Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone clued up on rhesus negativity and 2nd pregnancies

(12 Posts)
3Questionmarks Thu 23-Jun-11 17:54:32

...DD (my first) was Rh+; so what should I expecting this time round with anti-D doses; risks etc? I'm about 7 weeks in.

The first birth was a bit of a haze (EMCS), so I actually have no recollection of getting post-partum anti-D, and it's only really just occured to me now.

It's another couple of weeks to my booking in appointment. Is there any reason to query this before the appointment.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 23-Jun-11 17:57:16

No reason to query it now.

You will have your routine anti-d at 28 weeks. But if you have any bleeding beforehand you should contact your MW and arrange for an extra one within 24 hours of the bleed. Although, you do not need an anti-d before 12 weeks as your body would not produce the antibodies (if it were going to) until after 12 weeks. So unless you have a bleed you don't need to worry about arranging one until 28 weeks.

The guidelines have changed somewhat, and now they give a more concentrated dose at 28 weeks instead of lots of little ones throughout.

HTH.

3Questionmarks Thu 23-Jun-11 18:06:30

Hey thanks LovelyBunch, that's a big relief actually. Have had a couple of early MC's in the past year and was starting to feel a bit dubious about this issue - not really occured to be before now. Anyway, fingers crossed this one goes to plan...

PinkFondantFancy Thu 23-Jun-11 18:06:36

Just wanted to add that I'm Rh Negative and I've been told I'll have anti-D at 28 weeks and 34 weeks. They'll then test the cord blood after birth and if the baby is Rh Positive I'll give a further shot of anti-D then. Before they give you anti-D they'll test your blood for antibodies to see if you've been previously sensitised. It's worth raising with your midwife at your booking in appointment though.

QueenCee Thu 23-Jun-11 18:21:26

Hi. I don't like to disagree but I think the advice above is wrong.
I'm rh neg. I had anti D at the usual points with DD... Think this was 28 weeks and 30 something weeks. DD was also rh neg so no need to have another shot of Anti D.
If you didn't have anti D when you had DC who is rh pos... This could be a problem if during the PG or birth there was any transfer of bloods.
The result of the transfer would mean your body recognising another rh pos body and fighting against this.
It could possibly be a cause of your MC's.
Having said that... They are pretty good at remembering the anti D, so I'm sure you did have it.... But I would definately get it checked to confirm either way.
Sorry to add confusion but this was my understanding of how it works.

3Questionmarks Thu 23-Jun-11 18:27:40

Yes, that's what I was pondering, QueenCee. However, I think the only reason I'd know that DD was RH+, is if std procedure had been followed, as she's not had anything other than the routine childhood blood tests.

Might check with the GP sooner though - however, I'm sure it will take ages to get hold of old records.

feckwit Thu 23-Jun-11 18:30:53

Just to say I didn't have anti d after my 3rd who was rhesus positive but had a 4th uncomplicated pregnancy.

Cupawoman Thu 23-Jun-11 18:31:05

I'm also Rh neg and was only given shots after the birth of each child (however, my children are now 19 and 16 so things have obviously changed). Both my boys were Rh positive. My sister is also Rh neg and was also given shots after her 3 DC were born despite 2 DC also being Rh neg.

PenguinArmy Thu 23-Jun-11 18:36:28

They can test for antibodies, it might be part of the standard tests.

When I had a fall, they only gave me an extra anti-D jab after testing positive for the antibodies.

Some trusts do only give one jab during the pregnancy and then one if the baby tests +ve at birth. It's not surprising that people don't remember if they had one or not. I only clearly remember as I assumed that if I tested +ve for antibodies during the pg then DD would be +ve so therefore would need one, combined with the fact that my MW only remembered to give the regular shot because I had to remind her.

I'm in the US atm and they only give anti-D if you test positive for antibodies, it is not automatic like it is in the UK.

PenguinArmy Thu 23-Jun-11 18:37:51

to be honest, I don't really understand the argument for having the routine shots anyway as I don't think it's effective for that long so chances of needing it in that short time frame confused

3Questionmarks Thu 23-Jun-11 18:40:11

Well what a buggers muddle confused, to coin a phrase...! Thanks for the input, and reassurance that I'm not being a total flake for not remembering either way.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 23-Jun-11 19:01:48

You will be tested for antibodies routinely at your booking in appointment.

If you know your DDs blood group then this will be because it was tested at birth. My DD is negative and I didn't have anti-d post partum but I still need it during my current pregnancy.

Apparently, they are developing a test to determine baby's blood group fr4om a sample of mother's blood so they can determine idf antid is necessary or not in early pregnancy, even though it does no harm if not needed.

your MW will give you some leaflets regarding the rhneg info at your booking or 16 weeks appointment, once the booking blood results are back.

And finally, congratulations on your pregnancy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now