Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Dummies whilst breast feeding, advice please

(7 Posts)
moregranny Mon 27-Jun-11 12:16:16

Have any of you given newborns a dummy and also breastfed, my grandaughter is 1 week old today, born by emsc and my daughter has managed about 8 hours sleep since the birth, the midwife said to only give a dummy after 1 month.

harecare Mon 27-Jun-11 12:20:29

Congratulations!!! I never used a dummy and BF. My friend swears by dummies, but only after a month with all 3 of her DCs. Can you take DGC out for a walk so DD can get a bit of sleep?

moregranny Mon 27-Jun-11 12:23:21

Thank you and yes I am going round this afternoon, I fear I am going to have to kidnap her though, DD is a bit worried about letting her out of her sight smile

fatbottomgirl Mon 27-Jun-11 12:26:10

I used Dummy's with all 3 of mine from birth (maybe a lasted a week without one!!) I exclusively breastfeed all 3 of them without much of a problem and felt I knew when they were hungry rather than looking for comfort. I swear by them much to the midwifes disapproval but they work for me wink.

Oh yeah and was with my friend yesterday who has a 5 week old and has used a dummy from a week after birth and is EBF and she has no problems what so ever.
Good luck

cedar12 Mon 27-Jun-11 12:28:16

I breast fed and used a dummy no problems.

All three of mine had dummies within a couple of days. I had no problems BFing any of them (all fed past 6 months, DD until 2yrs) I didn't even know you weren't supposed to until I got told off by a locum MW visiting DD after the birth and as she was my third I felt quite justified in ignoring her grin

moregranny Mon 27-Jun-11 12:30:46

Thank you , x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: