Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Siblings wedding 3wks after due date....help!

(20 Posts)
SeptMummy Mon 27-Jun-11 16:37:47

My brothers wedding is 3wks after my due date, I know it's going to be tight but what can I expect? This is my first baby and I know there can be a tendancy for 1st ones to be late.... had 28wk midwife appointment today and all 'looking' on track for said due date....
Unfortunately there is no going back on his wedding date as the desired venue only has that date or it's not until next year....

PamBeesly Mon 27-Jun-11 17:10:48

Hi Septmummy...there is nothing you can do, hopefully little bub will be here on time and you can go to the wedding, if not your brother will/should understand 100% you can't schedule nature...maybe you can bea help to him in the run up to it? Participate in an other way just in case? My sil in the Netherlands had her baby the day of her sisters wedding...it was actually quite a lovely day of celebration.

PenguinArmy Mon 27-Jun-11 17:26:00

My worry is what to wear. You'll most likely still need maternity clothes at that point and also you might not want to commit to being for there for most of it, especially if baby is late. Took me about 3-4 weeks to be able to walk at normal speed. Will your brother understand if after the ceremony you leave even if it means a meal will go to waste? Is there enough of a gap between the two to go and have a nap? Will you have DP/DH on hand to help out, take baby out if it's crying?

What about feeding? Regardless of method if you're taking the baby you'll either need a feeding friendly outfit or think about the logistics of bottles and food etc?

Playdohinthewashingmachine Mon 27-Jun-11 17:28:26

Dh's sister's wedding was 2 weeks after my due date with my first. I spent the whole pg reminding dh that I might be 2 weeks late, and if so, he wasn't going to the wedding.

As it was I was 10 days early (good) and had a cs (bad) and dd wasn't well and needed to be in hospital for a week (bad).

Fool that I was, we travelled to the wedding with our not-quite-4-week-old and I struggled through all the required family stuff. I have almost no memories of the event, I think I was sleepwalking. I think I should have just gone to the wedding service and then hidden in our hotel room. And let dh take dd and parade her round a bit.

You're going to have to play it by ear. Just remember that your needs are as important as anyone else's!

HRHMJOFMAGICJAMALAND Mon 27-Jun-11 17:50:58

Message withdrawn

chocolatehobnobs Mon 27-Jun-11 19:03:41

I'm planning on going to a good friends wedding 4 weeks after due date. It's a four hour journey but near Mum's house. I'm just going to play it by ear, take it easy and go to as much as I can manage. Looking forward to introducing the baby to all my family and godmother etc.

HRHMJOFMAGICJAMALAND Mon 27-Jun-11 19:07:16

Message withdrawn

HRHMJOFMAGICJAMALAND Mon 27-Jun-11 19:07:49

Message withdrawn

Lynzilove Mon 27-Jun-11 19:10:09

We're in the same position. Best friends wedding 4 weeks after due date. Just gonna play it by ear. We're planning on going to as much as we can manage. It's not ideal as we can't currently afford a hotel (which is next door) which would have been ideal, but shit happens, so we'll see!

scarlettsmummy2 Mon 27-Jun-11 19:17:51

I haven't read all the threads but I would advise you not to panic. There is a very good chance you will be absolutely fine after the birth. Even if you go a week over that still gives you two weeks to recover, and the bleeding etc should have stopped by then and most stitches will heal up in a week to ten days.

I also wouldn't panic too much about what you are going to wear, it will be late summer so fine for floaty dresses, and you may not to be in maternity clothes- I wasn't. I know I was very lucky, but apart from a very wobbly belly, I was only one dress size bigger than pre pregnancy a couple of weeks after the birth.

You will be fine!

posterofagirl Mon 27-Jun-11 19:39:56

My waters broke on the morning of my DH's brothers wedding. 2 weeks after EDD sad
That's just the way it goes sometimes so prepare yourself for it as well as you can.

