Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Omeprazole in pregnancy?

(12 Posts)
Annie456 Tue 21-Jun-11 19:36:25

heartburn city...it's taken a turn for the unbearable! DH has a prescription for omeprazole and I'm pretty sure it's ok in pregnancy but wanted to know if anyone else has been prescribed it? I'm desperate and gaviscon isn't doing the job!!!!

babloogirl Tue 21-Jun-11 19:37:52

I had it prescribed by my doctor, so it is safe during pregnancy...

Heatburn are horrible!!!!!

IhateSunday Tue 21-Jun-11 19:49:32

I've been on 20mg omeprazole since about 16 weeks.... and I'm having bubba tomorrow!
wonderful stuff!!

quickchat Tue 21-Jun-11 19:57:23

Both of my babies were on it. One from 5 weeks old so It is definitely a safe enough drug.

allthefires Tue 21-Jun-11 20:01:31

I have been prescribed it and deceided not to take it. A similar drug from the same group has been found to have links to nervous system problems in baby.

I have been sick everyday for 20 weeks. Mainly due to reflux/acid.

Also its not your prescription its your DH. I really wouldnt unless a doctor advises it.

Annie456 Tue 21-Jun-11 20:54:45

Thanks for all the advice. Fwiw, I'm not planning on tak

Annie456 Tue 21-Jun-11 20:56:29

Oops..fwiw I'm not planning on taking it regularly, I just want to know that it's there when it gets as bad as this which is perhaps once per week - usually on my days off when I'm napping during the day. I may go and get my own prescription but I'll only take it as and when needed.

clarabella18 Tue 21-Jun-11 21:13:25

i had terrible heartburn and acid reflux during my pregnancy and had previously been on omeprazole before coming pregnant.

i tried to take gaviscon when pregnanat but doc said i coupld take the omeprazole if i wished. i did when it got too bad for the gaviscin to do any good.
DS2 was born happy and healthy 6 weeks ago smile

allthefires Tue 21-Jun-11 21:22:01

If you are going to take it please at least get your own script. At least it anything happens doctors know you have been taking it,

Dartfordmummy Tue 21-Jun-11 22:25:47

I was told by my doctor to not use my omeprazole and to use Gaviscon instead. He consulted his big thick bible before he told me this.

warthog Tue 21-Jun-11 22:32:32

i use omeprazole all the time - probably for the rest of my life and take a 20 mg dose. i took it with my two last pregnancies and had to up it to 40 mg as it was so bad. i consulted a gastroenterologist before doing this. he said it wasn't classified for use in pg but it is low risk. it's been around for a long time. it was up to me. a lot of drugs they use in delivering babies aren't classified for pg, according to my obstetrician!

i had to take it as my symptoms were so bad.

both babies from these pg's were fine and still are. i've been on it for nearly 5 years now.

you MUST get your own prescription though.

i also don't believe it will work if you take it once a week. i think it has a build-up effect.

Bumpsadaisie Wed 22-Jun-11 11:46:28

Ive just got some and the leaflet expressly says is OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now