Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

33 weeks and pain under/behind ribs

(6 Posts)
sunshineoutdoors Wed 22-Jun-11 18:07:01

Hi, I'm 33 + 2 and for about the past week I've been feeling really uncomfortable behind the bottom of my rib cage on the left hand side. It almost feels like part of the baby is behind/under my rib cage, is this possible?

Just after any reassurance that other people have experienced this and any tips on how to relieve.... is it related to the way I am sitting? Shifting about is becoming quite uncomfortable and I'm conscious that I'm lounging about a lot more than normal rather than sitting up straight. Or is it just a case of grin and bear it, possibly with the help of paracetamol? If it is the baby being under there, is there any way to move her out the way?

I'd really appreciate any tips, thanks

Realitystrikesback Wed 22-Jun-11 18:15:25

Please get your bp checked. Pain behind ribs is a sign of pre-eclampsia.

Realitystrikesback Wed 22-Jun-11 18:20:19

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pre-eclampsia/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

sunshineoutdoors Thu 23-Jun-11 21:34:53

Thankyou Realitystrikesback

Blood pressure is fine and I don't have any of the other symptoms.... it's a bit scary though so thanks for making me aware of symptoms to look out for.

My pain is only on one side of my ribs and feels behind the rib cage rather than underneath near my abdomen. It has been lessening a bit so hopefully is nothing to worry about. I will be sure to check with my midwife asap though

SelinaDoula Thu 23-Jun-11 23:21:53

This is normal, its the uterus and baby pressing on your ribs.
Its driving me mad too!
www.babyworld.co.uk/information/pregnancy/pregnancyproblems/pregprobs_rib_pain.asp

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Fri 24-Jun-11 07:23:01

It's not always normal and should always be checked out. Pre eclampsia can be fatal for mother and baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now