Talk

Advanced search

Travel System - buy 2nd hand or new???

(27 Posts)
CollieandPup Sat 25-Jun-11 19:07:45

Hi. Think DH have agreed on the pram/travel system we think is most suitable to our needs - Quinny Buzz 3 Tra\vel system.

We've actuallt been out today and found a good deal where the whole travel system and maxi cosi car seat is £500 (about £150 cheaper than most places).

But, having come home to mull on it i've looked on ebay and have found them 2nd hand for considerably cheaper. Generally, for the same contents they are going for about £250-£300, On average with about 9-16months use. From the pictures look in good condition, but its hard to tell.

Pros of buying new:
- We can return it if there are any problems, have a guarantee and shop offers replacemnet buggy while they try to repair.
- Its new, not worn, doesn't have another babies sick etc all over it!!
- New means less likley to break right?
- It can be returned if sadly anything was to go wrong during the pregnancy.

Pros of buying 2nd hand:
- Its half the price

I'd welcome any views/advice about buying a pram new/2nd hand?

iEmbarassedMyself Sat 25-Jun-11 19:13:41

If it's the Buzz3, then the wheel tends to stick after a few months of use - so if you can find a new wheel on ebay too then you can pop that on if it is a sticky wheel.
You can always sell it on again if something does go wrong in pregnancy, it doesn't quite mean less likely to break - actually, I'd say if it was a pram that had faulty parts then it would have already been broken and fixed/replaced after a few months of use. If you can see the prams in person then you can have a check to make sure all is well and nothing faulty/broken.

Can't think of anything else, will leave the rest for the Pro's grin

nannyl Sat 25-Jun-11 19:24:06

Id have no issue with buying the pushchair part second hand.

Most parts can be washed easily.

Personally id always always always (unless i personally knew the person selling & new they had never had an accident) buy a new car seat though.

I think that its better to buy a decent pushchair second hand, rather than a cheap pushchair new, as most cheap buggies do seem to break much more quickly. I know people with Buzz's who have issues where the air thing that makes the buggy fold unfold, sort of runs out of air so it doesnt fold and unfold as easily after a while... something to bear in mind.

Many more expensive brands will still be going strong after constant use with 2 or 3 children, where as some cheap buggies wont even last the first!

BertieBotts Sat 25-Jun-11 19:26:22

I'd get the car seat new either way. Not sure how that works out with your figures smile

Pastabee Sat 25-Jun-11 20:34:54

Am expecting my first so can't really help with your query but would you mind saying where you've seen that deal as that's the system my husband and I would like to buy.

If it helps we will buy new but my sister bought hers second hand and got a great deal on eBay and it looked to me like the previous owner had really looked after the whole lot.

allthefires Sat 25-Jun-11 20:51:29

You often get buzzs in local papers cheap too.

But I would Definately get a new car seat

mumblebum Sat 25-Jun-11 20:54:48

You should definitely buy a new car seat unless you know and trust the seller. As for the pram, after bitter experience, I'd only buy 2nd hand if you can collect in person and inspect it before you hand over the cash. Sometimes you get a well looked after bargain. Other times you get a heap of trashed junk so you need to be careful. Even 2nd hand it's a lot of money to spend if you end up with something rubbish.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 25-Jun-11 20:56:52

Knowing what I know now I'd go for 2nd hand. But agree with the others about a new car seat. That is worth spending money on.

allthefires Sat 25-Jun-11 21:39:33

You can get reasonable maxi cosi refurbished items from babyvalue on ebay.

nannyl Sat 25-Jun-11 21:56:33

personally i would never buy a reconditioned car seat....

you just never know what has happened to it!

same as i wouldn't buy a reconditioned cycle helmet!

lolajane2009 Sat 25-Jun-11 22:06:23

car seat new imo... if my in laws werent buying my pushchair it would be second hand.

allthefires Sat 25-Jun-11 22:09:48

Nannyl- they are direct from the manufacteur and go through the same safety checks. Mine was brand new with tags and dispatched by maxi cosi.

100% confident.

stressheaderic Sat 25-Jun-11 22:15:32

I would buy new, look after it, then sell it on to recoup the cost a bit in the future when you'll prob need the money more.

