Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy Yoga

(14 Posts)
glitternanny Wed 22-Jun-11 10:26:31

I've found a couple of local yoga classes.

Has anyone done it?

One lady won't let you book just the yoga you HAVE to do the birth preparation classes too (for an extra £40!) I might not even be able to make them as theyre at 11:45-1:45 it would depend on work and if I wait til I'm on ml it might be too late! And im doing a version ln hypnobirthing do yhe two theorys could clash!
You have to book in terms and she stops over the summer!!

2nd lady you pay as you go, optional active birth class once a month on a sat if you want it!

I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

I have davina mccalls pregnancy DVD and a pilates one but haven't even upwrapped them! If u go to a class it may make me do something! OH suggested I bought a DVD and did it at home.

RugbyWidow7 Wed 22-Jun-11 11:25:02

I go and have found it really useful for learning breathing techniques for birth and also for feeling more agile / flexible. It's also been a great way to make friends in a similar position. I do pay as you go, and not sure I would have signed up to a course originally, though I would if I needed to now. I find it really beneficial.

KateeTheBump Wed 22-Jun-11 11:25:22

I would go for the PAYG option, IME anything that you sign up to in advance is a recipe for going for two weeks and then other things getting in the way - the other sounds a bit more relaxed!

I really enjoy pregnancy yoga, so can recommend it. My teacher is a former midwife so she spends some of the time talking through the issues, answering questions and giving tips and advice, which is fab. She also organises separate things like partner sessions nearer to child birth.

Have fun!

scepticalexpat Wed 22-Jun-11 16:39:39

I'm loving pregnancy yoga - so nice to do something properly active where you are sure the instructor is only telling you to do things that you can do safely. All the stretching of hips etc feels like it might even be some practical use when it comes to the birth. And it's great for relaxation as well as getting some exercise. Personally I would sign up for the pay as you go option - the other one sounds really rigid.

PotteringAlong Wed 22-Jun-11 17:03:55

I've been going for the last few weeks and am really enjoying it - fdoing the PAYG option but found it great for some help with stretching / strengthening and, like Katee said, am getting lots of other tips and advice too.

For relaxation I can't fault it - it's been great.

CrazyAlien06 Wed 22-Jun-11 21:18:12

i have been trawling the internet to try to find a class near me but no luck sad

glitternanny Wed 22-Jun-11 21:25:21

Have you tried looking on netmums

missingmyflatbelly Wed 22-Jun-11 21:39:50

I did it it was brilliant seriously I can't recommend it enough. Also I did davinas postnatal DVD I thought it was really good

MrsTMT Thu 23-Jun-11 08:56:35

I really loved the pregnancy yoga and also can't recommend it enough! It was good exercise but we also learned about good birthing positions and breathing to help during the labour. And it also really helped me to relax. The PAYG option sounds very good too.

Asturimama Thu 23-Jun-11 09:37:30

I was also thinking about joining a class, do you know when (i.e. how many weeks) you should start? Is there a limit as to how late you can join? I am already 28 weeks, not sure if it's too late.

KateeTheBump Thu 23-Jun-11 09:43:41

28 weeks should be fine, my sign-up bumpf said that after 38 weeks was too late to start, so you should have a good 10-14 weeks depending on when the baby comes wink

Xiaoxiong Thu 23-Jun-11 09:43:55

I couldn't make any of the classes in my area as they were all during the day on weekdays, so I bought a couple of DVDs which I've been doing when I can - the best one by far is the special pregnancy one with tara lee, which focuses on using yoga to help with pregnancy-related ailments (I particularly got it to try and address my sciatica, which it has really helped with), and practicing relaxation and breathing techniques which can be used during labour.

There's a section on two-person yoga for labour but DH is a bit dubious so we haven't tried it yet - I'll keep working on him!

mrsravelstein Thu 23-Jun-11 09:45:07

i started doing yoga when pregnant with ds1 10 years ago - i loved it and still do it now

harassedinherpants Thu 23-Jun-11 11:10:16

I just had my first preg yoga last night and it was great. I was a bit worried as the lady that runs it is NCT, and I'm not keen on the NCT in this area. But she was just lovely. It's £8.00 per week for 1.5hours which we pay half termly, and a break over the summer.

Strangely, my lower back isn't at all achey today....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now