Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So sick of hyperemesis hell

(22 Posts)
nina79 Sun 26-Jun-11 12:22:53

I know how there are other threads about hyperemesis but I needed my own rant. 13 weeks pregnant and not a single sign that things might even be getting a tiny bit better. It's really starting to get to me now and effect everything in my life I just can't handle being and feeling sick 24 hours a day every day anymore. Been hospitalised several times on fluids and antisickness injections but as soon as I get home none of the medications work. I try my best to force myself to eat and drink little bits and all the things people advise but its hell and I throw it up anyway. Even the thought of putting something near my mouth makes me sick. I can just about suck ice without gagging. Lost a stone since I found out I was pregnant. Forcing myself to go into work each day to try to keep myself going but each day feels like a year. Strain on my relationship - even though he is trying to help. I feel so bad sometimes I can't even bear him being near me. Find it hard to do even the most basic tasks at home and can't bear going out anywhere. Feel disgusting. I was so happy about being pregnant and want a baby so much but I just can't believe this is happening to me. People keep telling me to eat this and try that but NOTHING seems to work. People keep telling me it will go soon but each day feels longer and longer. if this goes on for 9 months I dont know how I will cope, I have to look for a new house and move and get everything organised and right now I can just about get myself dressed in the morning. I am getting really depressed about this now. Why is this happening to me?

Macaroona Sun 26-Jun-11 12:26:14

Big hugs. I have been in the same boat and can identify with everything you're saying. The lack of understanding from people around me made it really hard too - if one more person said 'have you tried ginger biscuits?' I would have knocked them out!

Are you taking anything? I have a cocktail of cyclizine and clopromerazine which seems to have settled things down (week 15) and am ridiculously drowsy but at least only vomiting once or twice a day now and went back to work.

Massive hugs. It's a horrible, horrible time.

nina79 Sun 26-Jun-11 12:30:50

Hi

Tried cyclizine and stemetil tablets and cyclizine suppositories. But none of them have worked. I know what you mean about ginger biscuits and all the other things that just don't work!!! I have stayed out of hospital this week by literally sipping a drip of water every ten seconds to try to stimulate the drip - silly I know! If I get worse over the next few days I will have to go back into hospital though. Thanks for replying I appreciate the support

Macaroona Sun 26-Jun-11 12:48:52

Do post on the long thread - I know it's weird posting on such a long thread, but I did and immediately got about 12 replies, all really helpful and supportive. Good luck, and although it's annoying when everyone says it's a good sign, it's true! Hyperemesis means miscarrying is really unlikely smile

You'll make it xx

roz1982 Sun 26-Jun-11 13:31:41

Oh I just had to say How bloody awful for you!!! I've been quite sick with 1st pregnancy but NOTHING compared to this - the thing with vomiting to that extent is that all the 'remedies' that can help with normal nausea and M.S just don't work! There's very little you can do. I've had some pretty bad vomiting sometimes all day sometimes not even keeping fluids down, but again, nothing as horrendous and relentless as this. Your partner MUST keep helping and being understanding, becasue no matter how hard he is finding it, its a bloody million times worse for you! I really hope you feel better soon - Im almost 20 weeks and have had 3 weeks clear with no vomiting! it will surely get better - and they do say 'difficult pregnancy. easy birth' lets hope thats true! smile

RickGhastley Sun 26-Jun-11 13:43:30

Hi Nina,

You sound in a bad way, I hope he sickness eases off for you soon. I remember waking up at exactly 3 months pg and sobbing because everyone had told me that the sickness eases off at 3 months - and mine did not!

Mine did ease off around 14 weeks and disappeared completely at 16/17 weeks. Birth was a piece of cake in comparison!

Why don't you get yourself signed off. it sounds like you're in no state to be trying to work. Because it's maternity related sickness, your employer cannot count the absence towards any sort of warnings or discips (I am a HR manager so know about this sort of stuff!). I used to find that I felt a bit better if I slept and rested.

Also go back to your GP, there are other drugs that you could try. My sis had severe hyperemesis and tried about 5 drugs till she found one that helped. You may have to push for this as some of the drugs are expensive and some Drs seem to think that "it's just morning sickness" so you should put up with it.

I hope things ease off soon xx

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 26-Jun-11 13:47:04

Wouldn't you actually be better off in hospital?

roz1982 Sun 26-Jun-11 13:48:19

I agree with rickghastly, get signed off. you cant work when you're so ill.

gomummygo Sun 26-Jun-11 13:53:13

I remember this all too well, just wanted to come on and send you some support as it is so very difficult.

Unfortunately for me the medications did not help and I vomited right up to (and during) labour (sorry if TMI), but met a couple of people for whom it improved quite a lot between 16-20 weeks. <hopeful for you>

Doing very little, when possible, helps. A v. supportive partner helps too, even if it's just someone to listen to you rant when you want to smack the next person who tells you to try ginger!

Good luck.

Caronline Sun 26-Jun-11 15:22:51

Good luck Nina I really hope it improves for you. I was exactly the same but 17+3 now and had no sickness for 3 weeks. I know it doesn't feel like it but it won't be forever and you will get through it. I don't think any who hasn't gone through it could ever understand just how miserable it makes you feel, keep talking though and font bottle up how you're feeling. smile x

nina79 Sun 26-Jun-11 15:59:51

Thank you for all your help and support you are very kind, each day at a time eh!

Squiglettsmummy2bx Sun 26-Jun-11 16:06:36

Really feel for you as I'm just feeling sick all day & night & I'm finding that really difficult so can't imagine how you are feeling. hope it comes to an end soon xxx

babyicebean Sun 26-Jun-11 16:24:03

Ask them to try other drugs - HG is evil and it got progressivly worse with each baby I had, with the last I ended up on ondansetron which is about the strongest you can get as they use it if you are on chemo and it takes a lot of to'ing and fro'ing to get them to prescribe it for you.

Have had
cyclazine
stemiltil
buccastem
maxolon
motilium
ondansetron

fantagrape Sun 26-Jun-11 16:33:10

I've no advice or anything to add really, just wanted to say that what you are going through sounds awful. I hope it gets better for you very soon.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sun 26-Jun-11 17:41:12

Nina - I am from the long HG thread smile Feel free to PM me if you want some support or advice, without having to come over to the support thread.

Get yourself signed off from work immediately. Rest is the most important thing you need right now. The lack of rest from you pushing yourself to work is counteracting the meds.

HG is truly awful and I feel for you. I was one of the lucky ones and mine had worn off by 19 weeks although I was hospitalised at 7 weeks. It is the best place to be because you are resting. As soon as you come home you try and do things and knock yourself back down again. Even the simplest of tasks like taking a shower or washing some dishes is like climbing a mountain.

This WILL get better but you need to rest my love smile

theonlyhb2 Sun 26-Jun-11 18:07:47

nina, what are you doing working you nutter!!! no wonder you aren't getting any better. get signed off work and give in to sleep. its the only thing that will help you feel better xx

nannyl Sun 26-Jun-11 18:47:24

sending you hugs

You are me 16 weeks ago. Yes its hell on earth and unless you have been there you dont know how bad it is sad
You are doing to get dressed (i normally failed) I did well to make it downstairs (in dressing gown)

Couldnt bear OH near me, he had to sleep in spare room.... just him turning over would make me sick.

BUT i got a teeniest tiniest improvement at 14 weeks, (so hopefully you might too), and improved a bit more around 16 weeks, and was alot better than i had been from 18 weeks.

Im now 29 weeks, and am still being sick, and still need my tablets.... but since weeks 18 / 20ish ive started to FEEL better, and im rarely sick more than once a day anymore, so its so much more manageable.
I have also had some consecutive days NOT being sick at all, occasionaly 3 or 4 days in a row smile

Having HG is horrendous (and i only ended up in hospital the once).... but i really really hope you start seeing small imorovements quite soon, just like i did.

And yes stay in bed smile. I spend 2 months basically only in bed (or ensuite being sick) as moving out of bed was just too much effort

Oh also i had accupuncture from 8 - 18 weeks. It helped SLIGHTLY (giving me a few hours relief) but after a few weeks i got semi permenant needle plasters which helped me too and reduced my sickness a bit as well.
(and when you have HG a few hours of even slight relief IS worth it!)

hollypocks Sun 26-Jun-11 22:15:16

Ondansetron is the only medication that worked for me but it is expensive and your GP might hesitate, but really insist! I could work with this. Otherwise at 26 weeks I started to feel better, it probably feels an eternity away but you will get through hiw horrid time, best ox luck smile

LucindaE Sat 23-Jul-11 18:02:19

Nina I have only just come across this - poor you - I am coming on to ask if you are any better (I'm from that long thread about Hypemesis). Please do feel free to come on to moan all you like if you still feel really ill and down.
LucindaE
xx

LadyOfTheManor Sat 23-Jul-11 18:46:42

Oh dear sad Mine has stopped in the past 2 weeks (currently 21+ weeks). Didn't have it with my first. I sympathise with you, but that won' t make you feel better...still Fanta or Dr Pepper doesn't always work. I stayed in hospital for almost 3 weeks.

The best thing to do is rest. Give up work and look after yourself as you can relapse if you do too much.

LucindaE Sun 24-Jul-11 17:05:43

Lady of the Manor
Three weeks in hospital?!!!shock For sure that must be a record, how truly awful...I'm glad you are a lot better now.
LucindaE
xx

LadyOfTheManor Sun 24-Jul-11 17:47:09

Yes 19 days. Nasty sad Had steroid injections and was kept on a drip..ketones were just appearing regardless sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now