Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Given amoxycillin for Group B Strep DURING PG??? Anyone else?

(6 Posts)
Tamashii Wed 22-Jun-11 13:47:21

Sorry - I have posted this in a few places to see if I can get as much advice as possible...

I am 26 weeks PG and have (once again) been diagnosed as highly colonized with Group B Strep. As my MW told me they have stopped treating you with Antibiotics via drip during labour in my area, I have been given a course of amoxycillin to take just now in the hopes it will kill of the GBS and I might not be GBS+ by the time of birth.

Anyone else been treated successfully/unsuccessfully DURING PG?? I have googled this a bit and not found too much but what I have found seems to point to the fact that IV penicillin during LABOUR is what is required.... Help please? I have also read way too much now about what can happen to the baby if he contracts a Group B Strep infection at birth and am really, really worried.

Thanks in advance for your help with this one...

edwinbear Wed 22-Jun-11 14:15:40

I tested +ve with DS and am due to have DC2 in Nov. I'm thinking about a home birth which would mean I couldn't have IV antibiotics. When I asked the midwife what would happen if I tested +ve again and would I therefore not be able to have a home birth, she said I would have a course of ab's running up to the birth, so it sounds like it is a method of dealing with it.

Tamashii Wed 22-Jun-11 16:57:20

Thanks edwinbear
Nice to hear someone else getting the same advice.

PotteringAlong Wed 22-Jun-11 17:01:40

I've tested +ve and been told that I will have a course of AB's running up to the birth in case the IV antibiotics don't get in on time. My MW presented it as just the way things are done in my Health Authority - I suspect it varies. So same here!

moregranny Wed 22-Jun-11 18:53:51

Tamashi, I have left you a message in childbirth smile

Tamashii Wed 22-Jun-11 20:58:12

Oh no PotteringAlong same boat then. A lot of my friends/relatives have never even heard of Group B Strep and don't really seem too bothered about it all. I am just concerned since I had the IV AB's the last time along with 72 hrs observation. I know the maternity centre is really, really busy this time round with a bit of a baby boom where I am and am worried that is contributing to the "no IV AB's in labour" issue here... Surely not but who knows...

Thanks for the replies moregranny I am going to order another test from the gbss site links so I can double check my GBS status towards the end of the PG.

Thanks again to everyone for your replies. It is really preying on my mind sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now