Talk

Advanced search

Left leg pain - anyone had this?

(9 Posts)
Cherrybug Mon 27-Jun-11 16:12:12

Hi, I'm in a lot of pain in the front of my left thigh. It came on on Saturday morning when I was lying in bed and has stayed the same since. Its a deep ache in the front of my thigh down to my knee. I'm fairly sure it isnt sciatica because it isnt shooting pain and isnt more painful when walking. If anything it hurts more when I'm sitting or lying down.

Anyone had this in pregnancy (I'm 21 weeks). I'm scared it's something serious and do intend to go to see GP but wondered if anyone had any ideas about what it might be. The pain wakes me up at night and it's really getting me down. I've tried hot baths and gentle massage but neither make any difference.

I also have a horrible toothache problem but thats another thread. Suffice to say I'm feeling really down, worried and sorry for myself.

babyonbord Mon 27-Jun-11 16:54:33

i would get to a and e i had that sort of pain in my first pg and it turned out to be a dvt i wouldn't wait to see your gp

Cherrybug Mon 27-Jun-11 17:16:51

I'm really scared now. Babyonboard was that pain in your thigh? I thought DVT was more likley in the calf of your leg. Did you have any other symptoms - swelling, redness? I have no swelling or redness just the aching pain. I can go to my GP first thing tomorrow morning to their open surgery clinic. It would be hard for me to go to A&E as I have to pick up my DD now. I'm really worried now, no else had anything like this?

Cherrybug Mon 27-Jun-11 19:57:03

bump

Kitty5824 Mon 27-Jun-11 20:50:59

I've had intermitant numbness/pins and needles/shooting pains in my left thigh since about 6 weeks (I'm 14 weeks now). I've spoken to my GP and midwife about it, and after ruling out shingles (no rash) have been told it was likely to be either the nerve to that area which runs across the groin being pinched, or the hormone changes affecting the ligament.

It was a lot worse this weekend (I was at Glastonbury so prob just because I was more active than usual). I don't think you need to panic if you've no other symptoms but speak to your midwife or GP for reassurance!

giraffemummy Mon 27-Jun-11 21:02:56

Cherrybug I used to get a a`in identical to the one you describe in the second half of my cycle. I mentioned it to a gynaecologist when we were trying for DC2 (now 31 weeks pregnant) and she didn't really have an answer. Being a doc myself did a bit of reading and it is likely that the pain is in the distribution of the obturator nerve and it's just to do with my anatomy.
I get this pain on and off since I've been pregnant.
DVT can present in a variety of ways. It can be excluded very easily with an ultrasound. It is highly unlikely that this scan would happen tonight. Where I work you would be asked to return to the hospital for a scan tomorrow.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

Cherrybug Tue 28-Jun-11 11:21:32

Back from GP and he doesnt think it is DVT so thats a big relief. He didnt really know what was causing it but suggested perhaps referred lower back pain where a nerve was being pressed/irritated.
So, no further forward in it getting better but at least can rule out anything serious. Thanks for your replies.

babyonbord Thu 30-Jun-11 13:42:28

glad it wasn't a dvt its normally in your calf but i managed to get one in my pelvis.

Bramshott Thu 30-Jun-11 13:55:34

The pelvis is the most common site for DVTs in pregnancy babyonbord - I think as the uterus presses on the arteries there.

Glad you are reassured for now Cherrybug, but if the pain seems to be getting worse rather than better do go back to your GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now