Jun-11 18:58:08

If there is doubt I would ask for a scan. A friend of mine went into fast progressing labour last week with DD1, got to hospital 8cm dilated, was found to be breech and needed breech delivery in theatre with legs in stirrups and spinal anaesthetic with 20 people watching as so few midwives had delivered breech babies vaginally.

Pudding2be Tue 28-Jun-11 12:37:37

Chocolate - your friend had an audience shock ?? I know they need to learn by experiance, but your poor firend, I hope she is ok.

I think my LO is still transverse. Fingers crossed she turns

owlbooty Tue 28-Jun-11 13:20:50

My MW had a similar dilemma at my 34 week appt last week. She was finding the heartbeat all over the place as he was moving around, and whilst she decided after palpating twice that he was most probably head down, she's going to double check at 36 weeks and if she can't be 100% sure I will go to the ECV clinic for a scan to confirm. Am planning a home birth so really don't want to find he is a missed breech! I'm finding I feel hiccups low in my pelvis and what feels like feet sticking into my ribs though so I am very hopeful he's the right way up.

Babies can have really bony arses. If she was pretty sure when she checked the second time then tis most probably absolutely fine - but I am sure she will check again at your next appt. Good luck!

missnevermind Tue 28-Jun-11 13:31:38

I had a scan last week and the baby is breach at 37 weeks.
The day after I saw my own midwife and she had a feel and told me baby is head down as it is supposed to be.
I had to argue with her that it wasn't and after a more thorough exam she agreed with me.
But if I haddnt been so sure because of the scan I would have taken her word for it.

tunnocksteacake Tue 28-Jun-11 13:43:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

buttonmoon78 Tue 28-Jun-11 14:00:05

Mine is oblique/transverse: bottom over L hip, head under R ribs, one foot in cervix, one over underneath head. I feel all the hiccups in it's abdomen though - not in it's head confused.

In tomorrow for a scan and appt to discuss ecv (no thanks) and booking date.

missnevermind Tue 28-Jun-11 14:14:55

Good luck tomorrow Buttonmoon.
I keep bumping into you on these threads grin
I have my last scan tomorrow too. And then all decisions will be made and I will finally get my date.

buttonmoon78 Tue 28-Jun-11 15:11:57

You never know - we might be date buddies!

missnevermind Tue 28-Jun-11 16:21:10

AND it never occurred to me that I could refuse an ECV until you mentioned it on another thread. When I let the know last weeknthey were very understanding and supportive.

buttonmoon78 Tue 28-Jun-11 16:30:24

Fingers xed they'll be as understanding and supportive for me tomorrow! I'm really nervous actually. Didn't have a great experience with an FY1 last time. I'm hoping the consultant himself will be nicer to me!

MissyBrookes Tue 28-Jun-11 16:33:50

While in hospital last week one of the (many many) midwifes who prodded at me asked which way the baby was lying. I had to repeatedly tell her he was definitely head down, no he hadn't moved into breech since the scan the day before and that i could physically grab his little foot when he kicked out to my side!!! Lots of the mjidwives couldn't tell either, including my own mum.

After further examination she finally agreed that he just had a huge bony arse haha. So to answer, heads and bums can apparently be very similar smile

PrincessJenga Tue 28-Jun-11 21:48:37

I have a foot sticking out of my right hand side almost constantly. Does that mean he's more likely to be the right way up? Or could he be transverse?

Hmmm... it's all so confusing... I just have to wait until Thurs and then beg for a scan don't I?

PrincessScrumpy Tue 28-Jun-11 22:00:12

I'm expecting twins and can feel the shapes much clearer than with dd1 but bums and heads do feel similar.

JimmyChoo17 Tue 28-Jun-11 22:20:45

Had the same...my mw said...whilst prodding top of bump...its definitely head or bum there...hmm this was during week 36 check up.

My kicks and prod alternated between low and high....

Turns out at scan during scan which she booked ffor me that same week....baby was head down but my baby has a very firm bum! Erm...doesn't get that from me I must add! If any doubt at your stage insist on scan. We couldnt determine position from kicks as baby is like an octopus! The. Head does feel much harder but can easily be mistaken!

proncessjenga it sometimes seems like I have feet hanging out either side...maybe baby is doing the splits grin

witches Wed 29-Jun-11 08:23:42

Hey buttonmoon and miss nevermind we must be having similar pregnancies! Got consultant today too and have list length of arm of questions and i will add missed breech as so far no midwives have been able to tell what position ub is ' i think that might be a foot???' not inspiring confidence!

mawbroon Wed 29-Jun-11 09:00:29

Position of the kicks doesn't really mean much tbh.

DS1 was breech, he was stuck in my heart shaped uterus with one foot up by his ear. I was getting kicks at the top of my bump from that foot, and kicks at the bottom of the bump from the other!!

I could easily identify his head because if I pushed it gently with two hands, one at the front of bump and one at the side, I could feel it kind of bobbing about, which a bum doesn't do!

WinterLover Wed 29-Jun-11 12:03:10

Ive got this problem at the moment, 33 weeks. MW still cant figure it out so they will check at my 36w appointment and then refer me for a scan to be sure... all I got was 'I think thats its bum' fills you with great confidence.

buttonmoon78 Wed 29-Jun-11 21:16:20

grin

Woke up this morning and said to DH 'baby feels different'. Got to the scan, saw the most grumpy sonographer you've ever seen, baby is head down, well down in pelvis, LOA.

Was totally shock

Then went in to see the most lovely registrar who had also had an OP baby and spd so totally understood my 'issues' and am booked in for induction on July 15th. That is 16 days away!

Can't stop grin

Also, will be seeing anaethetist on arrival for induction to ensure that I can get epi set up immediately even if I never use it.

grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: