Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First trimester - anyone else can't stop eating?

(20 Posts)
BeeBread Thu 23-Jun-11 15:53:51

I am 9 weeks' pregnant with my second DC and feel as though I am enormous already.

I don't know what the actual weight gain is, as I don't have scales, but it must be a lot because my abdomen is noticably pregnant-looking and I'm eating like a pig.

I have a mild prolapse from the first labour and am conscious that the weight does me no favours in that department, but I am just ravenous particularly in the mornings. I absolutely have to have an extra meal mid-morning (sometimes two) or I drop off a cliff and feel sick, dizzy, heartburny, you name it.

Is anyone else insatiable? Does it go on beyond the first trimester?

KatyN Thu 23-Jun-11 16:45:15

I found that at the beginning as it was the only thing that stopped me feeling sick. I'm called Katy and once my boss referred to me as eaty so I guess it was pretty clear how much I was scoffing.

I would say I went back to normal after 12 weeks.. but today I caught myself in McDonalds (after having a perfectly satisfactory lunch!)

kt

ghosteditor Thu 23-Jun-11 16:53:18

beebread if it's any consolation I'm in the same sort of position. I'm 10+ weeks with DC1 and have put on 9lbs (the pg has coincided with a broken bone though so I've not being doing as much cardio as normal either) so I look and feel huge. I have had a lot of nausea but no vomiting and have been eating to avoid feeling so rough.

Don't worry too much though - am sure it will settle down soon and you can concentrate on eating healthily from now on. It will even out in the end!

BeeBread Thu 23-Jun-11 16:58:42

Really hope so ladies.

I think I may be having another boy - having savoury cravings again. Katy I would kill for a Maccie D's now you've mentioned it grin.

arista Thu 23-Jun-11 17:03:58

Unfortunately in my case I am out all foods, still about the same 46kg as I was before had a scan baby is measuring exactly for 9 weeks cannot wait for the sickness to go feel rubbish and miserable.

spatchcock Thu 23-Jun-11 17:06:37

I was exactly the same - I was starving all the time. My mum (who is a scrawny old thing) looked on disapprovingly and said I was looking 'very round'. Just ignore and keep eating - it's what your baby wants!

Definitely evened out after the first trimester.

melliebobs Thu 23-Jun-11 17:20:39

im a lil further behind you guys (5+6) but hungry all the time. I don't thing the fatigue is helping because when i'm tired all i want is sugar to keep me going. Even though i know sugar is just a short term fix and i feel worse afterwards.

figgygal Thu 23-Jun-11 18:01:35

I was the same but mine was due to low blood pressure and eating was to keep the lightheadedness at bay. I think u have to respond to what your body is telling u without going mad and remember u have to lose it at the other end that's how ive calmed down

babycarmen Thu 23-Jun-11 18:17:47

ME! Im only 7+3 but starving all the time! And most food makes me want to puke so its quite a battle...

recklesspixie Thu 23-Jun-11 23:05:30

I'm 28 weeks now but was STARVING for the first 15/16 weeks, waking at 2am to eat scones blush the good news is that although I had a bump and huge boobs very early I'm quite neat now. I was so conscious in the beginning of eating correctly and not putting on weigh but so far I haven't put on any weight besides bump and boobs. My advice is eat when you're hungry, your body needs it.

Imo1 Fri 24-Jun-11 18:56:35

With DS I ate all through the first and last trimester. Getting up at 5am to have cereal and then going back to bed! I'm only 5 weeks now (and still not really believing it's happening again) eating 6 meals a day and stealing ds's food!

Stinkyminkymoo Fri 24-Jun-11 19:57:32

Oh me! I am 6+4 and storming through ginger biscuits. Was really annoyed yesterday as fell asleep on the sofa and the -greedyfucking- dog stole half the packet. Had to send DH out to get more. Yes, am already starting the diva behaviour grin

SnoozingCyborg Sat 25-Jun-11 00:39:24

Ugh, I'm barely four weeks and when I'm not vaguely nauseous (or snoozing), I'm ravenous. The munchies started... oh... four weeks ago! Quel surprise. I'm blaming the sugar cravings on the sudden stop in drinking.

pregnantmimi Sat 25-Jun-11 03:02:55

I ate lots in first trimester and put about a stone and a half on in the second trimester quickly lots half a stone and dont eat as much now as I did before try not worry too much its a ahrd time the first three months and if it helps eating its ok also it will only prob be firset three months you feel like thatxx

KellyCZ Sat 25-Jun-11 07:29:35

I had to eat constantly from 7 weeks to 14/15 weeks in order not to be sick. If I started to gag I had a packet of crisps or some bread and it would ease off for a while. Lucozade Original was great for that too. But now I'm 17 weeks and I have never had an appetite like this before. It's getting ridiculous. Literally every hour I have to have a decent snack because otherwise my vision goes blurry and I can't concentrate! It's getting expensive too!! But I'm just glad I can face fruit and vegetables now. I really couldn't till 2/3 weeks ago. Every pregnancy is different. Listen to what your body says and combine that with your own common sense and you'll be fine! And I think that you have to put some weight on to be ready for breast feeding?

AlpinePony Sat 25-Jun-11 09:46:16

I ate a huge amount in the first trimester of my first pregnancy and was terrified I was going to be one of those who puts on 7 stone. I put on just over a stone in the first trimester and half a stone during the next two, so not so bad in the end. smile

I'm now 6 weeks and have just started waking at 4am absolutely ravenous!

pregnantmimi Sat 25-Jun-11 20:45:17

wooooooh alpinepony given me hope lol i put a stone and half on but second trimester lost a bit of it was thinking myself I might put 7 stone on so hopefully wont be too muchx

PamBeesly Sat 25-Jun-11 21:02:20

I'm 5+1 so very early and already am eating loads of things I wouldn't normally eat, sweet things instead of actual meals, I never had a sweet tooth would have had chocolate once in a blue moon and now I can eat 2 bars a day plus biscuits, and they are now the most delicious things I've ever eaten. Also I am gone right off food I used to love, I can't look at beef, I used to be a big fan of chilli con carne can't even imagine cooking it now. And cheese, I just can't get enough of cheese.

pregnantmimi Sun 26-Jun-11 12:45:54

pambeesly i cant stop eating cheese either or picked onion munster munch lol

Mum2be79 Sun 26-Jun-11 13:43:47

13 weeks tomorrow.

I am really hungry in the mornings and at lunchtime but come 3/4pm, I can't stand the sight of food. So for me, I'm eating what I want, when I want during the mornings. Having said that I am now 9lbs lighter than I was when I came back from my holidays and was weighed at the hospital (I had suspected DVT but I was actually nearly 5 weeks pregnant and didn't know it!). So in 8 weeks, I've lost 9lbs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now