Talk

Advanced search

Empty Sac

(46 Posts)
cathpalmer Mon 27-Jun-11 17:45:08

Hi Everyone

Going out of my mind.

Found out I'm pregnant 2 weeks ago.

Since then had a little bleed of brown blood (nothing I was too worried about). I mentioned it to Doctor who recommended that I have an early scan to check that all is ok.
According to LMP I am 7weeks 2 days pregnant, however, my cycle has been very erratic over last few months and has ranged between 33 and 42 days.

At my scan today they could see the gestational sac but nothing inside it. I don't understand the measurements but it said it was 7.2mm. They cannot confirm if the pregnancy is viable and want me to come back in 10 days for another scan to see if baby can be seen,
It also says on the form that I have a tilted womb.
They said that my irregular cycle may mean that I have ovulated later and therefore I am not as far along as I thought.

This also happened with DS 4 years ago. But that time it was different - I went for a scan at only 5 weeks so, obviously not much to see. This time I'm supposed to be further along.

I've done lots of research on internet today and scared myself - seeing things like blighted ovum and missed miscarriage. So worried....

Also I did a Clear Blue Conception indicator test today too, and it said 3+ weeks meaning I am over 5 weeks pregnant.

I don't know what to make of all this. what do you think?

HRHMJOFMAGICJAMALAND Mon 27-Jun-11 17:48:01

Message withdrawn

cathpalmer Mon 27-Jun-11 18:17:00

hopefully?.....

HRHMJOFMAGICJAMALAND Mon 27-Jun-11 18:32:19

Message withdrawn

PoppysMom Tue 28-Jun-11 03:50:38

For my scan at 5 weeks there was nothing visible at all. Just an empty uterus, which was enlarged.

I have a tilted uterus too and it can be hard seeing in that case.

I went back 2 weeks later with very wobbly knees as I was terrified I had had blighted ovum, or MMC.

The moment the scan started there was a little blob visible with a tiny flickering HB. I was so relieved that I broke down in tears.

Anyway, I measured 6 days behind, so was told I was only 6+1 instead of 7+0.
At my NT scan baby had caught up a little and at 15 weeks she measured spot on 15 weeks smile

Keeping my fingers crossed for you for the same outcome smile

cathpalmer Tue 28-Jun-11 07:26:51

Thank you so much for that hopeful news!!!!
I'm really crossing my fingers....

willitbe Tue 28-Jun-11 11:06:48

With my dd, I had a scan at 7w3d and they could see nothing but the sac, this is not unusual for me, again I have a tilted uterus, and it is common to measure two weeks behind initially. Like the previous poster, when I went back later she was measuring exactly correct for dates. Early scans are not to be trusted. I have one this coming friday when I will be 7 weeks, and I will be extremely surprised if they see anything other than the sac!

Also with your longer cycles you probrably concieved later, which would again explain why you would not be measuring correct for dates. So it is a waiting game for you to see if the dates catch up or if they will move your due date. Hope it all goes well with the next scan, try to relax in the meantime (not easy I know) but for now you are pregnant!

NorthLondonDoulas Wed 29-Jun-11 00:30:22

Similar story here too... I went for an early scan supposidly being about 6 and a half weeks pregnant. All that could be seen was an empty gestational sack measuring that of a 5 and a half week pregnancy and was asked to go back 10 days later as it is quite common not to see a fetal pole at this stage (so we went back last wednesday) again it appeared that the sack was still empty but due to my Hcg levels still rising they called for the head sonographer to come and have a look. Well he spent A VERY LONG TIME giving me an internal scan and after a good 15 mins later he informed me that i have an unusual shapped gestational sac and on what looked like the outside of the sac was a fetus. He thinks that the baby has tucked its self right into the corner of the sac (so much so that it looks like its not even in the sac) but it was so hard to see or measure as it blended in so well to the rest of the grey pixels on the ultrasound - he commented that 95% of sonographers would have missed it. And we have been rebooked for another scan next wednesday to hopefully see things more clearly. So dont dispare just yet.... good luck and keep us informed.x

cathpalmer Wed 29-Jun-11 09:45:06

gosh, some really interesting stories. NorthLondonDoulas - i don't know how you've stayed sane!!!
I haven't had any bloods done yet so don't know what my HCG levels are doing.
This week i've been feeling incredibly hungry and have sore boobs but no sickness and not a lot of tiredness - is that normal or should i be feeling awful by now?

babyonbord Wed 29-Jun-11 10:18:36

I had a scan done at 6 4 days as i had bleeding and they did find a heartbeat but that might just be me

rosalina72 Wed 29-Jun-11 10:25:44

Same thing happened to me yesterday (6wk+6d). I went for a scan and they could see the sac but no yolk and no fetal parts. I'm very upset as I've had a missed miscarriage in the past so I now how devastating it could be. I don't feel very pregnant either which adds to the worry. I've had a few waves of nausea and sore breasts but with my DS I was sick as a dog by now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of us cathpalmer!! Maybe it was just too early to see a baby on the scan and we'll see baby & HB in a couple of weeks.

NorthLondonDoulas Wed 29-Jun-11 13:42:53

I dont know how ive stayed sane either lol... its made worse by the fact that hubby doesnt want the baby as we already have our 4 lovely girls, we live in just a 2 bedroon house and cant afford to move or have another bubba but ive been through so much already with this pregnancy i want to have the baby dont know how things are going to pan out :0(

Its totally normal not to feel sick at this stage, some women are lucky enough not to experience it at all. I have also seen a pattern in friends and clients over the years that generally women are far more nauseous if they are carrying a girl - so you never know could be a boy!

I have had 2 miscarriages in the past so have been lucky enough to have early scans in all of my pregnancies and i have always been able to see fetal pole and heart beat from 5/6 weeks, i guess its just different this time. Still in the dark until next wednesday.

