Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

36+3 with first DS and looking for some reassurance!

(4 Posts)
MummyTigger Thu 23-Jun-11 17:18:13

OK, saw my Midwife today. Fundal height last week: 35cm. Fundal height this week: 39cm. Cue referring me for an emergency growth scan. Eep.

I then find out that head size is average for 37+1, leg size is average for 37+4, but belly size is average for 41+3!! Baby currently weighing in at 7lb 6oz, and predicted to grow even more!

Anyone had experience of such a late growth spurt? Seeing a consultant next week who will advice me on whether I can still deliver in the birthing centre or whether I'll need to go to hospital. Found it funny at first, but now getting a bit worried if I end up carrying to 40+ and having to force out a ten-pounder!

Any advice? Opinions? Reassurance?

daniwalkes Thu 23-Jun-11 17:58:15

hello, yes i had something very similar... i was meassuring just right pretty much the whole way through until about 37 weeks and i went from being 37.5 cms to 39, then a week later i was 43cm!
Went for a scan and baby was big, he came naturally at 39 weeks and was 9lb 110z and 62cms long so really big... especially seeing as he was a week early!
try not to worry... nothing you can do about the size of the baby and you will be able deliver naturally still, i did it with no pain relief and was acutally a very quick and 'easy' labour! smile x

MummyTigger Fri 24-Jun-11 00:35:07

Phew, that's a bit more soothing. I was just worried about the toll it was going to take on me if I'm honest hmm even though it's really selfish of me!

Is it true though, that generally speaking "the bigger the baby the quicker the birth"? I've heard that bandied about but not sure if it's true or not...

pookamoo Fri 24-Jun-11 00:47:19

Hiya, I have heard that the fundal height measurements are notoriously inaccurate (my midwife told me that), and I also know of someone who delivered an 11lb plus baby on just gas and air... so it can be done! grin

I've also heard that since the head is "the difficult bit" hmm, the actual weight of the baby isn't nearly as troublesome as the size of the head, so you might be ok!

Good luck and hope it all goes well for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now