Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Headaches

(14 Posts)
DarciesmumandBump2 Sun 26-Jun-11 10:46:38

I'm 14 weeks pregnant with DC2 and been suffering with really bad headaches bordering on migraine. Never had this with my first pregnancy. I'm drinking what I think is plenty of fluid and I seem to wake up with them and they don't seem to disappear sad

Any ideas was thinking of calling the MW tomorrow incase is dehydration but don't want to for something that is silly tbh. Thanks

Sargesaweyes Sun 26-Jun-11 10:55:24

I have never suffered with headaches until I got pregnant. I had them up 2 16 weeks ish and am afraid they have come back at 30 weeks. Am 32 weeks now and had 2 get signed off for 2 weeks partly due 2 them. As long as your blood pressure/urine is ok it will prob be put down 2 hormones/lack of sleep/ tension due to posture/ increase of blood circulating around the body. Massive sympathy! It has been my worst symptom by far.

H007 Sun 26-Jun-11 10:57:30

I have this... I went to bed last night with a headache and woke up this morning with a headache, I drank about 6 pints of fluid yesterday. I spoke to my MW regarding it she seems to think it's quite normal for some people and it's just caused by hormones. My bp is really low so no worries there, I'm 19 weeks and have been having these since about 10 weeks. They do seem worse when tired.

DarciesmumandBump2 Sun 26-Jun-11 11:10:55

Hormones I think is one factor but I'm drinking enough and DP is making sure of that too! Do I need to spk to MW?

Sargesaweyes Sun 26-Jun-11 11:50:10

I spoke to mine when it started and she came out and did a urine check and bp check. Reassured me that it was normal. If you haven't got an appointment soon phone her. Also I have taken paracetamol if it's got really bad as it is the only painkiller you can take. Invested in a 4 head stick and migraine strips which also help take the edge off.

DarciesmumandBump2 Sun 26-Jun-11 12:57:59

Got my next ante natal appt 6th July. Can you use the 4head stick and those migraine strip things in pregnancy?

DarciesmumandBump2 Sun 26-Jun-11 12:58:23

Do they work?

roz1982 Sun 26-Jun-11 13:04:15

Yes I've had dreaded headaches/migraines with pregnancy and when they come on all you can do is lie in a dark room and try to sleep - Its awful when you go to sleep with it AND wake up with it; totally relentless. I found that paracetomol rarely worked and was drinking plenty of water so wasn't dehydrated - reckon its hormones like everything else! My DH got me some of those cooling forehead strips and althought they didn't tkae it away, they were comforting and soothing - hope they go away soon! x

DarciesmumandBump2 Sun 26-Jun-11 13:09:03

Thanks Roz - might invest in some and talk to my MW about it on 6th July

mopsytop Sun 26-Jun-11 18:36:54

hi Darcies

have been suffering from terrible headaches and also migraines for weeks, so I really sympathise. I am on constant anti-migraine medication normally, which I had to go off when pregnant, so for me it's not just being pregnant that is causing it, although I am sure it doesn't help. Unfortunately for a bad head, 4Head does absolutely nothing, and nor does paracetamol for me. I expect if you have some mild headaches 4Head might help but when they are bad it does nothing for me. It might be different for other people. I have no helpful advice I am afraid. The only thing I can do is lie in a cool room, quite still, with a cold damp cloth on my head/towel wrapped icepack at back of neck. Of course, I have to then get up to get sick, which makes the headache even worse. I wish I had better advice, as then I could also use it for myself. I started acupuncture this week, too soon to see any results but will let you know. Lots of people said it is really helpful but it's not very cheap and not on NHS sad

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon. I am praying that getting to 16 weeks will improve things, only 2 weeks to go until then... maybe will be same for you too?

mopsytop Sun 26-Jun-11 18:38:31

p.s. just ring your midwife and ask her what she thinks. I don't think you can ever be too cautious! They are used to us pregnant ladies ringing them up for advice - that's what they are there for! So ring and get the reassurance. If she thinks you need to do any tests or anything, she'll let you know!

philbee Sun 26-Jun-11 21:06:13

I agree with mopsytop. Ring your mw. In my maternity book severe headaches are one of the things to call about pronto, just in case.

philbee Sun 26-Jun-11 21:07:07

Sorry, that's the book they gave me with my notes in, not 'my book of maternity wisdom'.

DarciesmumandBump2 Mon 27-Jun-11 07:40:10

Yeah think I'll ring the MW as woke with another headache sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now