Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Please reassure me I'm not in labour yet!

(9 Posts)
lilysma Thu 23-Jun-11 08:47:14

I've had intermittent back pain/pressure all night with some period-type cramping (the latter is how my last labour started but I don't remember much back pain). This morning my bump is quite hard but seems to be like that all the time and back pain is also fairly constant. No cramps as such. Bowels a bit loose and feel a bit nauseous (but that could be anxiety!)

Has anyone had these kind of symptoms that have ended up going away?

I'm 36+4 so I guess it would not be a disaster if it happened now but really don't feel ready! haven't finished work (supposed to be working until next Friday) and was planning on a home birth but don't have any of the stuff here yet (e.g. birth pool). DD was 10 days late so the idea of this one being early is a bit scary.

ShowOfHands Thu 23-Jun-11 08:51:48

<checks cv>

Nope, not a midwife, sorry.

<rummages in bag>

Nope, can't find your cervix to check for you.

You may be in labour. You may have an upset stomach. You may have a UTI. You may be 36 weeks and enjoying the myriad forms of fun that presents.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you. You know what you have to do...

squiggleywiggler Thu 23-Jun-11 09:16:00

Plenty of people have these kind of symptoms that fade, come and go for a few weeks but for some it is the start of labour.

If you're worried speak to a midwife, but sounds like it's a bit of a 'wait and see'.

If you want to hang on in there for a few days - as I know home births can be difficult to access before 37 weeks - it might be worth taking the day off and taking it a bit easy.

My daughter was born at 37 weeks at home. She was 7 lbs 6 ozs and fighting fit!

nunnie Thu 23-Jun-11 09:26:28

I had my son at 36+3 he was 6lb 3oz he did have jaundice but this was due to severe bruising as he was brow, other than that very healthy and a very healthy 8 month old now.

I can't tell you if you are in labour though. I would contact midwife and see what she/he suggests.

Good luck.

lilysma Thu 23-Jun-11 10:03:07

Thanks everyone, esp for reassurance that your DCs born a little early are fine.

Yes, I realise I am being daft, showofhands and no-one online can actually tell if I am in labour or not! I just wondered if anyone had had these kind of symptoms that had then gone away...I'm seeing my midwife this afternoon anyway, so will see what she says. Just got in a panic - lack of sleep and 36 week hormones I guess blush. I remember I was an emotional mess for the last month last time.

NightLark Thu 23-Jun-11 10:05:18

I've been having those symptoms for 2 weeks now - baby is still securely inside and I'm now 40+3 and very cross. So do call the midwife, but don't assume baby is imminent. The last month /6 weeks are soooo hard, sympathy.

lilysma Thu 23-Jun-11 10:30:04

Thanks Nightlark, I'd forgotten how horrible the last month was with DD - willed amnesia I guess. Hope it's all over for you soon!

nunnie Thu 23-Jun-11 11:08:33

Sorry should say this is how mine started, but didn't ease adn I was pushing within an hour of realising it was in fact happening.

If you are seeing midwife and feel ok till then, she/he will hopefully check you out and be able to advise one way or another.

lilysma Thu 23-Jun-11 17:13:14

Thanks again nunnie. Still have back pain but no major developments - midwife thinks it may be a UTI as I have some protein in my urine, so has prescribed anti-biotics. Guess I'll have to wait and see, but in less of a panic now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now