Good luck to all you ladies, i shall keep my fingers crossed for happy & healthy pregnancies for you all.x

cathpalmer Wed 29-Jun-11 19:24:50

Good luck to everyone.
My scan in on Thursday 9th July.
Let me know outcome of all of yours!...
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

PrincessScrumpy Wed 29-Jun-11 19:34:23

I had a scan at 6w - empty sac and told probably not viable. A week later we were told (and could see) two blobs with strong hbs (yep, went from no baby to two). I'm now 28w with ID twin girls.

I hope it works out for you - not necessarily twins but one healthy baby. smile

rosalina72 Fri 01-Jul-11 16:05:57

Had a second lot of Hcg bloods done yesterday. The first result was a very encouraging 10000 but the second lot was only 12000 (48 hours later). Apparently they are supposed to double. Anyway I was told by the nurse I was probably miscarrying. Very discouraging news. I've got a scan booked for the 8th July to confirm.

NorthLondonDoulas Fri 01-Jul-11 16:15:41

rosalina if you are currently not showing any signs of a miscarriage, please try to stay as positive as possible until you know anything for sure... I have had some very dodgy Hcg results and then it turned out that mine double every 67 hours (approx) and x2 ultrasounds where they didnt think they could see anything other than an empty gestational sac and then it took one of the head sonographers to discover something (my baby is crouched in the corner of the gestational sac which is apparently an abnormal shape - it is so far over that it was incredibly hard to see and looks like its on the outside of the sac), so dont give up just yet.x

rosalina72 Fri 01-Jul-11 17:04:34

It's hard to stay positive when the health professionals are so blunt. But you're right, I've got no bleeding or cramping so that should count for something. Also I keep thinking that the bloods did at least go up. The sonographer was also a student so I'm thinking 'inexperienced'? There's loads of factors that could mean there's still hope for my lil bean. Thanks NorthLondonDoulas, for reminding me to stay positive! Hope it all works out for you too!

willitbe Fri 01-Jul-11 18:04:37

Well having come to try to reassure you a few days back, I am here to confirm that at 7 weeks 0 days, yep they could only see the sac. Well first scan done by a doctor couldn't see anything at all in my uterus!!!! So I requested to be scanned by a proper sonographer, who found the sac in the uterus where it should be. Bit it is only measuring 5weeks1day, two weeks behind as usual. I am trying to keep my positivity as it did happen with my dd too, but I have since her had several m/c's where they all measured 2 weeks behind too...... arrggg, the frustration of it all.

I have to go back in 10 days to be scanned again. I have found that until I get a bit further on in my pregnancies the dates are a bit out, I went back with my dd after 11 days (eg at 9 weeks) and by then she was measuring exactly correct for dates (eg "caught up" in size) whereas my m/c's followed exactly correct growth in number of days, (eg still did not catch up to match my actual dates) or did not grow properly anyway. So my scan in 10 days time, should hopefully give me a better idea of if this pregnancy is viable or not.

I hate being in this limbo time as I am sure you both do too.

NorthLondonDoulas Fri 01-Jul-11 18:21:18

Your very welcome! and thank you.x.x

At one point i was told i was 5 and a half weeks pregnant for about 3 weeks lol, every person i have seen has had a different view/opinion on what was going on and all bar the last have been wrong!

There are many reasons you may of had an empty sac at your last scan such as having a tilted uterus, having an unusual shapped gestational sac, being earlier along than you thought (pregnancy dates go from the date of your last period but that doent necissarily mean you ovulated on time and also sperm can live in the body for up to 5 days so conception could have happened nearer the next time of your next period - so you could be 2/3 weeks out). Having a fetus 'crouched in the corner' like they are suggesting is my situation.

The head guy i saw last week told me to ignore all the Hcg levels that i origionally had as they vary so much from person to person and pregnancy to pregnancy that they are only a rough guide. For example here is what hcg levels can be between at 6 weeks LMP: 1,080 - 56,500 mIU/ml so as you can see they vary so much!

Just dont give up.x

PrincessScrumpy Fri 01-Jul-11 18:21:58

If it's any concelation, my levels didn't double and increase wasn't what they'd have liked - this is apparently unusual in pg, especially with twins when it should more than double. Oh well, guess I proved them wrong.

It'll be a long week but I hope you're celebrating next week. Take care x

cathpalmer Wed 06-Jul-11 11:15:27

The Scan is tmw! I'm thinking of you all!! Will let you know the outcome!
Still so stressed but no bleeding or anything so trying to think positive!

KaraJS Wed 06-Jul-11 12:09:26

With my last pg they put my date back two weeks, I knew that this wasn't right but went with it, 14 week scan baby was still measuring right by their dates but by 22 weeks baby measured just under 24 weeks by this point they wouldn't change the dates, when waters broke at 31+ 2 weeks scan measured 33 + 6, after he was born at 32 weeks neonatal noticed he was feeding and keeping his temp better that 32 week babies usually do so the pediatrition did observational tests on him and came to conclusion he was 2 weeks further along than the dates! Think this shows scans even up to20 weeks can be wrong, babies seem to grow at their own pace in the beginning! Hope all goes well for you

NorthLondonDoulas Wed 06-Jul-11 13:54:55

thats it cath... stay positive - good luck tomorrow and we shall await your update. Mine is at 4pm today so will come back and let you know later.x

LDNmummy Wed 06-Jul-11 14:00:17

Have nothing to add except to wish you all the best, will have fingers and toes crossed. x

rosalina72 Wed 06-Jul-11 14:05:49

Good luck with your scans cathpalmer and northlondondoulas. My scan is on Friday. I'm a nervous wreck! Hope it's good news for all of us!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now