Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dummies whilst breast feeding, advice please

(7 Posts)
moregranny Mon 27-Jun-11 12:16:16

Have any of you given newborns a dummy and also breastfed, my grandaughter is 1 week old today, born by emsc and my daughter has managed about 8 hours sleep since the birth, the midwife said to only give a dummy after 1 month.

harecare Mon 27-Jun-11 12:20:29

Congratulations!!! I never used a dummy and BF. My friend swears by dummies, but only after a month with all 3 of her DCs. Can you take DGC out for a walk so DD can get a bit of sleep?

moregranny Mon 27-Jun-11 12:23:21

Thank you and yes I am going round this afternoon, I fear I am going to have to kidnap her though, DD is a bit worried about letting her out of her sight smile

fatbottomgirl Mon 27-Jun-11 12:26:10

I used Dummy's with all 3 of mine from birth (maybe a lasted a week without one!!) I exclusively breastfeed all 3 of them without much of a problem and felt I knew when they were hungry rather than looking for comfort. I swear by them much to the midwifes disapproval but they work for me wink.

Oh yeah and was with my friend yesterday who has a 5 week old and has used a dummy from a week after birth and is EBF and she has no problems what so ever.
Good luck

cedar12 Mon 27-Jun-11 12:28:16

I breast fed and used a dummy no problems.

All three of mine had dummies within a couple of days. I had no problems BFing any of them (all fed past 6 months, DD until 2yrs) I didn't even know you weren't supposed to until I got told off by a locum MW visiting DD after the birth and as she was my third I felt quite justified in ignoring her grin

moregranny Mon 27-Jun-11 12:30:46

Thank you , x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now