OrangeGloss Sun 26-Jun-11 08:10:01

Hi Collie, we bought a Quinny from a friend for £300, and that came with all of the rain shield, parasols etc and it's in perfect condition. It did include the car seat, but the only reason we're using/keeping it is because we know this couple well and trust them - otherwise we'd buy new

Have you checked it fits in your car boot? We had a Focus and had to take a wheel off to get it in. Luckily hmm we needed a new car so wasn't an issue

JoyceBarnaby Sun 26-Jun-11 08:23:05

I've recently bought a second hand Buzz on eBay to use with DD (DC2) - DS will be using a buggy board. I wish I'd done this first time round instead of wasting money on a new M&P travel system!! The Buzz is in excellent condition - we're really pleased with it. I definitely agree with others about a new car seat, though. We're using our old one, but that's 'cos it's ours. I wouldn't use a second hand one from someone else.

CollieandPup Mon 27-Jun-11 16:58:03

Thanks everyone for your comments they have been really helpful. Scarily i'd not thought about car seats having been in an accident - niavely assuming people wouldn't sell something 'dodgy' on to someone else. blush

You are right though, baring that in mind, a new car seat would be essential. Having looked over it the savings would be slightly less buying some 2nd hand and some new.

Also we do plan to have at least 2 dc - hopefully not too far apart and so having this one pram last the duration would make sense.

Money isn't a massive issue (although there is so much to buy i have expensive taste it seems) so its never not an issue either iykwim.

So, we have decided on new. Its what i would have prefered, although i felt it was hard to justify the extra spend. But i think in the long run it will pay off.

Thanks for the comments about the Qunniy too. I knew about some, but not all. Been reading up a bit more and i still really like it though. I think the only others i like that have overall better reviews are the Bugaboo Bee (not cameleon as had poor reviews) and the UppaBaby Vista, both lighter, more compact and better on rough terrain. But both also more expensive. Any views on these anyone?

KaraJS Mon 27-Jun-11 17:03:56

I bought a new britax b smart 3 wheeler with foot muff and carrycot for £200, should have been nearer £500 from shop, got it from donnington Market

pantsandpup Mon 27-Jun-11 17:05:37

Hey you, my comment on the Uppababy Vista is that I want one!! Dh went pale when I showed him the price......... Although I also have my eye on the Maxi Cosi Mura.

As this is our last baby (shoot me if I say differently at any point!) I'm seriously considering second hand. I sold dd's pram on 2nd hand when she was about 13 mths old. It was immaculate and cost me a fortune...... Every buggy I bought after that was 2nd hand, local and in good condition.

Def a new car seat though!

CollieandPup Mon 27-Jun-11 17:06:45

PS pastabee the offer is in a small local baby shop - on the manchester/oldham boarder. I can't remember what its called though but let me know if you are in this area and if so i'll check.

CollieandPup Mon 27-Jun-11 17:10:05

<waves to pants > I haven't been able t find a shop with the Vista in store, but a friend told me today there is a shop about 15 miles from me that stock it (or did 6 months ago) so i might go and look.

DH nearly passed out when i pulled the bugaboo cameleon off the stand on saturday, and i assume the bee is just as expensive!!

Daisybell1 Mon 27-Jun-11 19:35:21

Second hand here all the way. Picked it up yesterday, a nearly immaculate Herqules (no longer made) with carrycot, cosytoes, raincover: £50 from ebay. Its heavenly, I love it, and they don't make them any more.

Hopefully have also found the car seat adaptors on preloved and they're being sent over so we're nearly all set. Am grin today.

Mum2be79 Mon 27-Jun-11 20:07:24

I bought a silver cross classic linear when I was only 5weeks pregnant for £64 on ebay. We couldn't turn an offer like that down!
It's in perfect condition - only slight wear on the wheels as it had only been used for 6 months. I wasn't prepared to pay the £500+ for the pushchair and car seat. I think with a baby boom the baby market can rocket in price and take advantage of people.

Squiglettsmummy2bx Mon 27-Jun-11 20:58:43

I have my eye on loads of prams & can't decide. Love the candy & also the silver cross surf but quite like the oyster & mothercare spin! With my 1st 2 dc I had them picked out b4 I conceived but not sure this time grins I don't drive so this will b my main mode of transport, I walk most places. Hmmmmmmmm. Def gonna buy new tho coz I destroyed all my previous buggys so dread to think how quick I would ruin one that was already a bit used.

KaraJS Mon 27-Jun-11 22:03:32

They have brand new mothercare spins at donnington Market too we looked at them, there quite light weight

pantsandpup Tue 28-Jun-11 09:17:56

My sil has the Spin, and I do like it but it always seems a bit rickety, as if it's not quite clicked in place.

My friend has the Icandy Apple waiting for her lo at the end of July. It's lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now