LunaticFringe Mon 27-Jun-11 20:47:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

clutteredup Mon 27-Jun-11 20:55:54

We went to a wedding with DS 4 weeks old and apart from not realising how quickly the champagne would go to my head it was fine - DS went to sleep for some of it, new borns do.
Went to another wedding where brides brother couldn't be there due to new baby and her bridesmaid held the mobile through the whole ceremony so he could hear and 'be there'.
Whatever is happening with you will be important to the whole family so if you happen to have gone into labour the morning of the wedding everyone will be on tenterhooks through the wedding and it won't spoil their day it will make it more special for them. Weddings and births are all family things so everyone around will be excited / supportive whatever happens. But don't stress wear something that you're comfortable in, no one will mind.

wigglesrock Mon 27-Jun-11 20:57:01

My sister got married 6 weeks after my baby was born, she moved the date up, grr, but that's another bubbling pot of resentment story. We stayed the night in the hotel where she had the reception, even though home was about 25 mins away, we have 2 other dds and it was handier. Baby was fine, slept through all of it, all day and evening, although wedding ceremony was late afternoon. I left my dress shopping until very last minute and was able to get a dress in pre-pregnancy size. I think it will all depend on how you are feeding the baby and how overdue, if at all you go. The major plus point was that we got some great photos of her and other family members etc all done by the photographer, mind you I'm a bit shallow grin

Play it by ear, you'll be fine and everyone will understand whatever you decide to do. Bring a comfier change of outfit for later in the day, if you do make it. Good luck and please don't worry about it, this is the one time when it is all about you grin

SerenaJoy Mon 27-Jun-11 21:38:46

I'm in a similar situation, although less pressure for me, as it's a close friend's wedding, rather than a sibling, and it's just under 4 weeks from now. But I've not had the baby yet! 40+9 today.

Friend has kindly told me that even if we end up leaving early (or not going at all) not to worry about it. So we're just hoping the baby's a sleeper, and I don't end up needing a section! Not a CLUE what I'll wear though, as will hopefully be breastfeeding.

golemmings Tue 28-Jun-11 15:42:13

I was bridesmaid for a friend 3 weeks after EDD. Had choice of what to wear and was only bridesmaid which made life easier. DD was 5 days late but it was lovely being able to take her. Bride and groom had alerted the hotel and checked there was somewhere a little out of the way where I could feed her too.

If you know other people at the wedding its probably easier in terms of passing the baby about. Although I had known the bride for 17 years and the groom for 11 years there were only a couple of their friends we'd met once before and didn't know the family of either so if we wanted to dance we just abandoned DD in her car seat on a table by the dance floor and asked somebody to watch her (on the assumption that friends of civilized friends are likely to be civilized).

In terms of frock, I wore a simple wrap dress so it would go over boobs and belly no matter what size they were. It was great apart from trying to breast feed in it because the whole thing came loose. I did figure that I could feed standing up so I could hear the speeches and I was happily lurking at the back of the crowd, dd happily latched on with my dress mostly unwrapped when the groom called for a toast to the bridesmaid...

Having recently had a baby I didn't really have any dignity left and nobody else seemed bothered by it so we got away with it!

nannyl Tue 28-Jun-11 16:01:03

You can just hope i think

Both me and OH have cousins getting married (4 and 5 hours drive away respectively) 5 days after my due date.

We have declined the invitations sad

dairyleadunker Tue 28-Jun-11 21:14:58

Hi if your anything like me don't plan too much now focus on your little ones arrival and enjoying your last few pregnant weeks without stressin over friends wedding they will understand If a good friend. 4 weeks after ds 1 I felt great and Would have been comfortable with his feeds / sleepto take him out however with dd2 I wasnt even up to going for a walk let alone dressing up for a wedding or wanting to take her out all day. Either way do what is best for you and your baby it could be a couple of hours , the whole day or you may feel like giving it a mess you will know when baby is here x

SeptMummy Wed 29-Jun-11 20:37:13

Thank you everyone, as most of you say, I'll play it by ear, hoping bubs will be ontime but if not should definitely be here a week before the wedding! Luckily the wedding is v.close to my parents and DH is very hands-on so fingers crossed all will be fine smile
My brother has also said I can use 'their' room at the reception to feed etc if need be.... so Think I was just worrying the other night....

GroovyRach Wed 29-Jun-11 21:41:03

im due the day after my brothers wedding confused. really really hoping i go a week or two early. will have family from all over the world coming to wedding so would be lovely if they could all meet baby while they are over. from about 38 weeks, i'll be trying every trick in the book to get labour started!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now